Non-motoring > Scratch one task. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 28

Scratch one task. - R.P.
Garage Door. We have two standard size doors (Why the hell not one big one). The tensioning cables had failed on one a couple of years phoned a local chap who came looked and sucked air between his teeth - fixed the immediate problem and told me the door would need to be replaced. Double that for two doors :-(.

As the house is being sold decided to bite the bullet. Checked the web for parts and scoured you tube for instructions. Gathered the tools together......and phoned the same chap. He came out and was here for well over an hour sorting it. Door now works....remembers coming here previously but forgot that he said it was unfixable....£120.00 -- would have cost me less to do it myself but probably would have taken weeks...
 Scratch one task. - MD
£100.00 an hour (ish) les a few spares. Not a bad rate!
 Scratch one task. - smokie
Add in travel time and expertise and it's not quite as much. Plus possibly unable to get another job that day due to location, I don't know.

Doesn't sound so bad to me, then I'm used to prices down here :-)
 Scratch one task. - R.P.
Two of them. Artisans....one would hope....I would never have been able to do it

Scratch one task. - Runfer D'Hills
I'd have had a go, lashed it up and then called for help.

Same reason I need a solicitor from time to time...

;-)
 Scratch one task. - R.P.
I did that when it broke....damned hard holding a door up with one hand and phoning with the other I can tell you.....

Damn things should fail safe.
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 2 Mar 16 at 20:33
My garage door is a bit wonky, but there is a knack to opening and closing it which only I know ;-)

However, it is a mock Tudor one.
 Scratch one task. - R.P.
Is it a mock knack ? I have mock locks, they don't work, but they are lockable from the inside !
Mine has a working lock, but strictly speaking I don't need to lock it as only I know how to open it. The secret may well die with me. It might be centuries before its ever opened again.
 Scratch one task. - MD
>> I have mock locks.

Isn't that a Wig?
 Scratch one task. - legacylad
I have two standard 7' leccy doors on my double garage. The wind caught one a few years ago, and despite the attention of an engineer pal it still won't close properly... Stands about 5'' proud of the floor. It needs to be taken off and 'rehung'.
For years I've debated about getting a single sectional door... Would make life so much easier and a good excuse to tidy out the garage. I imagine it would present no problem for my builder friend... But I reckon the door might be expensive.
What is a standard size? 10ft, 12ft
Anyone want a couple of matching 7ft fully operational garage doors...currently painted in F & B Blue Black gloss. Open to offers!
 Scratch one task. - R.P.
MD Get your coat...!! :-)
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 2 Mar 16 at 21:42
Don't need a coat. Scorching hot in Espana today. I've even had to freeze the lemon to put in the G & Ts.
Apologies.. Just seen that was directed at MD.
Last edited by: legacylad on Wed 2 Mar 16 at 21:45
 Scratch one task. - tyrednemotional
>>I'd have had a go, lashed it up and then called for help.

...after your latest confession about the door mirror (no, we're not going to forget), we all know you would really have missed out phases one and two of the above, and gone straight for help.

(as long as 'er indoors wasn't going to find out). ;-)
 Scratch one task. - R.P.
In fairness the quote was between £90.00 and a £100.00....they spent more time on the job that's for sure due to some construction "issues" looks like the inside of the garage was plastered after the door installation - and some work was needed to access the "cones" (I know what they are I watched the You Tube instructions !)
 Scratch one task. - bathtub tom
>>the inside of the garage was plastered after the door installation

The inside of your garage is plastered?

I thought Mine was posh, as I specified 'maintenance free' windows, doors etc. Ended up with UPVC double glazing as the builder couldn't source single glazed any cheaper.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Thu 3 Mar 16 at 10:33
 Scratch one task. - Clk Sec
>> Ended up with UPVC double glazing as the builder couldn't source single glazed any cheaper.

When we bought our house, the garage window was single glazed with a severely rotting frame, due to condensation. We replaced this with a uPVC double glazed unit without openers, and paid no more than we would have for single glazing.

It did away with the condensation. too.
Blimey, I hadn't realised I was mixing with the sort of people who have double glazed garages. Makes my shed with a balcony look a bit ordinary. Touches forelock and lowers gaze...

;-)

Scratch one task. - Ted

Next door had 2 double glazed patio door panels which had been mis-measured. They're now fitted in my garage horizontally. My s i l had 4 small d/g panels with couloured pattern, all matching. They're in my garage doors now and a D/G panel which came out of our kitchen when it was re-modelled is now in the workshop wall.

All free. I have 4 more here, a result of swapping a bathroom and a bedroom over....2 frosted glass, 2 clear. Free if anyone wants them.
 Scratch one task. - R.P.
Yes the garage is plastered. `it's integral - no windows though which I rather like
Mine has no windows either, and just the one door. An explorer may well find me in there in a couple of thousand years and assume I've been buried with my sacred
mountain bikes and surf boards and been laid to rest in holy cargo pants and a Ramones T-shirt
 Scratch one task. - R.P.
And what shoes ?
Most probably a pair of sacred flip flops
 Scratch one task. - R.P.
At least not Crocs.
 Scratch one task. - Mapmaker
DG units are cheap as chips. I had three made, 3' x 18" (roughly) each, total £75 in toughened glass. Local glass man wanted £50 for three sheets of 4mm plain glass cut to size.
I have two garage doors and two windows. Plus a side door with glazing. Think they are all double glazed, as it was only built 16 years ago. Three lots of twin power points, internal water supply & 4 fluorescent tubes, plus the lighting in the overhead leccy doors motor.
Block work interior, but a few years ago I decided to paint it out... Took quite a few days with a roller and brush, and 20+ Odd litres of white masonry paint.
Posh or what?
 Scratch one task. - MD
Any Shag Pile LL?
 Scratch one task. - Ted

Ha ! My 13 fluorescents trump yours Leggy. But then, so does my leccie bill probably. Five tubes are in the model railway room and the walls are matt black emulsion. No windows in there ! The workshop is a rather fetching pale green as I 'ad some left in a tin.

I think there's about 14 double sockets in the whole palace of pleasure but only'cos an electrician mate was retiring and gave me 2 Renault 4 vanloads of stuff when he was clearing his garage. Some of the equipment is wired through the worktops into the ring main....parts washer, pillar drill, bench grinder, etc.

I kept all the cupboard doors and wall cupboards when we stripped out MiL's kitchen prior to selling the house. I built workbenches with 3X2 to suit the doors and topped them off with kitchen worktop seconds. Clean up nicely with WD40 !
That's some garage Ted!
I boarded the loft area out and put in lighting ( forgot about that as I haven't been up there for over a year) but no power.
I think installing a single sectional door will give me the impetus to sort out all the stuff currently on racking...when it warms up a bit and I can dump everything in the drive on a sunny day.
Latest Forum Posts