Non-motoring > Slight Moss Problem Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 24

Slight Moss Problem - Clk Sec
If anyone has experience or removing moss from their tarmac driveway, without the aid of a high pressure hose, I would be grateful for their advice.

Yes, I know that I can Google this problem, but I would much prefer to hear from forum members:)

Thanks.
 Slight Moss Problem - CGNorwich
A hose,a broom and a considerable amount of hard work.
No O's in this house. We don't like waste.
 Slight Moss Problem - sooty123
Sounds like just a broom and even more hard work then.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Sun 14 Feb 16 at 14:22
I've already tried that method, and I didn't much like it.
Is the tarmac breaking up with lots of cracks in it?
No
How about something like this ?
www.phoenixamenity.co.uk/store/products/mmc-pro-moss-killer/
Yes that will kill the moss but at the end of the day you still have to sweep up the clumps of moss and wash the drive clean.
Yes, however it would things easier I would imagine.
 Slight Moss Problem - Bill Payer
Lawn sand was effective on moss in the joints of our block paved drive. Turned the blocks orange though!
 Slight Moss Problem - henry k
>> Lawn sand was effective on moss in the joints of our block paved drive.
>>Turned the blocks orange though!
>>
Or even a rust colour - due to the iron in most lawn type moss killers.
You can by that sort of moss killer in a spray bottle so could try it out on tarmac.
Allow the moss to die and then it should be easy to sweep up/off.
 Slight Moss Problem - Ian (Cape Town)
Stirling advice!

But for moss, boiling water and bleach at a 50:1 ratio, hard broom, and scrub like a mofo.
 Slight Moss Problem - Cliff Pope
Moss grows where there is a damp problem. Fix the problem?
The only damp problem is this years weather. No moss on our drive in earlier years.

Thanks for the responses so far.
 Slight Moss Problem - No FM2R
Liberal spreading of [not very] diluted Domestos. Decide to leave it to soak in for a while, have several large vodkas, forget about the whole thing, go to bed, get up in the morning slightly worried about potential state of drive, get distracted by coffee, go to work, remember at the weekend, brush it off effortlessly. Have vodka to celebrate.
>> have several large vodkas

A timely reminder. I've just put a couple of bottles of tomato juice in the freezer. They should be ready for 6pm.
 Slight Moss Problem - No FM2R
If you are thinking of Bloody Marys, may I suggest a little extra homework....

www.chilefoundry.com/2009/07/14/how-to-make-chilli-vodka-and-what-to-do-with-it-when-you-do/
Not always easy though.

I get moss on my drive near the garage. It north facing and the affected part never sees the sun and is the last bit to dry out when it rains. Fixing the damp problem would involve demolishing the garage and sawing down a 200 year old listed oak tree
Sometimes you just have to enjoy the moss.

This is my garage roof. Looks great doesn't it?

s1156.photobucket.com/user/cgnorwich/media/DSC_0192_zpsy5yjxsqz.jpg.html
 Slight Moss Problem - Ambo
It must make a nice contrast in season with the honeysuckle, if that is what the dormant stems are. We have a flat roof area which has an even more luxuriant growth of moss and provides heat insulation.

I take moss on the drive and side entrance seriously, the latter having given me a broken ankle when wet not long ago. My remedy is a metal-bristled broom and a strong jobbing gardener.
"It must make a nice contrast in season with the honeysuckle,"

It actually Virginia Creeper which looks great in the Autumn. Needs to be kept under control though!
>> This is my garage roof. Looks great doesn't it?

You are clearly not practising what you preach, CGN. Shame on you.
;)
Au contraire. My drive is regularly scrubbed but moss on the roof is rather attractive don't you think?

Slight Moss Problem - Aretas
Went round a garden centre a few weeks ago and they were selling brooms with 3 different bristle strengths.
Thinking of the moss on my drive I bought the toughest one. Works better than any other broom we have, but still very hard work.
Latest Forum Posts