Non-motoring > golf? a good walk ruined? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 26

golf? a good walk ruined? - Zero
Really?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=165Vym9ueCA
 golf? a good walk ruined? - sooty123
Now that'd make golf interesting sadly likely to be loads of retired geezers playing.
 golf? a good walk ruined? - CGNorwich
Golf courses are a blight on the countryside.
I don't know about that, it's not my cup of tea but there easy to avoid and plenty of space in the country side to do other stuff.
They are often over manicured intrusions into otherwise unspoiled countryside.
Many parts of the countryside are manmade or altered in some way or another. We are just used to them because they were altered a while ago.
Yes but golf courses are sterile deserts of overwatered emerald turf surrounded by rhododendrons and devoid of wild life and populated by fat overpaid people too lazy to walk a few yards who need electric carts to ferry them around a few hundred yards and who wear plaid trousers and have a glove sticking out of their trouser pockets and who drive ludicrously expensive four wheel drive vehicles because the golf course is down a short lane and dribble on about bogies and birdies and believe that watching four hours of someone hitting a ball with a stick is good TV
They don't bother me too much either way, I'm sure theres wildlife in them somewhere.
I'll take a stab in the dark and say your not keen on golf and golfers ;-)
"I'll take a stab in the dark and say your not keen on golf and golfers ;-)"

did I give that impression ;-)
Nah not all, missed out on a career as a detective I did.
>> They don't bother me too much either way, I'm sure theres wildlife in them somewhere.
>>
>> I'll take a stab in the dark and say your not keen on golf and
>> golfers ;-)

I'll postulate your theory a little further. Based such on such a vitriolic diatribe of Hancock proportions, I would guess two other factors come into play.

1/ He tried and is rubbish at it.

2/ He was rejected for a golf club membership
Nope.

Beyond a few rounds of crazy golf at Cromer when the kids were small never felt the need.

>> Nope.
>>
>> Beyond a few rounds of crazy golf at Cromer when the kids were small never
>> felt the need.
>>

Yeah, I'd feel the same if my small kids thrashed me at crazy golf.

"Yeah, I'd feel the same if my small kids thrashed me at crazy golf."

You're right of course. I've never been the same since that awful day. Slicing the windmill shot and and a disastrous putt over the little hump backed bridge has indelibly soured my view of golf ever since.
 golf? a good walk ruined? - Bromptonaut
My uncle who was a reasonably good amateur tried to introduce me to the game.

Like anything else involving hitting, throwing, kicking or catching a ball I was hopeless.
 golf? a good walk ruined? - No FM2R
I like golf, though I'm not very good.

Quite a lot of plonkers involved, but even they are forced to be polite to each other. Amazing amounts of playground gossiping and clique-iness . Plenty of fun and decent folks involved as well though.

Acquired some of my best hangovers at golf clubs.

They are, however, very useful as network openers for businessmen out of their usual area.
 golf? a good walk ruined? - Bromptonaut
>> They are, however, very useful as network openers for businessmen out of their usual area.

My Father, with no more aptitude for ball games than I have, walked many courses with colleagues on that basis.
 golf? a good walk ruined? - MD
and and the stutt er.
 golf? a good walk ruined? - Harleyman
>> They are often over manicured intrusions into otherwise unspoiled countryside.
>>

Yep. We call 'em townies round here.
 golf? a good walk ruined? - Dog
Nice piece of ass.
 golf? a good walk ruined? - Falkirk Bairn
I do not play golf.

30 years ago I paid for the kit, membership etc etc + + for my eldest. A few years later for the next 2 and overall it was quite a lot of money - always needing lessons. upgrades of clubs, clothing, balls etc etc. + mum's taxi!!

Some at my work questioned the expense - my standard reply was
"How many teenage boys get into trouble on a Golf Course?"

It was the same with school - they put in the effort and were rewarded - bikes, computers, fancy trainers, driving lessons, @ Uni it was cars etc etc

Golf - the lessons, clubs - the cost was minimal considering the cost to you if any of your kids go off the straight & narrow.

Thankfully all my kids are boringly work hard & look after their families. They in turn they recognise effort & reward the grandkids - maybe just too much in £££s for my liking sometimes.
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Sun 13 Mar 16 at 11:59
 golf? a good walk ruined? - Armel Coussine
I hate golf, and on the whole find golf players very dull company.

I don't despise them though. I'd quite like to be good at ball games, but I never was.

Of course I take the point about the golf links being a place for business wheeling and dealing. That's one of the main things that make it such a crashing bore to me. Solemn prats in ghastly trousers, yuck... someone need to tickle dem goolies innit?
 golf? a good walk ruined? - Dog
I used to like playing crazy golf (putting) on the seafront in Hastings with my late brother, his daughter, her friend, my sister and, erm, her indoors ... happy days, all gorn now, alas.
 golf? a good walk ruined? - Lygonos
I play golf - I far prefer the ambience of municipal courses to members' clubs, although the quality of the course itself is usually better when there are guys/gals willing to pay £600+ pa to be members.

Right-to-roam law in Scotland also means anyone can walk around a golf course, member or not.

Some of the best views of Edinburgh can be had from the Braid Hills golf course on the south side (council owned), and there are usually a fair number of walkers to be seen.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Sun 13 Mar 16 at 16:10
 golf? a good walk ruined? - No FM2R
>golf links being a place for business wheeling and dealing

Links is only a subset. Pretty much all golf courses are places for business networking.
 golf? a good walk ruined? - Crankcase

>> Links is only a subset. Pretty much all golf courses are places for business networking.

I'll make a note never to go near a golf course then. I've never even thought about "business networking", whatever it might be, and don't intend to start. Doesn't sound like my sort of thing.

I like crazy golf though.

>> I'll make a note never to go near a golf course then. I've never even
>> thought about "business networking", whatever it might be, and don't intend to start. Doesn't sound
>> like my sort of thing.

But you bought a golf trolley?
Latest Forum Posts