Non-motoring > uPVC door lock - fitting split spindle Miscellaneous
Thread Author: smokie Replies: 13

uPVC door lock - fitting split spindle - smokie
My youngest has just moved house and her new front door is uPVC which she has to keep locking manually from the inside, which is inconvenient. My front door is different - you can slam lock it which means it can't be opened from the outside without a key (or force) but just push the lever down inside...

So I have now read that this is a split spindle arrangement.

Would this be a reasonably straightforward retrofit for a d-i-y bodger or is it something which can only easily be done when getting a new door?

(I will suggest at best that she changes the lock to get a thumb turn cylinder on the inside which is easier and - IMO - safer than leaving keys hanging inside the door. I've done that myself before!!)
 uPVC door lock - fitting split spindle - sooty123
>> My youngest has just moved house and her new front door is uPVC which she
>> has to keep locking manually from the inside, which is inconvenient. My front door is
>> different - you can slam lock it which means it can't be opened from the
>> outside without a key (or force) but just push the lever down inside...

Sorry not done it before, so I can't help but I did wonder the same. Our new house has the same set up and sometimes you do forget to lock up.
 uPVC door lock - fitting split spindle - Zero
>> My youngest has just moved house and her new front door is uPVC which she
>> has to keep locking manually from the inside, which is inconvenient.

Think you'll find that the new insurance standard, that ensures that all the bolts, top middle and bottom are shot home before double deadlocking and freewheeling the handle spigot
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 13 Mar 16 at 12:56
Yeah I think I understand you, and that's what we do at night here - i.e. pull up the handle, and lock the whole shebang using the thumb turn. That means the outside lever cannot move.

But if one is around and going in and out it's easier to just slam the door shut and the outer handle doesn't open it but the inside one does. The handle outside does move but isn't engaged. (Since we were burgled we use the thumb lock to lock it properly all the time even when we are in and about, as it's fairly easy to do and became habitual fairly quickly).

Thinking about it, maybe all she needs is a thumb turn lock...
 uPVC door lock - fitting split spindle - R.P.
Have you got a decent "window doctor" type set up locally ?
Dunno, she's only been there a week. She won't want to spend loads on it - other priorities!!!
>> Yeah I think I understand you, and that's what we do at night here -
>> i.e. pull up the handle, and lock the whole shebang using the thumb turn. That
>> means the outside lever cannot move.

The latest standard means that when the whole lot is locked, the outside handle moves, but does nothing, it its not attached to the locking mechanism.
Ohhh... that's new and different then...
 uPVC door lock - fitting split spindle - Old Navy
It must be very new, I had a composite door fitted two weeks ago with a "Secured by design" insurance rating. It has a thumb lock on the inside and the internal and external handles do not move when it is locked. It was made by this outfit.

www.wbgroup.co.uk/composite-doors.php

You may need one of these, a very simple replacement.

www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/thumbturn-euro-cylinder-door-barrel-with-key-on-one-side/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAvJS3BRDd44fjndyii6MBEiQAN4EkPWp1dYGsVL7WpAsm_dU6i3gwRNqoDxJY6h8PCQMWe7kaAuIy8P8HAQ

If the bad guys are prepared to break locks and handles or smash windows little will stop them.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 13 Mar 16 at 17:49
>> It must be very new,

Had one flitted for my mother 7 months ago. Mind you locking it is so ruddy complicated that it remains half secured most of the time.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 13 Mar 16 at 19:49
 uPVC door lock - fitting split spindle - Old Navy
>> Had one flitted for my mother 7 months ago. Mind you locking it is so
>> ruddy complicated that it remains half secured most of the time.
>>

Our external doors are always locked when not in use. The front and back doors have thumb locks so are no hassle to unlock. The patio doors have keys both sides. Our alarm system has an internal siren, it is very loud, as is the external one. Many houses (ours included) in our street have these illuminated external alarm boxes, odd in a low crime area.

www.pyronix.co.uk/products-and-solutions/deltabell-plus
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 13 Mar 16 at 20:30
 uPVC door lock - fitting split spindle - bathtub tom
>>My youngest has just moved house and her new front door is uPVC

I'd suggest it's far more important to change the lock barrel immediately, in fact change all the locks on the house. You can't know who's got a key!
 uPVC door lock - fitting split spindle - Robbie34
I had an extension built a few years ago and specified a door that locked when closed. Unfortunately, the builder had the non-locking one fitted. However, it was easily remedied by the fitter ordering the correct lock and retrofitting it.
 uPVC door lock - fitting split spindle - Alastairw
IME there is a lot to be said for a door that needs key locking from the outside. It prevents locking oneself out.
Latest Forum Posts