Non-motoring > Crufts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 42

Crufts - legacylad
I missed it completely this year.. Normally try to watch a little TV coverage, but I was in the pub Sunday evening recovering from my limpathon. Pleased to see a Westie won again after all these years. My ex in laws always had a few Westies around the house, and I had one for 16 years, now buried in the ex's in laws garden. I still have a photo of him on display in my home office, sitting next to my car looking disgustingly filthy in his winter coat after a 15 mile circuit of Ilkley Moor.
Runfer... Did you ask about Sealyhams? My friend who recently acquired one travelled to Wickford, Essex from Settle. Hetty is settling in very well with her two labs, and enjoying roaming her small holding meeting rare breed sheep and a couple of rescued donkeys. A fine specimen she is.
 Crufts - Runfer D'Hills
Good to hear, mine came from Oswestry and despite being Welsh he is very friendly, quite intelligent and doesn't bother sheep at all.

;-)
 Crufts - Alastairw
Last time I looked Oswestry was in England. The locals are a bit touchy about it - I certainly was when I lived there.
 Crufts - Runfer D'Hills
Ah, that would explain it!
 Crufts - Zero
Yes the Westie was a cracker and I don't normally like them! Someone in my training group was in one of the regional obedience teams, with a fantastic Puli. Fortunately she spent a week bathing it, - think a dog with dreadlocks, normally it stinks!

There is a major hoo haa however over the German Shepard Dog best of breed winners, both the bitch and dog. These two.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBq6gM0sI7A

Mutants the both of them. Barely able to walk.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 15 Mar 16 at 11:56
 Crufts - Cliff Pope
About the only useful thing the RSPCA could do would be to get Crufts and the Kennel club closed down and the breeding of mutant disabled breeds of dogs for human amusement banned.

(Is that right wing - fascist control, or left wing - anti bourgeouise?)
 Crufts - Zero
>> About the only useful thing the RSPCA could do would be to get Crufts and
>> the Kennel club closed down and the breeding of mutant disabled breeds of dogs for
>> human amusement banned.
>>
>> (Is that right wing - fascist control, or left wing - anti bourgeouise?)

And this is what pees me off about the RSPCA. Unwilling to do anything about this example. Mind the RCVS is equally culpable.
 Crufts - Armel Coussine
>> >> (Is that right wing - fascist control, or left wing - anti bourgeouise?)

It's just mawkish British obsessing about animals.

Breeding thoroughbreds often involves an element of cruelty, as with the German Shepherd given as an example. Not always however. Lots of nice happy pooches out there.
 Crufts - Cliff Pope

>>
>> It's just mawkish British obsessing about animals.
>>

Not in this case because I can't stand dogs. I'd support a law that said every single dog apart from working sheepdogs should be exterminated. But it doesn't seem right to breed a dog that can hardly walk and then exhibit it in front of thousands of gawpers.
 Crufts - Runfer D'Hills
>>I'd support a law that said every single dog apart from working sheepdogs should be exterminated.

Wow, pretty extreme view that Cliff? Are you serious? Surely not?
 Crufts - henry k
IIRC Sweden is attacking the problems

www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/146658/1/swedish_vets_call_for_radical_health_plan_for_brachycephalic_breeds
 Crufts - Zero
>> IIRC Sweden is attacking the problems
>>
>> www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/146658/1/swedish_vets_call_for_radical_health_plan_for_brachycephalic_breeds

In the case of the GSD's, the breed standards are set by a cartel of breeders, who also supply the judges. They have now introduced severe spinal issues and hip dysplasia into the breed and changed the breed standard to accentuate it.

Vets should be in charge of all breed standards, not breeders.
 Crufts - Dog
Bird near me breeds Westscotts (Westie/Scottie) which seems like a good idea, nearly bought one last year :(

westhighlandwhite-terriers.co.uk/home
 Crufts - Armel Coussine
Westscotts (Westie/Scottie) ... , nearly bought one last year :(

Cute looking little dogs. Doubtless they have faults of character.
 Crufts - Manatee
Knowing nowt about it I imagine one possible perceived advantage of these cross breeds is the reduction in problems caused by inbreeding.

The dog owners I know who have bought new ones in the last year or three seem to be taken with the idea. I know of a cavapoo, a labradoodle and a cockerpoo (I bet it does. If I had a dog it would have to bag its own.)

Do they breed true, as breeds themselves, or are they a bit random? I imagine the latter. If the kennel club sets standards for them. it will no doubt lead to the same problems as it has with other popular breeds.
 Crufts - Zero
Cavapoos labradoodles, and cockerpoos are not recognised breeds and therefore unable to partake in any kennel club affiliated show. If you wish to perpetuate the breed then you stabilise it by breeding like with like (i.e. labradodle bitch and dog) These examples given are however not without issues, being mostly bred for looks and fashion.

Fifi Mk2 is, officially, a kennel club registered full breed Goldie with a verifiable 5 generation breed line.

Officially.

However, someone has slipped in a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever along the way. Not complaining, its a fantastic addition, adding greater mobility, drive, intelligence and character. Would it win at a breed show? no. Will it win at an activity sport? It already has.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 15 Mar 16 at 13:40
 Crufts - Dog
>> Do they breed true, as breeds themselves, or are they a bit random?

Bit random from what I've seen. I looked at Labradoodles/Goldendoodles, and Cockerpoos. I first saw a Goldendoodle at the Subaru dealers I use in Devon - amazing dogs, I wondered what on earth it was when I first saw it.

>>I imagine the latter. If the kennel club sets standards for them. it will no doubt lead to the same problems as it has with other popular breeds.

Yep, I'm going orf the KK. Both my dogs are from KK assured breeders though and (fingers crossed) are both coming along fine.
 Crufts - legacylad
I've never seen GSDs walk like that before, although I've very little knowledge of the breed. Border Collies slink along with their rear haunches down, but GSDs?
 Crufts - sooty123
I watch crufts in bits, I've trained mine to pick up and flush on shoots and so i sort of get crufts but it's so poncy i find it hard to enjoy or appreciate it.
 Crufts - Zero
Things have progressed, the owner of one of the dogs is apparently distraught at all the "abuse" she is getting, the owner of the other dog can't be reached. The Judge has refused comment and has apparently checked into a stress clinic.

The RSPCA said "We told them they were not following the breed advice", despite a KC inspector ruling the dogs fit to show the previous day. The College of Vets are "Outraged at such poor breeding" despite one of their vets advising the KC inspector of the fitness and suitability of the dogs"

The newspapers are having a field day, heaping more grief on the distraught owner. The Sponsor of Crufts has called for an urgent meeting.

Ruddy prattish hypocrites all them.
 Crufts - R.P.
The Judge has refused comment and has apparently checked into a stress clinic.

Wonder if they have therapy dogs ?
 Crufts - legacylad
Where's Pat?
 Crufts - Roger.
I bet they yap incessantly (Westies and similar ankle biting breeds)
Last edited by: Roger. on Wed 16 Mar 16 at 09:35
 Crufts - fluffy
I thought the whippet was going to win the dog of the year.

Crufts - Dutchie
I have followed Crufts for a long time.Dog breeders can be fanatic the price and prestige means a lot .

Crufts - Roger.
It's the same in the pedigree pussy world. There are some so over-typed longhairs whose faces are so flat that they can hardly breathe and whose eyes water all the time.
Foreign types e.g. Siamese have such pointed faces that they are just caricatures.
(We had a cream longhair years ago and showed her a few times. We also bred Siamese for a little while).
Perfectly happy with a nice moggie though.
 Crufts - TheManWithNoName
Crufts does to dogs what Maxpower and a teenager does to a perfectly good car.
 Crufts - Dutchie
Strange the way the German Sheperd is walking like its back is caved in.

A new way of breeding? never seen sheperds that way before.
 Crufts - Focusless
>> A new way of breeding? never seen sheperds that way before.

No, it's the 'show-strain':
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd#Controversy
 Crufts - Zero
>> >> A new way of breeding? never seen sheperds that way before.
>>
>> No, it's the 'show-strain':
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd#Controversy

Officially there is no such thing. There is the GSD and thats it. However everyone using GSDs for canine sports or working, avoid certain breeders. GMP prefer to breed their own.
 Crufts - No FM2R
GMP?
 Crufts - Zero
Greater Manchester Police.
 Crufts - Runfer D'Hills
Grumpy Male Prostitutes ?

Gonna Make Puppies ?

Edit - Ah !

Last edited by: Runfer D'Hills on Thu 17 Mar 16 at 17:44
 Crufts - Dutchie
Who is causing this problem with the dogs if it is one.The British or German breeders?
 Crufts - Zero
British Breeders, Germans breed them (and damn good ones too) for Working, as do the Yanks.
 Crufts - Dutchie
A shame the German shepherd is one of the best looking dogs of any breed and if it has a good character a good friend to have.
 Crufts - Focusless
>> British Breeders, Germans breed them (and damn good ones too) for Working, as do the
>> Yanks.

This page seems to suggest other countries go for the show type as well, or are they healthier than they look?
www.germanshepherdguide.com/german-shepherd-types.html
 Crufts - Zero
>> >> British Breeders, Germans breed them (and damn good ones too) for Working, as do
>> the
>> >> Yanks.
>>
>> This page seems to suggest other countries go for the show type as well, or
>> are they healthier than they look?
>> www.germanshepherdguide.com/german-shepherd-types.html

Those pictures are not representative of the dogs that are actually seen, and certainly nothing like the dogs in question at crufts. For example they quote

conform to the SV standard which also requires the dog to gain health clearances for hips and elbows and a working title (often herding or IPO)

I recently (three years back) went to the world IPO championship and the GSD's were nothing like that.

Here is IPO,(Schutzhund) www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf7Gt3rKRkQA go to about 50 seconds and freeze the dog in the middle of a long attack. Whilst it may have appeared to be hunched before being sent away it was sin fact a crouch, in flight it has a straight back.

The GSD's in this years crufts would have been incapable of that.
 Crufts - Alanovich
I prefer Scruffts. Proper dogs.
 Crufts - Zero
>> I prefer Scruffts. Proper dogs.

Much to be said for a good mongrel.
 Crufts - MD
Corbyn?
 Crufts - Dog
Abbott.
 Crufts - Haywain
"Abbott."

That's a completely different species.