Non-motoring > A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary Computing Issues
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 14

A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - Dog
www.newstatesman.com/politics/welfare/2016/02/real-cornwall-county-poorer-lithuania-and-hungary

Bonus track:

www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Car-left-resting-hedgerow-Cornwall-country-lane/story-28722880-detail/story.html
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - Harleyman
And yet some deluded souls wish for it to be independent.

As for the cars; seen similar more than once round here. It's why they fit cars with reverse gear, so one of the two can back up to a passing point.
>>It's why they fit cars with reverse gear, so one of the two can back up to a passing point.

My/our experience of living in Cornwall for 19 years is that some people simply cannot reverse.

I'm not being funny either as I've seen their efforts - with total disbelief.
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - Harleyman
Same down here. Rarely the locals though, usually city types with a weekend cottage.

Best ones are those whose efforts to reverse look like one of the old pinball machines. Or those who try (and fail) to reverse by looking through the back window with half a dozen kids in the car, ignoring the two perfectly serviceable door mirrors.

They're usually good for a spot of entertainment, provided you're not in a hurry. Sometimes wish i had a dashcam to film their pathetic attempts to drive.
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - sooty123
It reminds me of a thread on PH, a bloke came head to head with a woman in a country lane. She was 30 yards past a passing point, him alot further. However she wouldn't budge and a stand off occurred, after a while she got out of the car and shouted she couldn't reverse so she was walking home and did. Made me laugh anyway.
I remember when I first visited Cornwall over 30 years ago in my V8 P6. Proper Cornwall, down the Lizard peninsular.

Being a Londoner, I couldn't believe all the long narrow lanes with just about enough room for one car to pass through.

It gave me the heebie jeebies until I got used to it TBH, so I can in a way understand the plight of the hemmets & grockles to a certain extent but, reversing a vehicle, well that comes natural doesn't it ... to us men :)
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - MD
Simples really. Check there's fuff all behind and do it flat out. Now that's impressive to the uninitiated.

Once though..

I forgot to check!
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - Cliff Pope
>> Simples really. Check there's fuff all behind and do it flat out. Now that's impressive
>> to the uninitiated.

Easy if you just turn round and look through the rear windscreen.

I had to do it a few days ago. I met a horse box pulling a trailer coming up hill, so obviously I reversed.
I executed a nifty high speed reverse for about 1/4 mile to a passing place with firm enough verges, earning profuse thanks from the driver.

You have to be able to reverse competently round here. Tractors pulling long trailers loaded with big bales, and milk tankers on farm lanes, simply do not reverse.
And you need decent reversing lights too that properly illuminate the road.
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - Pat
I know that road so well, it's the one we take the caravan down to get to the site and so many times we've met a car and they won't/cant reverse so we have to.

I cannot believe those two were both locals and even attempted that manoeuvre!

Pat
'Ere tis:

www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.3640227,-4.3211599,3a,75y,263.46h,69.76t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sMm2E_3S_C1i_OuMgY6mMpg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - Westpig
>> Best ones are those whose efforts to reverse look like one of the old pinball
>> machines. Or those who try (and fail) to reverse by looking through the back window
>> with half a dozen kids in the car, ignoring the two perfectly serviceable door mirrors.
>>
>> They're usually good for a spot of entertainment, provided you're not in a hurry. Sometimes
>> wish i had a dashcam to film their pathetic attempts to drive.
>>
Had one yesterday in the lanes.

Some truly miserable old biddy in one of the world's smallest cars. All she had to do was drop back one car's length and pull in to the hedge about a foot...and then I could squeeze by.

She refused and gesticulated that I should reverse...uphill and around two tight corners.

I usually just do it, bit this time didn't like her dismissive wave at me, so I refused....eventually she dropped back and made a right pig's ear of it... and then scowled at me as I went past.
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - Westpig
>> www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Car-left-resting-hedgerow-Cornwall-country-lane/story-28722880-detail/story.html

That is almost a carbon copy of my recent accident in the van.
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - sooty123
Which one were you, the one in the hedge? ;)
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - Bromptonaut
Thought of your incident when I saw the OP link yesterday as this seemed astonishingly similar.

I've driven that road myself quite recently as it's in Miss B's back yard. Chapeau to Pat and Ian taking a caravan down there!!
 A county poorer than Lithuania and Hungary - Roger.
Yes - but - they are professionals!
Latest Forum Posts