Non-motoring > SCUM Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 52

SCUM - zippy
Eldest, as some of you may know is a medical student. Currently in her 4th year.

Today, after shopping with the Ex, she caught the train home and settled down for a two hour journey.

There was a medical emergency on the train where a young passenger had a heart attack (eldest seems to attract them - this is the third now).

There was a call for assistance from the driver and eldest went to help as did two nurses.

The passenger was saved and picked up by paramedics at the next station.

On returning to her seat, she discovered that all her shopping had been nicked!

I hope karma visits them!
 SCUM - Old Navy
And the others in the area of the theft and allowed it to take place are no better.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 6 Feb 16 at 20:44
 SCUM - mikeyb
Being slightly optimistic here................Could someone have thought that she had forgotten the bags if she was gone for some time and handed them to lost property?
 SCUM - zippy
>>Being slightly optimistic here................Could someone have thought that she had forgotten the bags if she was gone for some time and handed them to lost property?

It was a small station. Train waited until incident was over but some people were noticed getting off the train.

Luckily the stolen shopping was under £40, but its not the point!

Police apparently advised and eldest has been given a crime ref number and told they will check to see if the train or station had CCTV.

Not holding out any hope of recovery.
 SCUM - zippy
>>And the others in the area of the theft and allowed it to take place are no better.

Fair point, but benefit of the doubt - either didn't notice or too intimidated to do anything.
 SCUM - No FM2R
I'd rather my daughter was like yours with all the lost shopping in the world than have a child who would steal from a helper.

Ultimately you are more fortunate than the scroat's Father and your daughter is more fortunate than the scroat.

Having to deal with such scum is awful, but imagine actually being such scum.
 SCUM - R.P.
What Mark says. My niece (now "Juniour" doctor) ends up in these scenarios. She looks about 15 which doesn't help her credibility as a very capable and quite experienced young doctor. Karma will strike. Bless your daughter.
 SCUM - henry k
Zippy
My support to what Mark & R P have posted.
You are proud of her actions and it might have been a drug addict who took her bag ( and another patient who is in need of help.)

My daughter has responded on flights and in pubic location on several occasions.
I was driving locally when she shouted stop and ran to help a guy.
She took command of the police and all others there ( including me) until the ambulance arrived.
When I enquired if the guy was OK she replied " He may look OK to most folks but he is unlikely to survive" Sadly she was right.
 SCUM - zippy
Thanks everyone!

Up late because we have been chatting on line. She had gone to bed but woke up about midnight and asked if I minded a chat. As I was up it was no problem - and its not a school night!

She is on a bit of an adrenaline rush, very excited and not at all worried about things stolen.

This is her third, a suicide attempt, an overdose (requiring ages of chest compression because an ambulance could not get on site - thank goodness for passing squaddies who were more than happy to help) and this one.

Apparently the girl was 16. She did have a heart attack and the paramedics thought she would be alright.

Eldest is happy that she was able to help at all.

I am proud of her, she is a gem!
 SCUM - Fursty Ferret
What a fantastic girl. Sorry to hear about the shopping being nicked, but as you say these people are scum.

>> Apparently the girl was 16. She did have a heart attack and the paramedics
>> thought she would be alright.

Anyone aged 16 - 35 can grab a free ECG and echocardiogram if needed from CRY. They visited my athletics club and screened everyone - interesting experience and my ECG was reviewed by a pair of cardiac research Fellows and a consultant 'cos it was a bit wonky (occasional prolonged QT).

www.testmyheart.org/

If you've got kids or you know someone who's active in sport then you'd be mad not to take them up on their offer.
 SCUM - CGNorwich
And perhaps as important do take a first aid course and not be one of those people who just stand around in the case of an emergency. A little knowledge is a great confidence booster and you really can save someone's life.

Do trains now all carry emergency defibrillators? They surely should.
 SCUM - WillDeBeest
...has responded on flights and in pubic location...

Glasses, Henry!
}:---)

But you and the others are right: better to be, or to have brought up, someone who instinctively does the right thing.
 SCUM - Old Navy
Some youngsters are real gems, I was wheeled out of an ambulance into A&E and was met by one of my daughters school pals, then a junior doctor, with a cheey "Hello, xxxxxxx what have you been up to". Known as a dizzy blonde to us she is now a local GP who has a reputation for not suffering malingerers gladly. There are three very good friends from their school days, the doc, a teacher, and a stay at home mum who runs a successful buisiness. My bit of the trio is not a doc or teacher but has turned out well, as has her sister.
 SCUM - sooty123
>> Having to deal with such scum is awful, but imagine actually being such scum.
>>

Good post, but I doubt they think of themselves as scum. I doubt the thought even enters their heads.
 SCUM - Manatee
Well imagine then being the parent of such scum.
 SCUM - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Well imagine then being the parent of such scum.
>>
I'd hazard a guess that the parents are where the filth get their moral compass from.
 SCUM - CGNorwich
>> >> Well imagine then being the parent of such scum.
>> >>
>> I'd hazard a guess that the parents are where the filth get their moral compass
>> from.
>>

An interesting insight into prejudices.

Without any evidence or descriptions of the people in the carriage where the shopping went missing or any description of the occupants of the carriage we have landed upon the view that this was the work of people described as "scrotes", "scum" or "filth" and even condemned their parents as falling within the same groups.
 SCUM - Manatee
>>we have landed upon the view that this was the work of people described as "scrotes", "scum" or "filth"

I agree that typing the parents is a bit of a stretch, but nicking people's possessions on a train is a pretty scummy, filthy, scroty thing to do - I suppose it's just possible that the thief was someone deserving of sympathy - is that what you meant?
 SCUM - CGNorwich
"I suppose it's just possible that the thief was someone deserving of sympathy - is that what you meant?"

No what I meant is that we have decided without any evidence that the theft, if that is what it was, can be attributed to a subclass of people labelled "scum" or "scrotes" which most will take to be young and probably male persons without much in the way of upbringing or education.

Might have been the rather smart lady in the seat opposite or the ticket collector for all we know
 SCUM - No FM2R
I don't care how they dress, that seems a shallow metric for someone worried about prejudices , but someone who steals from a helper is scum.
 SCUM - sooty123
>> No what I meant is that we have decided without any evidence that the theft,
>> if that is what it was, can be attributed to a subclass of people labelled
>> "scum" or "scrotes" which most will take to be young and probably male persons without
>> much in the way of upbringing or education.
>>
>> Might have been the rather smart lady in the seat opposite or the ticket collector
>> for all we know
>>

I don't think anyone before your post mentioned age or class or gender. Referencing to upbringing and parents yes.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 7 Feb 16 at 16:39
 SCUM - CGNorwich
"I don't think anyone before your post mentioned age or class or gender."

Not they didn't. However If someone said a scrote just got on the train what sort of person would spring to mind? I doubt it would an image of an elderly gentleman in in a pin stripe suit or a pretty young girl.

SCUM - sooty123
>> Not they didn't. However If someone said a scrote just got on the train what
>> sort of person would spring to mind? I doubt it would an image of an
>> elderly gentleman in in a pin stripe suit or a pretty young girl.
>>

I didn't really think of anyone tbh, interesting assumtions you made though.

Who did you imagine?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 7 Feb 16 at 16:55
 SCUM - Manatee
Scrote is as scrote does. Ditto scum and filth. I hadn't imagined any age or sex.

I have come across a fair few respectable looking scum. Just about everybody who has admitted fault for a car accident with members of my family and friends has turned out to be a barefaced liar when they put the claim in.
 SCUM - CGNorwich
>> Scrote is as scrote does. Ditto scum and filth. I hadn't imagined any age or
>> sex.
>>
>> I have come across a fair few respectable looking scum. Just about everybody who has
>> admitted fault for a car accident with members of my family and friends has turned
>> out to be a barefaced liar when they put the claim in.
>
And I suspect they see themselves as honest law abiding citizens.

SCUM - Runfer D'Hills
Perhaps it shouldn't be but it's amazing how many people lie and cheat especially when it comes to money. I get annoyed with someone most weeks on that very subject. Not a single someone but a depressingly predictable series of them. Mainly women for some reason, business men tend to tell you when they can't pay and try to make some arrangement to clear their debt over a longer period whereas the business women are far more liable to denial and subterfuge such as falsely claiming goods were faulty or something, or that they didn't order them when they clearly weren't and they clearly did. It's a shame really. I'm not naturally inclined to be discriminatory but I've been cheated by and lied to by far more women than men. To the extent that I'm far more likely to trust a man's handshake than a woman's promise.

Odd really and fairly depressing.

SCUM - sooty123
>> Odd really and fairly depressing.
>>
>>
>>

I think it's perhaps they think it will come to confrontation and so try and avoid tha even if it means denial.
 SCUM - Manatee
Saying you can't pay is admitting to a fault. Not something that certain people find easy, or even conceivable. Is that a female trait?
 SCUM - Runfer D'Hills
Well, for a bit of amateur psychological observation, they tend to claim outside forces having caused any difficulty rather than admitting having brought problems upon themselves. And as the supplier trying to recover debt from them they try to blame you for their predicament rather than hold their hands up to their own failings or errors.

Some are more than skilled at confrontation, seemingly believing that if they tell the same lie often enough and loud enough that it becomes the truth.
 SCUM - WillDeBeest
... I've been cheated by and lied to by far more women than men.

Only your truck, your dog and your cowboy boots have never let you down?
 SCUM - Runfer D'Hills
If it were not so true it would be funny.

Yee hay !

;-)
 SCUM - Ian (Cape Town)
To use a word: Borrox.
If I find a bag, package, phone, documents or wallet on public transport, or on the street, I make it a point to try to track down the owners.
That is how I was brought up... by my parents.
The good student did her civic duty. The person or persons who half-inched the gear didn't.
But let us not get ahead of ourselves here - they may have handed it in at the local police station or lost-property office.
I won't be holding my breath, though.

Moral compass. Some have, some don't.

SCUM - Robin O'Reliant
What Mark said.
 SCUM - Dutchie
Not that surprised,people go to a funeral or on holiday and their house is burgled.

Their are good people and plenty of low lives I'm afraid they way of the world.
 SCUM - Clk Sec
>> Karma will strike. Bless your daughter.

My thoughts, too.
 SCUM - Armel Coussine
>> I'd rather my daughter was like yours with all the lost shopping in the world than have a child who would steal from a helper.

You wouldn't have such a child would you FMR. It's absolutely inconceivable that any descendant of mine would do such a thing.

There's a fair amount of it about though. Morality isn't what it used to be in my youth I'm afraid.
 SCUM - No FM2R
>You wouldn't have such a child would you FMR

I don't think so AC.

Thing is, I am sure that Ian is correct and much/most of this scum gets its moral compass from its parents.

However, I have known scummy people with perfectly, pleasant, decent and honest parents. So firstly it can quite clearly happen, and secondly imagine the devastation of being a decent person with scum as offspring.
 SCUM - henry k
>>However, I have known scummy people with perfectly, pleasant, decent and honest parents.
>> So firstly it can quite clearly happen, and secondly imagine the devastation of being a decent person with scum as offspring.
>>
Good friends who are great parents had problems with their daughter when at school.
Police involved etc etc etc.Social services the lot.
Fortunately Mum was 100% up to speed on the details of how the authorities work.
There seemed to be no way out.
They were, in the end, forced to sell up and move house and hide their new location.
They are aware that the daughter has I think five children by a variety of fathers and has taken full advantage of all the state can offer.
So so sad.
 SCUM - No FM2R
>>So so sad.

Heartbreaking.
 SCUM - henry k
(Too late to edit )
These friends adopted said daughter and her brother.
Their son is still local and " normal". He has kept their location from his sister although I think he sometimes sees his sister.
 SCUM - devonite
When you spare the "Rod", you spoil the child! - Thank the bleeding heart do-gooders!.
A sharp clip at back 'o' lug worked wonders in my youth, and i like to think I turned out ok because of it!
 SCUM - No FM2R
>>and i like to think I turned out ok because of it!

No, you didn't.

However, it probably showed that your parents cared about your behaviour and standards and you turned out ok because of that care.

The clip around the ear was just one manifestation of that care, and IMO not a particular useful one.

You don't need to hit to have discipline. I have no moral objection to smacking children, I just don't think its effective.
 SCUM - Manatee
Spare the rules and guidance, and spoil the child; but minimise the rules to what is necessary, and also put some trust in them. I don't think hitting increases trust, develops self esteem, or a sense of responsibility. But maybe we were lucky too.
 SCUM - Armel Coussine
>> You don't need to hit to have discipline. I have no moral objection to smacking children, I just don't think its effective.

You're right of course FMR. It's just that parents are sometimes wound up until they explode into (usually very mild) violence. Mine were gentle and loving, but even they could be driven beyond endurance. I can only remember one proper spanking, across the old man's knee, but I can't remember what it was for. In any case it wasn't responsible for making me the excellent person I am. Nor were my mother's painless slaps on the back of the hand.

:o}
 SCUM - Dutchie
And look what you turned out to be A.C/;)

My mother could hit if she was wound up.She had a temper.The old man chased me once up the stairs when I told him to go back to sea.He never hit me like I said my mother was unpredictable.

At the Schippersschool like a boarding type of school in Dordrecht the teachers did hit.

One night I had a bit of a dispute regarding praying before we went to bed.I was send to the headmaster who starting to hit me in the face.And no little slaps either.After the third or fourth smack I lifted my little fist I was eleven or twelve.I was going to hit back and he stopped.

I hate violence it never helps but through my life I have had a few differences with people.
 SCUM - Armel Coussine
Three or four of the eight schools I went to used 'corporal punishment'. The cane used to cut one's bum and I once had to beg my parents not to complain... I had been naughty after all, and we were all in the same boat. It would have seemed wimpish.

My last school was a Jesuit public school. They used a thing called the ferula, a heavy rubber cosh like something the SS might have used on Jews, on one's hands, and it hurt a hell of a lot but left no scars or injury.

All the same it felt a bit infra-dig being beaten when you were 17 and almost grownup. Times have changed but I sometimes wonder whether they have changed for the better. Some children are pretty horrible these days.
 SCUM - Runfer D'Hills
Our ( Scottish ) teachers used the tawse. A thick leather belt split at the ends. They were supposed to be a standard size ( about 2' long ) but some teachers had them specially made much longer.

One old geography teacher used to always greet her first year of senior school pupils ( 11-12 year olds ) by marching into the first class of the Autumn term in one of the old lecture theatre style classrooms, placing a box of chalk on the lectern, producing this 6' tawse from beneath the folds of her accedemic gown, whipping it expertly to the side and behind her and bringing it crashing and loudly down on the box of chalk, exploding it in a cloud of white dust and following the settling of that, uttering her introductory words of "Good morning gentlemen, do we understand each other?"

You have never experienced a silence like it.
 SCUM - Alanovich
>> Some children are pretty horrible these days.
>>

What's new?
 Kids are precious and precocious - zippy
Kids have a special program built in to them that tests parents to destruction.

I know I pushed my folks to the limit and beyond and I know that mine have visited the same on me!

It is good that it is only short term and equilibrium is restored very quickly and I reckon that you end up loving and trusting them all the more for it.

Kids are precious and precocious - Dave_
>> Kids have a special program built in to them that tests parents to destruction.
>> It is good that it is only short term and equilibrium is restored very quickly

Oh, I do hope that is the case. Really i do.
Last edited by: Dave_ on Sun 7 Feb 16 at 22:52
 Kids are precious and precocious - commerdriver
>> Kids have a special program built in to them that tests parents to destruction.
>>
>> It is good that it is only short term and equilibrium is restored very quickly
>>
As a wise old man once said to me "grandchildren are the reward for not murdering their parents in their teens" to which I would add, those and the nice young adults these teenagers grew in to.
 SCUM - Cliff Pope

>>
>> I hope karma visits them!
>>

Time wounds all heels.
 SCUM - Pat
>>I hope karma visits them!<<

I hope it's been handed in and you all have to do three Hail Mary's and ask for forgiveness;)

Pat
Latest Forum Posts