Non-motoring > tiki Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 22

tiki - Armel Coussine
Found in the bling box a small piece of polished very dark green jade, in the shape of a chubby little boomerang. There's a hole at one end and a loop of strong synthetic thong is threaded through it. So I'm wearing it round my neck to go with the other popinjay stuff. It's more or less invisible.

I think it's a bung from one of the relations who have gone to NZ to live.

These things are Maori, sort of mystical emblems called tikis. They are all different, some very elaborate and delicate, easily chipped or broken. I used to have one or two others but CR what's become of them. Probably gave them to the nippers.
 tiki - Runfer D'Hills
They have alleged mystical properties you know. For example, I'd be very surprised if you ever got bitten by a crocodile now that you're wearing it.
 tiki - Alanovich
Hopefully it's the kind which has the mystical property of making one involuntarily moon the Duke of Edinburgh.
 tiki - Armel Coussine
No, it's the kind that makes one deliberately thumb one's nose at republican show-offs who diss our generally tolerated monarchy.

Nothing wrong with republican show-offs of course. I'm one myself sometimes.
 tiki - Alanovich
'twas merely a reference to a famous incident in New Zealand in which a mischievous Maori gave the DoE a traditional moon-shaped "greeting" from under his grass skirt. Would have thought you would have got the reference, never mind.
 tiki - Armel Coussine
>> Would have thought you would have got the reference, never mind.

Sorry. Thick and ignorant, that's me.
 tiki - Armel Coussine
I was told in Africa that if you have ever eaten crocodile meat the crocodile's 'brothers' know it and come after you when they can.

But even if they didn't, they would still be best given a wide berth. They can move very fast when they are hungry.
 tiki - WillDeBeest
Ah. I had some in Kenya in 2012. Haven't been in Africa since but next time I go, I'll let you know...

...or not.
 tiki - Harleyman
>> Ah. I had some in Kenya in 2012. Haven't been in Africa since but next
>> time I go, I'll let you know...
>>
>> ...or not.
>>

With a screen name like yours I'd be a damn sight more wary of the lions than the crocodiles.

Just don't go too near any waterholes.
Last edited by: Harleyman on Mon 21 Mar 16 at 22:49
 tiki - Kevin
I have a couple of Native American Zuni Fetishes. Carved stones that Mrs K gave to me when I was doing alot of international travel. Supposed to protect me from enemies, ill health and drunken pilots I think. One is a bear carrying an arrow head on his back and the other is a polished green pebbble thing. Not sure which one is supposed to do what but she still makes me carry them if I'm going further than Waitrose.

Very effective so far (touch wood).
 tiki - Kevin
Just remembered that I'm in Greenock for a couple of days next week.

Probably need to recharge the dodgy pilot protection for the return flight.
 tiki - Armel Coussine
There's an ace Kipling story called I think the Mugger of Mugger-Ghaut, about a long, cautious, reminiscent conversation between a crocodile, a jackal and a secretary-bird. The conversation ends satisfyingly for two of the creatures anyway, and for the reader.

Hokum of course but pretty good all the same. Look it up on line if you haven't read it, you won't regret taking the trouble.
 tiki - stan10
I'm interested in this sort of stuff, i always thought that Jade came from China, so i checked "Wiki", very informative, i didn't know all this. This site (Car4, not Wiki) not only entertains, but educates too !

"I was told in Africa that if you have ever eaten crocodile meat the crocodile's 'brothers' know it and come after you when they can. "

Cripes ! that's the last time i ever go to the Zoo ! (a return to SA. being unlikely now, delicious though it was to eat!) I thought it was only Yumans and Chimps wot practised revenge, (more edumacation ?)

"There's an ace Kipling story called I think the Mugger of Mugger-Ghaut"

Bit of a Kipling fan, but i didn't realise that (before looking for "Mugger ...." just how prolific he was, (but what a character, and what a supreme storyteller) i haven't heard of this story, and a (quick) check can't find it, but i will chase it further when i have more time.
 tiki - CGNorwich
If you haven't watched it can I commend "Kiplings Indian Adventure" on Iplayer

Provides an interesting insight into the man.

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b071xz0p/kiplings-indian-adventure

tiki - WillDeBeest
...and the cakes...?
 tiki - Dog
Ah yes, the cakes ... We used to borrow them from the big waste containers in the yard. ISTR the vast majority of the workers were non-whites. This was back in the early sixties, and in Camberwell sowf lunden.

The brand was called Daisy Fresh then, before changing its name to exceedingly bad.
 tiki - stan10
Wouldn't knock Mr. K's cakes,

For a mass produced product, IMO they are actually quite good, certainly tastewise beating T's..co's (and others) own brands !

No doubt Jamie would tell us we are commiting nutrition suicide ! - No profit, so diss brov?
 tiki - Dog
I used to like their French Fancies - 30% sugar ... I used to eat them one after another!!
 tiki - WillDeBeest
Is that better or worse than eating them all at once?
 tiki - Dog
No better or worse than eating double pie & mash x 3.
 tiki - stan10
Thanks CGN, , yes i did watch this, - that's what made me realise just what a character he was.

tiki - Armel Coussine
Kipling was a keen early motorist. Read his story 'Steam Tactics'.

ON should note that it has sailors in it. One is an engine-room artificer, a steam engine expert.
 tiki - Slidingpillar
Kipling wrote in an astonishing assortment of genres. Everyone knows he wrote the "Jungle Book", and the poem "If", but how about "With The Night Mail"? Sure, it's utterly wrong now as a piece of science fiction, but he wrote it in 1905. Sort of steam punk I guess nowadays, but I do rate the tale highly.

Not sure the note here about copyright means anything, Kipling has been dead for 80 years.
www.forgottenfutures.com/game/ff1/night.htm
Latest Forum Posts