Non-motoring > Llunch in Llanelli Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 28

Llunch in Llanelli - WillDeBeest
Another 'where to eat?' request. Mrs Beest and I will be there tomorrow for an afternoon funeral. If the M4 is kind we'll be there in time for an early lunch; if it isn't we'll probably be in the mood for a bite afterwards before we set off east. What are the panel's top tips please?
 Llunch in Llanelli - Armel Coussine
Don't utter this thread title with your mouth full of food, especially if you are standing facing someone.

Just don't, even if your Welsh pronunciation is perfect.
 Llunch in Llanelli - Duncan
There you go. Right in the middle of Lanelly.

tinyurl.com/zpmfe9e
 Llunch in Llanelli - R.P.
That's one Spoons I wouldn't go to. Once was enough some years ago. Tumbleweed when I walked in with a very large (muscular) colleague....I think they wanted to fight.
 Llunch in Llanelli - Alanovich
Well if you want to dive in to the sticks a bit further, I can recommend:

ypolynrestaurant.co.uk/

My Mum used to own it and still lives nearby. She says it's better these days...........

Used to be a rough farmers' pub in my youth, was terrified to go in there. English was a foreign language for sure.

Sorry to hear it's not an altogether fun trip.
>> My Mum used to own it ....

You're not Welsh, are you?
No but Mum's partly Welsh and has lived there (Welsh Wales) permanently for about 25 years.

I'm a mongrel with an English RP accent. British, you could call it.
Looks lovely, Vić, but we're already at full stretch to get there and back in a day - 3h each way - so there'll be no time for scenic detours. Spoons then? Really?
 Llunch in Llanelli - Harleyman
>> Looks lovely, Vić, but we're already at full stretch to get there and back in
>> a day - 3h each way - so there'll be no time for scenic detours.
>> Spoons then? Really?
>>

Regrtettably there's naff all else in Llanelli. If, by the way, you happen to spot a dark red BMW motorbike heading Midlands-ish on your travels, it'll probably be me; on my way to a funeral in Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

Are you going to your friends' house BTW or straight to the crem?

We'll watch out for you, H-Man; silver Mercedes estate in our case - although you'll probably be gone before we arrive unless yours is a very late funeral or a very fast bike.

Church then pub, are our instructions. Nothing fancy, but that's hardly the point.
>> We'll watch out for you, H-Man; silver Mercedes estate in our case - although you'll
>> probably be gone before we arrive unless yours is a very late funeral or a
>> very fast bike.
>>
>> Church then pub, are our instructions. Nothing fancy, but that's hardly the point.
>>

Won't be rushing, hardly the weather for it though tomorrow doesn't look too bad. I'd have gone in the car but it's a bikers' funeral, plus any hold-ups on the M42 can be weaved through much easier on the Beemer.

I'm staying the night in Ashby so pub is de rigeur; the deceased is a much-loved lady whom I'd known for the better part of 30 years in the Harley scene. Serious party animal so we'll celebrate her life in the way she celebrated life herself.
>>
>> Spoons then? Really?
>>

Yep.

Friday is fish & chip club day.
And no, sadly, it's not for fun. We're going to support two friends we've known since student days, who've suffered the kind of loss the rest of us parents just have nightmares about.
 Llunch in Llanelli - Zero
I'd stop for a good breakie in England, then something on the way back when you get over the bridge.
>> I'd stop for a good breakie in England, then something on the way back when
>> you get over the bridge.
>>

Does your distaste for Welsh cuisine mean that you're unlikely to invade the Principality? ;-)
Only south wales.
Even the MaccyD's are fatal in South Wales

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-35490011
 Llunch in Llanelli - Roger.
Take your own sarnies. Llanelli is a wasteland.
Home now. M4 was kind on the way there - computer reported an average of 67mph over the 177 miles! So we had time to eat, which was easiest to do at the pub where the Afterwards reception happened. Chain (not Spoons) but clean and friendly, and a place to leave the car and walk ten minutes to the church for the ceremony.

Llanelli is run down, undoubtedly, but rather fine in parts. We had time to waste before the reception, so we went for a wander and found the Town Hall and lots of little churches and chapels, one bearing a blue plaque commemorating a visit by Emmeline Pankhurst, no less.

Glad we went. I hadn't been to a young person's funeral since I was one myself but everyone did well. The coffin was one of the most beautiful inanimate things I've ever seen, in two-tone basketwork and draped in white and green floral cascades; not a brass handle anywhere. Too bad the girl I last saw eating our Christmas leftovers had to be inside it.

>> a brass handle anywhere. Too bad the girl I last saw eating our Christmas leftovers
>> had to be inside it.

Someone in your house is a very bad cook indeed then.
 Llunch in Llanelli - sooty123
No, not in the slightest.
}:---)
Not guilty on this occasion - and no need for scowlies. I did study the pub's Mothers Day [sic] menu and wondered who'd treat their mum to a 'half roast chicken'. Campylobacter, anyone?
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 5 Feb 16 at 22:37
 Llunch in Llanelli - R.P.
Only as a side dish.
>> Too bad the girl I last saw eating our Christmas leftovers
>> had to be inside it.

Just received news that a boy from my son's U11 football team has died of a brain aneurism.

What a life this can be.
Indeed, Vić, and sorry to hear that. These things happen, of course, but we'd all rather they happened at a safe distance, to someone we don't know.
You know if I was in any way inclined to believe that there's a bloke with a big white beard in the sky, I'd have to give credit to the Christians and Muslims in concluding he's an egotistical, pitiless, vicious bar steward. Quite the nastiest character in all fiction.
The Jews have him too, don't forget. And the Christians, at least, seem to be used to being challenged on this point. The very earnest and only moderately toe-curling pastor last week got his answer in first in his address. It amounted to 'Nobody said it was easy'; perhaps he's got the same LP by The Four Horsemen as I have.

I shouldn't be catty about him because that's his job and it's a marginally more comforting message than 's*** happens'. We were there because it's the grandparents' church, and they made us very welcome. I talked afterwards over tea and biscuits with one of the 'elders', who noticed we seemed to have come a long way and asked if we were from the most distant place he could imagine...

...Swansea.
Yarss, I had meant to edit Xtians and Muslims with 'Abrahamoviches' or something, but missed it.

Swansea usually seems a long way from anywhere. Especially when you're in it.

>> Swansea usually seems a long way from anywhere. Especially when you're in it.
>>

In its defence, it has been transformed recently, new uni and a lot of development on the waterfront. Much better place than it used to be; it's not widely known that it suffered very seriously in WW2, the city centre being practically obliterated after the Luftwaffe bombed the carp out of it for three days.

Latest Forum Posts