Non-motoring > My favourite music album Miscellaneous
Thread Author: fluffy Replies: 101

My favourite music album - fluffy
My favourite music album is Nevermind by Nirvana.

Whats yours
 My favourite music album - Ted

No apostrophe, no question mark.

Duty pendant mode on !
Do we have to be so precise when it comes to grammar. I have tried to create a friendly debate about a favourite music album. You did not reply by giving your favourite music album. All you did was judge how I wrote the question.

Please do not be so cruel about my grammar.
 My favourite music album - Focal Point
You do have a point, although Ted was actually making a joke about another thread some time ago.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Sat 20 Feb 16 at 19:01
 My favourite music album - CGNorwich
Tell me Fluffy, has anyone ever said to you that,er, you are well, I don't know how to say it, sort of irrittating?

Do you get thumped a lot?
I have just two albums from Joy Division.
What I meant to say, is that I have bought, two Joy Division albums
 My favourite music album - Manatee
You have stumbled into the running joke fluffy. Note "pendant" rather than 'pedant'.

Yo Yo Ma's unaccompanied Bach cello suites. Glenn Gould's 1955 recording of the Goldbergs (the one he hums on). Most Steely Dan albums.
 My favourite music album - Ian (Cape Town)
Donald Fagen on his own.
Pretty good.
 My favourite music album - Focusless
>> I have tried to create a friendly debate

Sorry Fluffy but that friendliness isn't coming across very well in your posts - we're just seeing a series of questions. It feels more like an interrogation :)
Last edited by: Focusless on Sat 20 Feb 16 at 19:09
My favourite band is Nirvana but my favourite song is Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppline
Zeppline?

Didn't they do Hairway to Steven?
Zeppline?

Didn't they do Hairway to Steven?
 My favourite music album - Zero
>> Zeppline?
>>
>> Didn't they do Hairway to Steven?

I guess that was the double album?
Its been a long time since the rock n roll
She is buying a Stairway to Heaven.
Another top album is " kind of music" by Miles Davis
 My favourite music album - Manatee
>> Another top album is " kind of music" by Miles Davis

Do you mean Kind of Blue? I should have put that in my favourites too, along with Hot Rats (Zappa).
No Led Zepplin did " Stairway to Heaven"

They also did " Whole lotta Love"
 My favourite music album - Pat
>>No Led Zepplin did " Stairway to Heaven<<

So did Rolf Harris!

Pat
>> >>No Led Zepplin did " Stairway to Heaven<<
>>
>> So did Rolf Harris!
>>
>> Pat
>>

I thought Rolf did Smells Like Teen Spirit?
>> Do we have to be so precise when it comes to grammar. I have tried
>> to create a friendly debate about a favourite music album. You did not reply by
>> giving your favourite music album.

Ted is old. Very Old. He has no concept of "Album". Had you said, what is your favourite gramophone record, he would have had something to add.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 20 Feb 16 at 19:22
 My favourite music album - spamcan61
Forever Changes
 My favourite music album - Robin O'Reliant
Exile on Main Street.
 My favourite music album - John Boy
I don't have a favourite album at the moment, but I've listened to this over and over in the last few months:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4nm0Vvcz8
 My favourite music album - MD
I've tried listening John Boy. No sound here on iPad?
>> I've tried listening John Boy. No sound here on iPad?

Sound here, your problem.
Pardon
Swerking now fanks.

Twas better on silent!
>> Swerking now fanks.
>>
>> Twas better on silent!

Still your problem.

:-)
 My favourite music album - Ted
I don't care 'bout nuffink. But AC, Roger, Duncan and me's gonna get you Zeddo !

Beware the wrinklies !

Discuss.
Last edited by: Ted on Sat 20 Feb 16 at 23:04
 My favourite music album - zippy
>>No apostrophe, no question mark.

Never heard of them, are they any good!?

I have just bought a vinyl record player. I have Nirvana on vinyl. Yippi

I recommend vinyl albums rather than cds.
 My favourite music album - Dog
Have you got money, fluffy?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JORIP67xHfU

:}
I got vinyl record player for under £80.
 My favourite music album - Bromptonaut
>> I got vinyl record player for under £80.

PLenty available around that price point but you need to spend quite a bit more to get into 'vinyl sounds better than CD' territory.
I am happy with the sub £80 vinyl record player I bought.
Could you get me a Technics 1200mk2 for under £80 Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease!
Treat yourself to a sub £ 80 vinyl record player. The sound is excellent.
 My favourite music album - Bromptonaut
>> Treat yourself to a sub £ 80 vinyl record player. The sound is excellent.

The sound is OK. The £80 vinyl player does what it says on the box. But it's a long way from a Linn, Dog's Technics or my son's vintage Garrard.
"... vintage Garrard."

Oh, there you go. I have a 401 and a 301, inherited from my father.
Back circa 1980, a band called Adam and the Ants had an LP called 'Dirk wears white socks'

On it, was a track called 'Family of Noise'. The lyrics read:
A lot of people in this great big world
Just searching for the "Pure" sound
They're just looking to the machine
They don't listen to the noise

Fluffer, unless you have a massive background in music as a musician, it is all 'possession masturbation'.
"Fluffer '...masturbation'."

Ian, you are so naughty!
I enjoy listening to music not playing it.
I enjoy doing both.
So... do you really have a home studio where you can sit and sort out the nuances between vinyl and CD and MP3 and FLAC?

I think not.

Personally, I like what I hear, and prefer USB music in the car to FM broadcast.
At home, I rarely get time to 'listen' to music, and music at home is mostly background noise.
Same as my 'work' stuff is 100% concentration, yet Archer/Wilbur/Reacher-type novels are pure pap which entertain, but need no focus.
 My favourite music album - legacylad
About 30 odd years ago I bought a second hand Linn deck and a load of other separates...Naim amp, pre amp blah blah. I rarely listen to that system, although it does sound pretty b****y marvellous.
I'm not one for nights in listening to music.... More often than not I just plug my Bose QC 15 noise cancelling headphones into my IPhone and listen through that medium.
One day I shall get around to selling the 'old' system....a dealer in Chester recently offered me good money whilst I was spending a weekend there, so I know they are worth something!
Last edited by: legacylad on Sun 21 Feb 16 at 16:05
I have a Panasonic cd midi- system that produces great sound. I am not into music streaming or the use of iphones.

I like old fashioned vinyl.

Has it occurred to you that since the mid 80s, when CDs became de rigeur, the 'back end' systems of amp, speakers etc have improved immensely?
I can fit 200Gb of music in the space of a cigarette lighter.
How many LPs can you get in there?
 My favourite music album - WillDeBeest
Not sure what point you're making there, Ian. Yes, music can be enjoyable in all kinds of contexts, and I love the portability of modern media: no need to fill the car or my travel bag with CDs when an iPod Classic or a thumbnail size USB device will hold it all. I travel with the iPod, a phone and a beer-can sized JVC Bluetooth speaker for playing streamed MP3s in hotel rooms, vastly more capable and convenient than its 1990s equivalent. Similarly, the Sonos kit is the kitchen and bedrooms is fantastic for convenience listening.

But, short of being there in the hall (where I've spent many happy hours, so I know how music ought to sound) there's no substitute for moving air. Not sure the technology for doing that has advanced hugely in recent years, which is why my 1997 speakers and 2006 integrated amp will be here for a while yet.

But they really do show up the quality of what they're fed, and MP3 doesn't hack it in here. Well played vinyl does, certainly. But coincidentally I've spent a wettish weekend taking steps towards making my CD player redundant. The Sonos Connect on the bottom shelf of the rack can stream FLAC as well as MP3, and now that the network is performing better, Deezer Elite is back in play as a viable source. So I've treated the Connect to a Meridian Director DAC, which pushes the sound image properly wide and deep in a way its own DAC couldn't quite manage. And I've begun work on what will eventually become an all-FLAC library ripped from my CDs (which will require quite a few more wet weekends.)

So when my 1994 CD player eventually becomes unserviceable, I won't need to shop for another to replace it because the bit-perfect file that an expensive transport strives to pull off a CD is already present on the NAS and just needs to be delivered to the best DAC I can offer it.

Of course, the fun continues into the 24-bit world, of which I have no experience. The Director can do that but the Sonos can't, so any experiments will have to involve a laptop and the USB input. And then there's Meridian's new MQA technology, which sounds very exciting. It really isn't about the equipment; it's all about how much music it can deliver.
 My favourite music album - Runfer D'Hills
Top man, WdB! I think you managed to get more unintelligible acronyms in that post than any we've seen for quite a while.

;-)
 My favourite music album - Robin O'Reliant
>> Top man, WdB! I think you managed to get more unintelligible acronyms in that post
>> than any we've seen for quite a while.
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>>
Well posted, Runfer.

I was beginning to fear I might be the only one who didn't understand a word of that.
Really? Oh well, then, here's a quick glossary.

• FLAC: a method for compressing audio files so that they take up less disk space but without losing data. A FLAC file can be decompressed into an exact copy of the original; an MP3 can't.

• DAC: a digital-to-analogue converter. Reverses the digitizing process the recording underwent at the studio to create an analogue waveform that can be amplified and sent to the speakers. Basic DACs are everywhere - including phones - but the best ones cost serious money.

• Streaming: delivering audio or video content over a digital network without copying the entire file in one piece (that's downloading). The streaming player reassembles the data in the correct order and sends it to a DAC for decoding.

• A CD player consists of two basic sections: a 'transport' to read the digital information off the disc and reassemble it into a digital file (imperfectly because it's doing it on the fly) and a DAC to convert that file to a waveform. Systems like the one I'm planning dispense with the transport and use a streamer to present the digital information, which can be bit-perfect because it doesn't have to be read off a CD. Should, in principle, sound better even if the source data is no different.

Now
  • 24-bit: CDs are created from a master tape on which the music is recorded in 'words' of 16 bits, each representing the amplitude of the signal at the moment of sampling, and there are 44.1 thousand of these samples in each second of music - notated as a 'sample rate' of 44.1KHz. But the original studio recordings use both more bits (24) making it possible to measure the signal more accurately, and a higher sampling rate, typically 192KHz. This 'high resolution' audio has the potential to sound more detailed and believable, but all this extra data has to be stored and transmitted, which presents a problem for - say - streaming over the Internet.

• Which makes this interesting.
  • MQA: this one was new to me this month but has been a thing for a year or so. Meridian has devised a way to package a high-resolution audio file into a container that would normally hold only CD-resolution, and (they say) to put back all the intricate, precise details that influence our perception of rhythm and are typically lost or smeared over by the digitizing process. Haven't heard it yet - nor have many others outside the trade press - but it's technically fascinating and said to be musically impressive too. One to watch.
 My favourite music album - CGNorwich
I've now entered the "can you turn up the telly a bit, they're all mumbling I can't understand a word " stage so I think I can safely ignore most of that. :-)
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Sun 21 Feb 16 at 23:26
 My favourite music album - Crankcase
Talking of acronyms, fwiw, WdB, I found that very interesting thanks. Didn't know about MQA.

As to the vinyl versus "other stuff" debate, it's been done to death, but I'm firmly on the side of "proper vinyl". Whilst my system, bought in the eighties, wasn't anything like top end quality, consisting of a Technics direct drive player and just an Arcam amp with Wharfedale speakers, it still has a very different feel that I prefer to anything digital played through the same setup (as in swapping in a Ki signature Marantz CD player or worse, a poxy ipad), and it's lurvely.

However, never mind all that modern 4/8 track cassette stuff, if you want the sound of a needle in a groove but also portability, well, the thirties had you covered with the Tefifon. Things of wonder, they are and decades ahead of their time.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 22 Feb 16 at 08:56
>> Not sure what point you're making there, Ian.
>>
Apologies.
Just pointing out to the fluffer that vinyl is NOT the be-all-and-end-all, though many people today keep giving it large about the 'purity' of the medium.

Vinyl had its day. It has been superseded.
Its resurgence in the market, in my opinion, is because it is trendy, as opposed to pragmatic choice. Give me convenience, thanks very much.
Vinyl is high-maintenance, and unless you are buying 'mint' new LPs, is not going to deliver half as well as a decent CD or FLAC file.
At the 'convenience' end of the market, I'd agree, Ian. Vinyl isn't hard to look after but it does require a bit of care; there are two shops near me that sell secondhand LPs, and while I've bought some gems there, 80% of their stock is fit for the bin. Makes me want to cry when my discs from the 1980s have survived 30 years without harm. Do people let their dogs play them?

When it's good, though, it's still very, very good. Apparently we are sensitive to time differences as small as 2μs - well above the 'audible' ceiling - and analogue recording preserves these nuances of timing where digital squares them off. Makes for a wonderfully satisfying experience and well a little extra effort.

Still, time to listen to MP3s in the car on the way to work.
I read in the Daily Wail that 4-track cassettes are making a comeback!

Very interesting. And what it drew my attention to was that many albums and singles back in the day were 'produced' for specific mediums - the walkman, the boombox, car stereos etc
(On that note, I recall one particular single was sound-engineered to play through the tannoy system at Goodison Park!)
Still happens, Ian. Now that so much listening is done from low-quality files through cheap headphones, music is engineered to sound tolerable on that.

You also find the awful 'loudness war' dynamic compression to make a track (sorry, 'song') stand out on the radio. That squashes everything against the 0dB ceiling so it sounds loud on cheap equipment and unlistenably dense on anything with resolving power. (The Killers' Sam's Town is an album I love but I can't listen to it at home for this reason; if I record it into Audacity, the waveform looks like one long smear of spilt ink, with no clear space at all.)
Do you mean Daily Mail. I read the same article about the cassette tape. You can buy a personal cassette player with headphones from Bush for £20.
I bought the Sony MiniDisc that went obsolite.

I still think the MiniDisc could have replaced the Compact Disc.
 My favourite music album - Armel Coussine
>> I recommend vinyl albums rather than cds.

You're a man of taste fluffy. Analogue gives a far better, richer sound.

However a lot depends on the equipment, a couple of thousand quid's worth really, perfectly adjusted, with a new diamond stylus and the weight of the pick-up arm just right. Even then you may get some surface hiss.

A wad of vinyl on the stylus is a terrible depressing sight, often seen back in the day. Digital systems aren't subject to this sort of gross wear and soon overtake analogue if they get much use.
One for fluffy: www.bing.com/
 My favourite music album - tyrednemotional
...can't say Bing figures in my favourite music - my dad quite liked him though...........
 My favourite music album - Alanovich
What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney? Bing sings and Walt disnae.

(Glasgow accent required.)
My favourite song is Come as you Are by Nirvana.

Whats yours.
Up town top ranking. NO, not me! Althea and Donna and Fluffy. O:-)
You are Alan Freeman reincarnated and I claim my ten shillings
Miles Davis album called " Kind of Music"
Don't you mean 'The Sound of Blue'?
>> Miles Davis album called " Kind of Music"

'Kind of Blue'.

Miles could be terrific but he wasn't a favourite of mine. Too haunting and questing.
Sorry you where right. " Kind of Blue"
 My favourite music album - Fenlander
Love music.. love vinyl too... buy and sell loads.

But never getting drawn into feeding a new username playing forum boredom so expertly.
>> But never getting drawn into feeding a new username playing forum boredom so expertly.
>>
You could have fooled me!

I have just bought Joy Division two iconic albums.
>> I have just bought Joy Division two iconic albums.

AH - All revealed. Fluffy is Rattles southern cousin.
 My favourite music album - No FM2R
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=21847&m=482499
Is he still on that bus going to Spain?
 My favourite music album - RattleandSmoke
I have all the classic Joy Division albums on vinyl however some of them are new re-presses and not original.

I would say my all time favourite album is The Queen Is Dead by the Smiths just brilliant. As for an £80 turntable, well they play records but that is about it and many of them over time destroy the record because the tracking weight on them is far too high. I use a Project Debut MK2 with an OM10 stylus. Was tempted to buy a new deck after Christmas but I ended up buying a new DAC instead as a good service was all my Project needed and to improve on it I would really to spend around £500. I would simply rather go away for 10 days for that sort of money.

There is simply so much romance involved in vinyl that no FLAC or CD can re-produce and I now occasionally DJ at a vinyl night. I only have around 200 records on vinyl though but many of them are expensive rare records. The retail price of that would be in excess of £1000 but many of the records I bought new in the mid 2000's very cheaply and are now worth a small fortune.

Legacy I usually go by train but the coach has been great on occasions when I can't be bothered with all the connections or need to save money. This year I am getting a free Eurostar to Lyon from London so will spend a night in London and Lyon before getting the train into Barcelona.

Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Wed 24 Feb 16 at 19:53
 My favourite music album - Roger.
The best of ABBA
The best of The Seekers.
The best of The Carpenters.
Any Frank Sinatra.
Any EARLY Acker Bilk and his Paramount Jazz Band, any EARLY Chris Barber, Terry Lightfoot, Ken Colyer, other good Trad Jazz bands, The ODJB....

Don't like rock bands, heavy or light!
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 24 Feb 16 at 20:30
Nirvanas Nevermind.
Genesis Foxtrot.
Yes Relayer.
U2 Joshua Tree.
David Bowie Lets Dance.

And one for the road The Eagles Hotel California.
No I just like quality music.
I was pondering this question while I was out walking just now, and I came to the conclusion that I don't actually have a favourite album as such.
Stop sitting on the fence. Give all forum members your opinion. What is your favourite album?
I honestly can't name a particular album where I could say THIS is my favourite one.
 My favourite music album - Mapmaker
All that guff about vinyl, CDs etc. up-thread.

I find that most of the music I listen to is from Spotify or the BBC, through my iPhone. The sound quality is extraordinarily good (yes, it's a bit thin at the bottom, and you'll never shake the room with excessive volume) and best of all it comes through the house with me; kitchen, bedroom, bathroom, workshop.

The alternative is my sound system which is in the sitting room. But I never sit down there for a prolonged period in order to use it!
Do you use the higher quality paid for Spotify Mm, or just the free version?

I listen to a lot of music? on YouTube, which sounds quite acceptable to my ears via a half-decent Yamaha amp coupled to some Monitor Audios speakers.
I prefer vinyl records and the cassette tape.
 My favourite music album - Mapmaker
Paid for. I'd never cope with the ads...
Och aye.
Penrod. Tim Dawe.

Can we get back to basics please.
Not for the first time, fluffitudinous one, I haven't the faintest clue what you're talking about.
One of my favourite music albums has to be Revolver by The Beatles.
Was it in this thread that someone mentioned Jimmy Savile, and I replied with a play on fluffy's name and a bit of creative misspelling to produce a profane-sounding phrase?

If so I don't resent being censored. Sort of expected it indeed.
You can relax, AC.
www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?f=5&t=21936
Thank you JB.

Not censored, just incompetent. Tsk.

What a grown-up civilized site this is.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sun 28 Feb 16 at 16:50
 My favourite music album - R.P.
It's where it was. Next to a badly parked jalopy.
What about Genesis and Yes.

Iconic glamrock bands that were about in the 1970s.

Listen to " foxtrot" and " relayer" fantastic albums.
I have just bought Revolver buy the Beatles on vinyl.
I bought it years ago Fluffy, but thanks for the advice
I am just expanding my music collection.
Latest Forum Posts