Non-motoring > Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? Computing Issues
Thread Author: fluffy Replies: 33

Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - fluffy
Bring back the MiniDisc.

Come on Sony start making the MiniDisc again. It has the potential to replace the Compact Disc.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Dutchie
What is the difference between a Compact and Mini Disc?
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - sajid
you can record on minidisc
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - VxFan
>> you can record on minidisc

You can also record on compact disc too.
I thought you could not record on compact disc.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - WillDeBeest
That's the R in CD-R. There's CD-RW too. Not the greatest for music, though, especially now solid-state media are so cheap.
Is it possible to buy the CD-RW record player? If it is from where?
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Bromptonaut
>> Is it possible to buy the CD-RW record player? If it is from where?

There are different formats for recordable/re-recordable CD's and not all CD players will reliably play all types. The player in my old Berlingo was dodgy with anything but bog standard play only discs.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Harleyman
>> What is the difference between a Compact and Mini Disc?
>>

One is a small American car, the other is a means of stopping a Mini.
Now that solid state storage is so cheap and ubiquitous, it's hard to see why anyone would want to store digital music files on a medium that requires special hardware, with moving parts, to read it. CD is imperfect but it's here and everyone has it, so it'll be here for a while yet.

Minidisc, on the other hand, used lossy compression to fit a CD's worth of music on a smaller disc. Even if we accept that no audible data was discarded, this added a decompression stage to all the other compromises involved in reading a CD, so it couldn't compete on sound quality with the original file read off a computer storage device.

If it had ever caught on in the first place, it might have survived; as it is, it's pretty much 'Nobody has it, nobody wants it'.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - movilogo
I have never used CD player in my car.

With USB sticks that can be read and played in most devices (incl. most modern cars) I no longer see need the need for CDs.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - spamcan61
>> I have never used CD player in my car.
>>
>> With USB sticks that can be read and played in most devices (incl. most modern
>> cars) I no longer see need the need for CDs.
>>
I fitted a 'deckless' car stereo to Spamette Minor's Micra (just before she sold the car :-/) - made life much easier fitting it into the dash, being only a couple of inches deep. All she needed was iPhone compatibility and USB stick, job done.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - R.P.
I don't think I've used a CD player for a couple of cars. Both have had seamless Bluetooth systems.
The MiniDisc is half the size of the Compact Disc.
...and my 64GB Superfit USB drive holds as much as 80 CDs or Minidiscs - and 20 of them would fit inside a Minidisc case. Minidisc serves no purpose. It's dead.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - rtj70
I do have a 16GB SD card in one of the slots on the Audi's sound system. and Even more music on my phone which can stream via Bluetooth to the car stereo. Plus Spotify (for now).

Minidisc never caught on here and never will. It's an old technology - compression higher than a decent MP3 or MP4 file.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Ian (Cape Town)
It was a failed system to begin with.
May as well bring back the C5.
Oh, and if you post a
'Sinclairr C5, good or bad, discuss' thread, I will get on a plane and give you a shoeing
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - zippy
Mini disk was a small format re-recordable CD format in a hard floppy like case. It was significantly smaller than a standard CD but could hold the same amount of music using Sony's proprietary compression format which was very good. It was also able to record track names well before CD's had track names on them.

I had both a portable Mini disk player and a full size Mini disk recorder deck. I sold them several years ago and I regret doing so for nostalgia purposes as they were beautifully made and sounded wonderful better even than my Marantz CD player at the time.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - henry k
>> May as well bring back the C5.
>>
They were seen in the Esher area so not starting a thread but stiring memories.

www.c5owners.com/documents/images/sinclair-c5/lets-go-shopping-on-a-sinclair-c5.jpg
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Old Navy
My memory of them was seeing one alongside the nearside front wheel of a bus at traffic lights. Thinking the bus driver can't see that, it is a death trap. Was it based on a recumbent trike frame?
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 27 Feb 16 at 10:38
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Falkirk Bairn
18 months ago clearing out the loft I came across 2 Sony MiniDisc players + loads of discs

My twins would often buy the latest gizmo - zoom on 20 years and they are still at it - buying the latest phone, ipad etc etc and don't get me started on car buying.

Mind you it might be in the genes as I bought a Betamax recorder in the late 70's and also have had about 35 new cars in the last 50 years.

One of them even bought an I-watch but it fell apart twice in 2-4 weeks. It was a white elephant solution to a problem that does not exist.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Slidingpillar
The C5 I think is just a plastic moulding with bits. Only ever seen one on the road and it's quite likely less safe than my recumbent trike as it's probably slower and less agile.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Robin O'Reliant
>> The C5 I think is just a plastic moulding with bits. Only ever seen one
>> on the road and it's quite likely less safe than my recumbent trike as it's
>> probably slower and less agile.
>>

Ah, another recumbent trike man. What one have you got, Sliding?
Last edited by: Robin O'Reliant on Sat 27 Feb 16 at 15:19
I contemplated (VERY BRIEFLY) Mini-Disc in 1999. I didn't think it had a future and I'd have to record onto it every CD I had. It's all digital now.

Some will say MP3's do not have the quality but 192kbps is fine for me. There's alway lossless.

As for:

>> Bring back the MiniDisc. .... It has the potential to replace the Compact Disc.

Well it didn't replace CD did it. And it's been around for at least 23 years.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 27 Feb 16 at 17:34
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Slidingpillar
Ah, another recumbent trike man. What one have you got, Sliding?

A Trice Q with a 26" back wheel. The weird claim they make about stopping in a straight line when one front brake is activated is true, they really do pull up straight.

Also it's fitted with drum brakes as not being a fashionista, the long lifetime without maintenance sold them to me.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Robin O'Reliant
I've got a Perfomer with a 700c rear. Twin discs on the front (No rear brake) and you are bang on, they do stop in a straight line with just the brake on one wheel applied. I've not long had mine but I'm really starting to enjoy it, no aching neck or shoulders anymore nor any worries about stall speeds on the steeper hills.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - Runfer D'Hills
Wouldn't fancy chunking one of those down Llandegla !

( or maybe I would, hee hee ! )
The MiniDisc can make a comeback.

Come on PHILIPS ELECTRONIC buy the patented rights to the MiniDisc.
>> The MiniDisc can make a comeback.

It can't make a come-back. It never got established. And with solid-state and so many phones/devices with Bluetooth streaming it has no chance of doing anything.

Why would anyone invest in this now?
>>Why would anyone invest in this now?

Totally agree. It was great technology in its day, much more portable for sports and cycling than a normal CD player but things have moved on.
As I said higher up in the thread it was 1982 when it was released. I seriously contemplated it for 30 minutes. I remember going to the PC World near Aintree.
[Pedant mode] 1992 not 1982 [/Pedant mode]

:-)
Perhaps Minidiscs could be upcycled into pendants.
 Can the MiniDisc make a comeback? - MD
Hang around.
Latest Forum Posts