Non-motoring > Amazon Prime Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Boxsterboy Replies: 41

Amazon Prime - Boxsterboy
So yesterday, having discovered that the last Bryan Adams album (released last October) was produced by Jeff Lynne I decided to buy it (I'm a big Jeff Lynne fan). So off I trot to Amazon, only to find that I can only buy it from them if I sign up to Amazon Prime. What on earth?!?

Or I could buy it through one of countless re-sellers advertising on their site, none of who I have the faintest idea as to quality, etc. Having seen poor reviews of foreign CDs being delivered by Amazon re-sellers I am in no mood to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't want to try them but I want to buy from Amazon, but I don't want to pay for Prime subscription.

So, Amazon's loss is HMV Online's gain. Anyone else had this?
 Amazon Prime - Clk Sec
>> Anyone else had this?
>>

Well, not quite, but Mrs CS has not bought from Amazon since last November:

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=19608&m=465414

Amazon Prime - R.P.
I've been on Prime for a few years, Mrs RP wasn't, but we signed up to the "Household" version. Works just fine.
 Amazon Prime - Bromptonaut
Prime works for me too. We can use enough addresses to be able to send stuff to either offspring and one or two others as well. The Lad is a full time undergrad and his sis is doing a part time MAsters. Really useful for urgently needed textbooks and 'bank of Mum and Dad' can pay for those that are over student budgets.

Case for my Windows tablet, bought following a heads up on here, was ordered on Sunday and arrived Monday.
 Amazon Prime - Clk Sec
>>Well, not quite, but Mrs CS has not bought from Amazon since last November:

Actually, we're about to enter the great unknown by buying a spare part for our shower cubicle from a ebay company.

Amazon Prime - tyrednemotional
......an item I ordered from eBay yesterday morning has just been delivered by Amazon within the last hour!!! (Amazon box - unnecessarily large, Amazon courier, Amazon consignment note).

Yes, you read that correctly.

(Though I can think of a number of reasons this might have occurred, I am still rather confused - and I've left feedback on eBay).
 Amazon Prime - Stuartli
>>Yes, you read that correctly.>>

Quite a few sellers on e-Bay also have a "shop front" on Amazon and vice versa.
 Amazon Prime - tyrednemotional
...they certainly do...but in this case, the payment was made via eBay and Paypal, (at cheaper than the delivered price from Amazon) and the consignment came via Amazon.

I certainly haven't had that before.
 Amazon Prime - Slidingpillar
Last two things that might have been Amazon orders were not.
Lawnraker - Amazon price £145, I paid £123 inc shipping
Cycle Tool - Amazon price £45, I paid slightly less than £25 inc shipping

Yes Amazon is convenient, but having saved a bit more than £40 in the last 3 months by not using them, I'll be checking prices closely.
 Amazon Prime - henry k
>>Last two things that might have been Amazon orders were not.
>>
I have often found things cheaper than at Amazon and not always from expected sources.
The last big savings was on A TV that had just( by a few weeks) become an old model.
 Amazon Prime - henry k
>>So off I trot to Amazon, only to find that I can only buy it from them if I sign up to Amazon Prime. What on earth?!?
>>
I signed up too.
A year of " you are not using the wonders of viewing XXXX"
Then "We have noticed you have not used the viewing feature so we are refunding the whole amount to you."
This happened promptly. A little later a letter arrived
"Here is £20 off if you rejoin"

Amazon Prime - No FM2R
Do forgive the ignorance, we don't have Amazon here.

What actually *is* Prime?
 Amazon Prime - Focusless
>> What actually *is* Prime?

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/prime/pipeline/landing
 Amazon Prime - No FM2R
So insofar as shopping is concerned, its fast delivery?
 Amazon Prime - R.P.
Yes. Two items ordered on Sunday - both arrived in the Post on Monday...
 Amazon Prime - smokie
And shipping is always free, whereas mere mortals have to pay under £20. Loads of TV stuff too, as per the link.

I bought a Firestick a bit back and I do spend a fair bit on Amazon but I've not yet felt the need to become Prime.
Last edited by: smokie on Thu 10 Mar 16 at 12:25
 Amazon Prime - Ambo
I sometimes get that from Amazon without Prime.
 Amazon Prime - Stuartli
Bit baffled here. Been buying from Amazon and its seller partners for many years and the Prime service has never been involved or required, although I've received occasional offers to take it up by Amazon.

I always use the Super Saver or Free Delivery feature and, more often than not, even with the Super Saver choice, goods arrive just as quickly as if you paid for a faster delivery by Royal Mail or other service (not Prime).
 Amazon Prime - Falkirk Bairn
Spend quite a bit with Amazon & settle for free delivery - whenever that is. Mostly it turns up in 2/3 days although they state 5+ days.

If I am in a hurry for something I get a son to order it for delivery to my home. He pays for Prime but then again he is addicted to ordering from them - 120 deliveries last year.

(Both son & D-i-L out working, 2 kids who need ferrying around.......Amazon = convenience & take returns without question - even weeks later)
 Amazon Prime - Focusless
>> Bit baffled here. Been buying from Amazon and its seller partners for many years and
>> the Prime service has never been involved or required

Are you able to buy the Bryan Adams CD from Amazon (rather than one of their partners) without using Prime?
 Amazon Prime - CGNorwich

>>
>> Are you able to buy the Bryan Adams CD from Amazon (rather than one of
>> their partners) without using Prime?
>>

The answer to your question is no. The CD at £6.99 is a special offer for Prime members only as it clearly states

Just sign up for the 30 day free trial of Prime and cancel it if you don't want to continue. Simple enough.

Amazon Prime - Focusless
>> >> Are you able to buy the Bryan Adams CD from Amazon (rather than one
>> of
>> >> their partners) without using Prime?
>> >>
>>
>> The answer to your question is no. The CD at £6.99 is a special offer
>> for Prime members only as it clearly states

The question was aimed at the baffled Stuartli, who either hadn't tried it, or was seeing something different.
 Amazon Prime - CGNorwich
I see.

Do take advantage of their free trial though. No downside

Amazon Prime - Focusless
>> Do take advantage of their free trial though. No downside

Indeed - I found it very handy pre-Christmas a couple of years ago. Kept getting free Kindle books as well by selecting 'not urgent' when it wasn't.
 Amazon Prime - Crankcase

>> Do take advantage of their free trial though. No downside

There was a downside for me - I have a legacy Lovefilm DVD postal account, which includes Prime streaming but not Prime delivery.

I took up the free trial of full Prime to gain the free delivery, and they promptly also altered my Lovefilm account unasked, setting it to match the current price/service structure, which is not so favourable as the legacy one I have.

I had to cancel Prime delivery and go through customer services to try to get it back the way it was. Amazingly, they agreed.

So now I again have my old Lovefilm terms and price, Prime streaming, but again, no Prime delivery. Which is fine; I'd prefer to keep the Lovefilm/streaming/no delivery deal I now have than get the free delivery, streaming but reduced Lovefilm for slightly more money.
 Amazon Prime - Stuartli
>>The question was aimed at the baffled Stuartli, who either hadn't tried it, or was seeing something different. >>

Not surprised I was baffled in this case. I've never bought a Brian Adams album in my life or attempted to do so on Amazon or anywhere else...:-)
 Amazon Prime - Pat
>>never bought a Brian Adams album in my life or attempted to do so on Amazon or anywhere else...:-) <<

Well, then you should Stuart, he does some excellent driving music.

Pat
 Amazon Prime - Stuartli
>>Well, then you should Stuart, he does some excellent driving music.>>

I wasn't inferring I didn't like him - in fact I do - but I've never felt the urge to buy any of his offerings...:-)

In any case I have thousands and thousands of hours of music on LPs, CDs, Blu-Rays etc and also download and save hundreds of videos and tracks from YouTube, so not short of anything to listen to.....!
 Amazon Prime - Boxsterboy
>> >> Bit baffled here. Been buying from Amazon and its seller partners for many years
>> and
>> >> the Prime service has never been involved or required
>>
>> Are you able to buy the Bryan Adams CD from Amazon (rather than one of
>> their partners) without using Prime?
>>

No. That's the whole point. Amazon themselves would ONLY sell it to Prime members.
 Amazon Prime - Stuartli
>>No. That's the whole point. Amazon themselves would ONLY sell it to Prime members.>>

You have been mixing my comment up with the original OP query..:-)

By the way, I have a legacy LoveFilm account - costs me £5.99 a month.
 Amazon Prime - WillDeBeest
Do forgive the ignorance, we don't have Amazon here [in South America.]
 Amazon Prime - No FM2R
?
goo.gl/maps/jPvibo2ZbtE2
 Amazon Prime - No FM2R
Ohhhh. That's THE Amazon, not Amazon.

Stupid boy, Pike.
}:---)
 Amazon Prime - Dog
Ordered a pair of Craghopper shorts using Prime on Saturday, thems were delivered on Sunday. Watts knot to like?
 Amazon Prime - sherlock47
>> Ordered a pair of Craghopper shorts using Prime on Saturday, thems were delivered on Sunday.
>>

craghoppers kit appears all over at discounted prices - particularly if you are an exreme shape :) Did you try Ebay?
Last time i was in Trago they had a a varied selection - probably the less desirable colors?
 Amazon Prime - smokie
Hadn't heard of Craghoppers before so "Amazoned" it and came up with these

Craghoppers Men's NosiLife Trunk Insect Repellent Underwear

www.amazon.co.uk/Craghoppers-NosiLife-Insect-Repellent-Underwear/dp/B006B3YTO8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1457622885&sr=8-8&keywords=crag+hoppers+shorts

Might save your privates from getting stung but not your wallet!!!
 Amazon Prime - Dog
>>Last time i was in Trago they had a a varied selection - probably the less desirable colors?

Yeah, I keep forgetting about Trago's - we were always in there when we lived on Bodmin Moor - I like the idea of their click-and-collect.

I wanted these shorts in particular and I found Amazon came out as the cheapest, at the time:

www.edgeoftheworld.com/p/18468/Craghoppers-Mens-Kiwi-Pro-Long-Shorts---Dark-Khaki
 Amazon Prime - Roger.
My daughter is the "prime" Prime member and I'm on her family share scheme. I pay her half the cost and deliberately search with the "Prime" choice ticked. Works well for us.
(No books/DVDs or music wanted - just quick delivery of other stuff.
 Amazon Prime - Roger.
......and then there's eBay: a good reason for using Amazon Prime where possible.

Example. On the 3rd of this month I ordered a new wireless mouse for my wife's laptop from an eBay seller. I chose a pick-up from Argos locally as the delivery option. Today is the 11th and using the tracking information provided I see that it is only today that the item has reached our local Royal Mail D.O. for delivery to Argos. By the time it reaches them and the collect text is sent, I guess it will be tomorrow at the earliest before I can collect the parcel.
So - nine days minimum from order to delivery. No wonder Amazon des so much business.
 Amazon Prime - Slidingpillar
Non Amazon order for the electric lawn rake placed on a Sunday. It arrived the next Tuesday. Yes I did have to pay for carriage, but less than £3 and I saved over £20 on the Amazon price.
Latest Forum Posts