Non-motoring > "Winging it" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 15

"Winging it" - Bobby
youtu.be/50lCL2Nlop4

So to what level of detail can you plan this and how much do you just need to "wing it" if you pardon the pun?
 "Winging it" - Old Navy
When a life is at risk it will be very well planned. Would you jump off a mountain not knowing a safe ish route or landing area? The ratio of descent to distance and any wind will be critical.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 20 Feb 16 at 22:06
 "Winging it" - Runfer D'Hills
Soooo want to try that before I die !!

Not immediately before you understand.

;-)
 "Winging it" - Zero
>> Soooo want to try that before I die !!
>>
>> Not immediately before you understand.
>>
>> ;-)

I get the feeling they go hand in hand.
Aye, it does look like it would be a really very bad idea to get it wrong. But what a rush it must be when you don't.
 "Winging it" - legacylad
I've watched lots of these videos and can only marvel at the size of their gonads. When younger I did a lot of pot holing at weekends, including quite tricky passages and negotiating sumps. Obviously with experienced people in a club. Later some technical climbing, over several years, given up after my second serious fall and broken limb.
But no adrenaline rush of mine probably came remotely close to what these people experience. Utmost respect, but like base jumpers, I simply never had the bottle for anything like that.
Now, you see, there's the thing, I genuinely wish I could have the chance to learn to do that, but nothing on earth would persuade me to go down a pothole. I simply couldn't. I would totally and utterly freak out from claustrophobia. No chance, never ever. Nope, no way.
 "Winging it" - Ted

Not after Neil Moss...over 50 years ago now, and he's still there. Poor chap.
 "Winging it" - sherlock47
>>
>> Not after Neil Moss...over 50 years ago now, and he's still there. Poor chap.
>>

That brought back memories of my one and ONLY potholing experience in 1966. My experienced? companion took great delight in pointing out a fissure in the rock, saying " that is where lies the concrete entombed body of Neil Moss". He went on take me under a sump which still results in the occasional nightmare!

Never again.
 "Winging it" - Old Navy
>> I would totally and utterly freak out from claustrophobia. No chance, never ever. Nope, no way.
>>

I take it a submarine trip is out of the question? When in an aircraft I am aware that there is only a few millimetres of aluminium between the internal atmosphere and oblivion.
 "Winging it" - sooty123
I'd think similar, potholing is one hobby I can't get my head around. Squeezing yourself into loads of small gaps in the pitch black. I'm good thanks.
 "Winging it" - zippy
Amazing - i have seen wing suits before but not like this. When they are going through the line of trees they are going at quite a speed.
 "Winging it" - MD
Hell's teeth. Watching this in a very small room. Just as well really. RESPECT.
 "Winging it" - legacylad
Pothole drift... If those of you who don't fancy getting wet & muddy squeezing through tight passages still want to experience a large cavern, twice a year it is possible to descend into Gaping Ghyll. GG is on the flanks of Ingleborough in the Dales, and at Spring Bank & August Bank holidays, Craven & Bradford pot hole clubs set up a winch with bosun's chair. The clubs operate independently and normally set up camp there for a week, lowering visitors down. The large chamber is illuminated, passages off are closed, and the stream and ensuing waterfall which normally cascades down diverted. I took my local landlady down there ( no giggling at the back) some 12 years ago and she thoroughly enjoyed it.
Plenty of info online...Google the two pothole clubs for info, but makes for an unusual experience for anyone spending a few days in the area over those BH periods

"Winging it" - bathtub tom
Treated myself to a solo parachute jump for my fortieth.

Nothing can take away the experience of standing on a small platform above one of the landing wheels of a high wing monoplane at 1800ft, holding on to a wing strut in the slipstream with the stall warning sounding.

Broke my ankle when I hit the ground!
 "Winging it" - Zero

>> Broke my ankle when I hit the ground!

Forgot "Knees bent - ROLL" did we?

Its funny, I broke my ankle in Italy once, falling down a pothole int he dark. At the moment the bone broke, my brain went into hyperdrive, and I can remember thinking

"Don't fall over you'll hurt yourself" then another part of the brain quickly piped in and said "hit the deck now or this is going to be really serious" so I did, I remember making a conscious effort to fall and roll. So it turned into a nice clean repairable fracture rather than some nasty displaced one
Latest Forum Posts