Non-motoring > Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 18

Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - Westpig
What a top man

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/12148499/Now-thats-silver-service-Waiter-vaults-live-tracks-to-save-blind-woman-55-from-train.html
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - Armel Coussine
Yes. Either of them could have been electrocuted too.

What a damn useless guide dog. Or perhaps he did it on purpose and was disappointed by the result.
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - Zero
Guide dogs are some of the stupidest animals on earth. I watch one once walk through a pair of swing door, the one the dog went through was open, the one on its owners side wasn't.
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - zippy
>>Guide dogs are some of the stupidest animals on earth. I watch one once walk through a pair of swing door, the one the dog went through was open, the one on its owners side wasn't.

That belongs in the "old jokes thread".

I feel terribly bad for sniggering, but it's not the dog's fault that the owner wasn't behind the dog.
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - sooty123
You can't really expect them to be directly behind. But it did make me snigger too.
>>What a top man

Very brave, considering the train was expected!

Correct thing to do would have been to get the station staff to signal the train, but by then it could have all been too late!

There was a case of a station employee, who saw a woman in a wheel chair roll onto the tracks.

He and another member of the public, jumped down (Overhead line so no power issues) wrestled the woman and chair back up to the platform just before the train came.

The Railway employee was suspended, disciplined and sacked for failing to follow the correct rules - which was to inform the NR control centre who will inform signaller who will stop train before rescue attempt made.

After the union threatened to pull everyone out on strike, the employee was reinstated with a warning.

>>The Railway employee was suspended, disciplined and sacked for failing to follow the correct rules - which was to inform the NR control centre who will inform signaller who will stop train before rescue attempt made.

Officialdom! Correct of course but wrong on so many levels!
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - MD
The following words from the newspaper report make me want to PUKE.

"She was helped up immediately by another passenger on the platform, and OUR member of station staff who was in the booking office at the time, was MADE AWARE of the incident and helped with arranging for her to go to hospital to be checked over.
"We will be making contact directly with the lady to check how she is."

Helped with arranging! Checked over!
Helped with arranging! Checked over!
>>

Sounds reasonable to me. Is this some strange pedant thing?
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - Duncan
>> The following words from the newspaper report make me want to PUKE.

Why did it make you feel NAUSEOUS?
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - Manatee
Plainly because the train company is trying to use it as a PR opportunity which is predictbale and pathetic if the most they can claim is "helping with arranging" to get her to hospital. Dialling 999?
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - MD
Thank you Manatee. At least someone 'gets it'.
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - Duncan
>> Thank you Manatee. At least someone 'gets it'.
>>

I think I was puzzled that it caused you so much annoyance.
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - Cliff Pope
>> >> Thank you Manatee. At least someone 'gets it'.
>> >>
>>
>> I think I was puzzled that it caused you so much annoyance.
>>

I think he was annoyed because both the rescuers had shown equal bravery and quick-thinking, but whilst they praised that of the passenger, they down-played that of the employee.

Presumably if the disabled person had been squashed by the train they would have praised the employee for correctly following Rule 274 (b) Sect 28.
 Waiter saves blind lady who fell on rail track - Manatee
Didn't Mr Hossein and "other passengers" get her back on the platform? The employees had no role in that to downplay.

Perhaps they are a bit reluctant to focus on Mr Hossein, what with the pending prosecution for trespassing on the railway:)
>> Didn't Mr Hossein and "other passengers" get her back on the platform? The employees had
>> no role in that to downplay.
>>
>> Perhaps they are a bit reluctant to focus on Mr Hossein, what with the pending
>> prosecution for trespassing on the railway:)

Yes the station staff have a responsibility under rule book GE/RT8000/G1 rule 1.7

1.7 Reporting trespassers
You must report anyone you believe to be trespassing to the signaller or Operations Control.

>> Presumably if the disabled person had been squashed by the train they would have praised
>> the employee for correctly following Rule 274 (b) Sect 28.

Its actually Rule book GE/RT8000/SS1 - Rule 2.3

2.3 Items falling onto the line
If anything falls onto the line which you consider is a danger to
trains, you must immediately tell the signaller.
If you need to go onto a platform line to retrieve a dropped item, you must:
• have been trained to do so at the location concerned
• tell the signaller your name and your employer and why you
need to go onto the line
• make sure that the signaller clearly understands on which line trains are to be stopped, including any adjacent line
• only go onto the line when the signaller gives you permission.
When you have retrieved the item, you must tell the signaller that you have returned to the platform, that the line is clear and trains can run as normal.
Sounds like helping to me.
Latest Forum Posts