Dr Osborne - Bromptonaut
Newsthump:

tinyurl.com/h8v44wl

[contains swearing]
Last edited by: smokie on Tue 9 Feb 16 at 23:33
 Dr Osborne - zippy
Struck off.
 Dr Osborne - Dutchie
He can join his brother with a high vis jacket checking building sites.
 Dr Osborne - Armel Coussine
They're both innocent-looking cats though. No doubt that helped lull their victims (not a word I like really) into a false sense of security.
 Dr Osborne - Alanovich
Spoilt little shi-ites with a sense of entitlement that makes you're average benefit cheat look positively angelic.

They're in charge, they're staying in charge, and we lap it up like good little subjects. Do as we say, not as we do.
 Dr Osborne - Manatee
I have always thought there is an establishment in this country that looks after itself and sod the rest of us. Something I always think about when contemplating voting Tory.
 Dr Osborne - WillDeBeest
Has Dr Osborne (presumably he keeps the academic title despite the striking off) been given preferential treatment because of his background? I've seen no suggestion that he has.
 Dr Osborne - Lygonos
No, but I presume Al feels that (at least in part) the way Osborne has acted has been helped by a priviliged upbringing +/- sense of entitlement (ie. extreme selfishness).

Private practice is where the great can make some extra money, and where the s*** can hide from their peers with an aura of being 'better than the NHS guys'.
 Dr Osborne - Alanovich
Yes, that's it Lygo.

And may I express my profound apolgies for the glaring apostrophe abuse above (you're/your howler). The fingers move faster than old Mr Brain.
 Dr Osborne - BrianByPass
I searched for stats on Docotrs, their political fleft/right leanings, numbers struck off, reasons for being struck off etc., but could find only the following.

From the BMJ
Since its establishment in 1858, the General Medical Council (GMC) has been responsible for overseeing the professional conduct of doctors and for disciplining those whose standards are inadequate. Its remit and sanctions have changed over the years, and it is only relatively recently that clinical competence has come within its disciplinary ambit. The GMC publishes overview statistics of its procedures1 but not, so far as can be established, detailed classifications of who is suspended or erased from the list of registered medical practitioners (LRMP)—those given the current most serious penalties.

The LRMP can, however, be downloaded—for a fee—for analysis. Unfortunately, the database contains only the names of those erased or suspended, without listing the reasons for the penalty.

One study, conducted through laborious perusal of the GMC’s minutes and reports in the medical press, classified the sometimes tragic, often salacious, and occasionally scarcely credible reasons for disciplining the 584 doctors erased in the first 133 years of the GMC’s existence from 1858 to 1991, before the council’s “performance procedures” were instituted.2 It found, for instance, that the most common reason for the erasure of doctors who qualified in England was adultery with patients and that for doctors who qualified in Ireland the reason was often alcohol related. It also showed that erasure from the register would not necessarily terminate a career: 16 doctors had been erased twice, and two, three times.

From GMC
www.gmc-uk.org/Factsheet___Time_since_Primary_Medical_Qualification_attained.pdf_50323970.pdf
www.gmc-uk.org/Time_PMQ_attained_2010.pdf_45104263.pdf

Unfortunately the above data is not sufficient to draw any conclusions on which doctors (private or NHS, left-wing or right-wing) are more or less likely to be "Spoilt little shi-ites with a sense of entitlement".
 Dr Osborne - Focal Point
"... presumably he keeps the academic title despite the striking off..."

Not many doctors are Doctors.

"Doctor" as a title may be used only by those who have been awarded a Research Doctorate university degree - the ultimate academic qualification. Such degrees include PhD (which includes a wide range of subjects with no connection to medicine) and MD (which applies strictly to a medical degree).

Adam (also known as Mohammed - oh yes!) Osborne's qualifications, according to his LinkedIn page, are:

St. Andrews University - Bachelor of Medical Science (BSc), 1996 – 1999

and

University of Manchester - Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), 1999 – 2003.

So I think this nasty little man has no claim to be addressed as "Doctor".
 Dr Osborne - Lygonos
A medical degree allows you to use the courtesy title 'Doctor' in the UK and most Commonwealth countries.

I believe dentists can also do so but many do not as they associate more with surgeons (traditionally taking the title Mr/Miss).

Vets can, but must also suffix with 'vetinary medicine' or somesuch so as not be be misrepresented as a human physician.

Funnily enough can't find Dr Osborne's details on the gmc website for registered practitioners.....
 Dr Osborne - Slidingpillar
And some, but not all, consultants drop the 'Doctor' appellation and become 'Mister' again.
 Dr Osborne - Bromptonaut
>> And some, but not all, consultants drop the 'Doctor' appellation and become 'Mister' again.

Somebody either here or another forum organised medical conferences. Had to find way to differentiate those who were Consultant Misters from plain Mr on delegate etc lists.
 Dr Osborne - NortonES2
Gold font for the consultants? Not to forget the consultants with merit awards: platinum perhaps.
 Dr Osborne - henry k
Our daughter was - Miss, then Doctor, then Miss, now Doctor again.
Not sure which she uses but in addition to the MB BS her DPhil (PhD ) was also in medical research, so a real Doctor x 2 ?

I think in Germany you can be Doctor, Doctor.
 Dr Osborne - Haywain
"I think in Germany you can be Doctor, Doctor."

I can confirm that - we had a number working in the company that I worked for. It amused the Brits such that whenever we heard it, we would burst into the Robert Palmer song 'Doctor, Doctor, gimme the news, I've got a bad case of runny poos'. (Bad case of loving you)

At one particular research institute where I worked as a student in the early 70's, I recall that the folks with PhDs would be slithering around hoping to scale up to a DSc. - which I took to be a notch higher up the greasy academic pole.

Dr Osborne - Focal Point
As Osborne been struck off, presumably there are now two reasons not to call him Doctor.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Fri 12 Feb 16 at 15:35
 Dr Osborne - tyrednemotional

>> Funnily enough can't find Dr Osborne's details on the gmc website for registered practitioners.....
>>

...he's on there as registration number 6079770 .

Status shown as

"Suspended
Medical practitioners tribunal on 11 Feb 2016.
Doctor erased. Not yet in force, pending an appeal period."

...if only we could erase his brother...... ;-)
 Dr Osborne - Haywain
"I have always thought there is an establishment in this country that looks after itself and sod the rest of us. Something I always think about when contemplating voting Tory."

I have always thought there is an establishment in this country that looks after itself and sod the rest of us. Something I always think about when contemplating voting for any of the rogues.
 Dr Osborne - Lygonos
Spot on, HW.
 Dr Osborne - zippy
I knew a Dr that got married to an ex patient. The patient transferred to another Dr.

I don't know if it's right or not but the patient just went in for a minor ailment and knowing her she was not vulnerable in any sense of the word - she terrified me in many more ways than I care to mention and always went straight for what she wanted.

Anyway, the point is that Dr Osborne did it to a vulnerable person and therefore that counts as being below the belt in my book.
 Dr Osborne - Alanovich
The other Adam in the news, Johnson, has been told by a judge that he 'abused his position in society'. Same applies here IMHO.

Some people truly believe that law and standards of decency simply don't apply to them.

I expect Johnson will do time. Rightly so. Is there much difference between what both of them did? Not really. Osborne should suffer the same fate.

Dr Osborne - Timeonmyhands
My uncle was struck off the medical register for having a sexual relationship with one of his patients, shame because he was a good vet.
 Dr Osborne - Roger.
That's beastly.
 Dr Osborne - Runfer D'Hills
Dogging was it I suppose?
 Dr Osborne - Dog
Careful now!

Dog.
 Dr Osborne - Focal Point
Was he Welsh?
Latest Forum Posts