Non-motoring > Boot Socks Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 29

Boot Socks - MD
I need to obtain some thick socks to use in my work boots to provide some cushioning. There appears to be an endless supply of 'Boot Socks' on eBay and the like, unbranded and being sold for a pittance. Or there's the other end of the market say HJ Hall at about £8.00 per pair. I need them to be Wool rich. Does anyone have any experience of such glamorous hosiery?
 Boot Socks - Dog
Have a look on Amazon/eBay etc. for Norwegian winter socks.

www.amazon.co.uk/pairs-thick-Socks-Norwegian-Winter/dp/B017NVRLUK/ref=sr_1_1/276-7355080-8423248?ie=UTF8&qid=1456775507&sr=8-1&keywords=thick+wool+socks
Last edited by: Dog on Mon 29 Feb 16 at 19:54
 Boot Socks - sooty123
I use these, not sure what they're made from, but they've always been spot on in all weathers. tinyurl.com/z2a3rwh
 Boot Socks - Zero
I'd go to one of the sports/camping stores, mountain warehouse for example, and get them there, At least you get to feel how thick and well made they are.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Feb 16 at 20:08
 Boot Socks - legacylad
Think they are cotton Dog?
A decent pair of 90% merino wool socks costs in excess of £8. I used to buy Smartwool slight seconds from Sierra Trading. Excellent quality merino wool socks, different thicknesses for different seasons. Mind you Reno is a long way to travel.
I do my backpacking & winter walking in Teko or X socks ( specific left & right) the latter I buy on Amazon from Germany. At least with merino wool socks if they get wet they remain warm, unlike cotton.
If you can wait a week, I'm back in the UK next week and will mail you a spare pair of new Tekos, size 9/10. I have plenty!
 Boot Socks - Dog
>>Think they are cotton Dog?

Are they LL, I didn't realise that. I've been looking for some thick woollen socks for ages, but my idea of woollen socks, and the ones I've bought from Amazon & eBay leave a lot to be desired!

I bought some proper thick woollen socks from a shop in Liskeard 19 years ago, and they still work (apart from the toes!) so I'll have to take a trip up there one day soon.

I am size 10 BTW :)
 Boot Socks - Ted

These should fit like a glove, Martin.

www.amazon.com/ReFaXi-PACKGOUT-Fingers-Separate-Socks/dp/B016QRPXFW
 Boot Socks - R.P.
I bought some boots and boot socks from Screwfix for my old job. Caterpillar branded boots are the worst quality and comfort boots/shoes I have ever owned. The socks were branded as DeWalt. They are now used as bike socks - good cheap and quality. If you want the woollen ones I'd opt for something by HJ. Last forever and do what they should.
 Boot Socks - smokie
Saw some "motorcycle socks" in Lidl today. I was a little curious and they have padding in the worst pressure points and I can't remember what else. Weren't expensive though.
 Boot Socks - R.P.
Lidl's motorcycling gear is spot on. I've had a two piece base layer for a few years now. Perfectly designed by someone who knows about bikes The top half covers to well below a chap's a***. Warm as toast on the Dragon in them. It was my feet were cold....I was wearing civvy socks.
 Boot Socks - Aretas
Don't buy on price alone. Cheap socks either wear stupidly fast or soon loose all their springiness and become tortuous to take on and off.
 Boot Socks - fluffy
I buy my boot socks in Marks and Spencer. Top quality as well. I would try them.
 Boot Socks - Runfer D'Hills
Dervla Kirwan could sell me anything. I can hear her voice saying it now. "Not just boot socks, M&S boot socks..."

Melt...

;-)
 Boot Socks - legacylad
Good quality merino wool socks don't have a long lifespan. Might be 90% merino, with spandex and other stuff, but they soon lose their softness. Although not their warmth.
Still my preferred choice in winter, although I never wear boots in winter unless the snow is down or it's incredibly muddy.
 Boot Socks - legacylad
Did you get sorted with socks MD?
If not I can mail you a spare pair of unused Tekos, organic Merino, size L ( UK 8.5-11)
Gratis
Let me know via the mods
 Boot Socks - MD
Sorry LL. I missed this one. That would be very kind thank you. I approve the 'Lads' to provide the relevant contact info. Thank you.

Best, MD.
 Boot Socks - WillDeBeest
Has anyone mentioned Bridgedale? I've had a pair of theirs for years that I wear inside my cricket boots. Came from Blacks and were expensive (for socks) but are far better made and structured than the dreadful, shapeless and overpriced things sold as 'cricket socks' by sports shops. Most importantly the heel is well located and stays in place, rather than migrating towards the instep as cheap socks do. Big enough for big feet too. Must check if they're still available because the old ones are getting tired at last.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sat 2 Apr 16 at 09:33
 Boot Socks - MD
Post here if they are still available please wdb.
 Boot Socks - legacylad
Lots of Bridgedale socks available...different styles, weight, composition. My local outdoor gear shop sells various types of them, plus '1000 mile' socks etc etc
When I worked there we reduced the number of brands to four I think....Smartwool are pretty decent. Not cheap mind.
The best thing about wearing boots, is that you don't have to find a pair of matching socks in a morning.
 Boot Socks - legacylad
Unless you wear specific left & right socks... x socks for instance. I kid you not. Very good they are too.
Do you walk in circles if you put them on wrong?
 Boot Socks - legacylad
Back to shoes... Saw some very nice Loake's Drake. Unfortunately the Ilkley shop did not have my size, 8.5, and not available in a G fitting. Very nice looking in tan though.
Never ever spent that much on shoes mind, but probably will now, though I paid double that for a pair of La Sportiva Nepal Top boots a few years ago.
And there are only a few occasions on which they can be worn.
Which, (seriously) brings me back to recommending that you seek out something more versatile and suited to your lifestyle. Tell us again what you want these new shoes for, when will you wear them, what sort of clothes do you tend to favour etc?
 Boot Socks - legacylad
Smart tan shoes.... To be worn in a nice restaurant, hotel, to a smart function.
I have some smart black leather shoes, but my feet grew too large for my comfortable brown brogues so they went to the Sally Amy ( together with several other pairs of decent footwear). I was told in the Ilkley shop that ones feet both spread and sometimes grow a size larger as one matures! In the past two years I seem to have grown a whole size and gone from an F to a G fitting. Probably in proportion to my brain, which has receded in size.
Might have a trip to the big city ( Leeds) see a film, drink a few beers, and look for some shoes before the aforementioned.
Well, as previously mentioned, you'll not go too far wrong with any of the Northampton brands to meet that brief. Loake, Sargents, Trickers, Church, Crocketts etc

But for a left field suggestion, have a look here. Bit alternative, but I like them and the prices aren't too scary. ( to be clear, I have no commercial interest in any of the manufacturers mentioned )

www.jshoesonline.co.uk/?gclid=CK3d4Z2D8MsCFRK3GwodhRcLMA
 Boot Socks - WillDeBeest
Interesting stuff on that site, Humph, in Beest-friendly sizes too. But I've never seen a size guide that includes 'Internal calf circumference' before. What's that about? Something Masonic?
 Boot Socks - Zero

>> But for a left field suggestion, have a look here.
>> www.jshoesonline.co.uk/?gclid=CK3d4Z2D8MsCFRK3GwodhRcLMA

They all look a little Larry the Lounge Lizard to me.
 Boot Socks - WillDeBeest
You make that sound like a bad thing, Z. We can't all afford fleeces and Lancer estates, you know.
 Boot Socks - Manatee
>> find a pair
>> of matching socks in a morning.

That's a bit OCD.
Latest Forum Posts