Non-motoring > RIP LADY P Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 45

RIP LADY P - Zero
She of the posh tones and pink Roller, Lady Penelope, aka Sylvia Anderson has died

Parker is still alive
 RIP LADY P - TheManWithNoName
Lady Penelope says to parker
(Posh voice) "Oh parker please take off my blouse"
Parker (Cockney voice) "Yus m'lady"
Pen "Oh parker please take off my skirt"
Parker "Yus m'lady"
Pen "Oh parker please take off my stockings"
Parker "Yus m'lady"
Pen "Oh parker please take off my bra"
Parker "Yus m'lady"
Pen "Oh parker please take off my panties"
Parker "Yus m'lady"
Pen "And parker"
Parker "Yus m'lady"
Pen "If I catch you wearing my clothes again your 'ing sacked"

Shamelessley stolen from the interweb
 RIP LADY P - Armel Coussine
The joke's funny, but I detested Thunderbirds as I think it was called. Awful cosy American schlock.

I like animations - the Simpsons is terrific - but couldn't stand that one. It was too fifties for me.
 RIP LADY P - Crankcase
The only thing that was American about the Thunderbirds was the accents, done purely to increase the saleability in the States. It was British as Apple pie, and the talent involved was immense.

Didn't actually like it myself much, but it was a heck of a thing to have done, entirely groundbreaking in tv at the time.
Oh all right, yes it was an achievement. Stopmotion with puppets I think.

The taped on American accents are pretty toe curling all the same. But in its favour it wasn't made for people of my age and education profile.

So why did I ever look at it? Because I'm a big kid, that's why.
 RIP LADY P - Crankcase
I'm getting to the point, AC, where I shall start to look at you through narrowed eyes and begin to suspect you don't subscribe to the view that the chief influence of the twentieth century was Dylan.

As in the rabbit, not the pop singist.
There's a famous rabbit called Dylan? After my time I think.
 RIP LADY P - R.P.
Magic Roundabout...every hippy knows that.
 RIP LADY P - Crankcase
Sorry, AC, I forgot you were probably first in the queue when the Freddo bar was released.

Actually, do you have childhood memories of radio? My mum, now 87, tells me she was an Ovaltiney, and I know the jingle to this day because she used to sing it at me in a vain attempt to get me to go to sleep or shut up, depending on the time of day.
 RIP LADY P - R.P.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMyY1hTqTzc
 RIP LADY P - Crankcase
Thanks for the link, Rob. I'm so playing that to her the next time I see her.
Yes, thanks for that.

I am struck now, but wouldn't have been at the time, by the impeccable delivery of the Ovaltineys: not just RP, but distinctly classy.

Does that sort of children's culture, somewhat patronizingly delivered, still exist, or is it just the Bash Street Kids now?
>> Actually, do you have childhood memories of radio?

Yes. With my mother's encouragement, I used to listen to Uncle Mac.

In the wake of that ghastly quacking Yorkshireman being rumbled he turned out to be an early enthusiastic member of the BBC's nonce subculture. My poor mother would be horrified.
 RIP LADY P - Crankcase
I'd heard of Uncle Mac, but not really consciously heard him, although I must have done. But are you sure of your accusation, AC? Not a hint of it on the Wikipedia page. Seems like an all round good egg there.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_McCulloch
>> en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_McCulloch

An allegation, perhaps deniable, did appear in a piece on the BBC in the London Review of Books by some frightful chap, some years ago now. I can probably cite chapter and verse but don't fancy the task.
 RIP LADY P - Crankcase
I was always faintly disconcerted by the downfall of Leonard Sachs. But they're repeating The Good Old Days at the moment, so he must pass the BBC test again. I expect Clarkson will be back in a couple of years.

The GOD programme is a bit of a curate's egg, depending on your proclivity for girls in pink dresses waving parasols and oh-so-amusing comedy jugglers, but it has its moments. The young and diminutive Corbett did a good routine the other week about some sailors, and I liked Val Doonicans's joke (we used to sing this in the old days back home. They came from miles around, mostly to complain) the other day too.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Wed 16 Mar 16 at 19:01
 RIP LADY P - Zero

>> The GOD programme is a bit of a curate's egg,

The GoD is only a curates egg with respect to what depths of appallingness it plumbs.

RIP LADY P - Runfer D'Hills
I was forced by the default of the only heated room in the house being the sitting room in my childhood, to watch, The Good Old Days, The Golden Shot, Coronation Street and all manner of other brain rotting tripe.

It may well be the reason that as soon as I had my own address, I didn't put a TV in it and didn't own one at all until 20 years ago. My current wife insisted on having one and to this day she watches TV way more than I do.
>> piece on the BBC in the London Review of Books by some frightful chap

Andrew O'Hagan. Good hack, unpleasant individual I thought.

Came to my house at Carnival, amply supplied with drink and drugs, then had the damn cheek to offend me on purpose sitting on the stairs in my own gaff. What is it that makes people behave like that? Perhaps they can't take the substances. Pathetic.
 RIP LADY P - Timeonmyhands
The acting in Thunderbirds was a bit wooden.
 RIP LADY P - CGNorwich
As a follower of Dylan surely you know what species he was.

He was a hare not a rabbit!
 RIP LADY P - Crankcase
The Internet seems to say rabbit, not hare.

Actually, I think it's possible he was a puppet.
Definitely a rabbit. Hare indeed !

Pah !

RIP LADY P - Zero
>> Definitely a rabbit. Hare indeed !
>>
>> Pah !

Indeed, hares are maniac, Rabbits are laid back and cool. Well they are till FiFi Mk2 spots them.
Next door had a rabbit. They made it a run in the garden just the other side of our fence.

Now either it dug the hole under the fence to come and play with my dog or he did, but I'm sticking to theory number one...

;-)
 RIP LADY P - Zero
>> Next door had a rabbit. They made it a run in the garden just the
>> other side of our fence.
>>
>> Now either it dug the hole under the fence to come and play with my
>> dog or he did, but I'm sticking to theory number one...

Fifi Mk2 chased one and they both fell into the river. As far as her ability to swim goes, she makes Duncan Goodhew look like a brick, but the only place to get out of the river on her own was about three miles down stream where the banks were not so steep. So I had to lie in a nettle patch reach down and hook her out by her coilar, whereby she used me as a ladder.

62 year old blokes shouldn't be doing stuff like that.
Heh heh brilliant ! Mine likes to swim in the canal at the back of us. He's white and the canal is brown...

One day, when he was younger and lairier, there was a Sunday afternoon couple strolling along the towpath with their highly coiffured blow dried and be-ribboned female Shetland Collie. My scruffy wee dog started playing with her and they both ended up in the canal. I had to fish them both out by their collars.

The Collie owners didn't think it was nearly as funny as I did for some reason.

RIP LADY P - CGNorwich
I have to concede that he was indeed a rabbit. I must hav watched every episode of Magic Roundabout and I've always though of him as Dylan the Hare.

Dougal was a cat right?

RIP LADY P - Zero
>> I have to concede that he was indeed a rabbit. I must hav watched every
>> episode of Magic Roundabout and I've always though of him as Dylan the Hare.
>>
>> Dougal was a cat right?

He was a drop eared sky terrier. Although he was an extremely large example.
No legs though. Poor little beggar.
 RIP LADY P - Manatee
Skye terrier?

I imagine a sky terrier as something entirely different.

Reminds me of the golfer who took his tee shot; it dropped on the green and his wee dog got on its hind legs and applauded.

His playing partner thought this was wonderful - "Does he do something different when you hit a bad shot?"

Golfer - "yes, he claps, and then he does somersaults"

Partner - "how many?"

Golfer - "it depends how many times I boot him up the fundament"
 RIP LADY P - Crankcase
I thought "sky terrier" was a covert reference to those delicious characters in the new Clangers, the flying cows, aptly called "sky moos". Excellent, they are.

But Manatee's joke was better.
 RIP LADY P - Crankcase

>> Dougal was a cat right?

Hey man, like yeah, a far out hep cat, ya dig?
That was the rabbit.
 RIP LADY P - Ted

Magic RDBT...great....Zebidee springs to mind .
 RIP LADY P - CGNorwich
Time for bed said Zebedee.
 RIP LADY P - Bromptonaut
>> Time for bed said Zebedee.

Your place or mine, said Florence
"Time for bed" said Zebedee
"Boing?" said Florence
"I say" said Ermintrude
"Far out" said Dylan
"Eh?" said Brian
"Harumph" said Dougal

Or something like that anyway
 RIP LADY P - No FM2R
"Drops 'em for certain, let's face it, Noddy's the biggest ram round here and he reckons he's scored"
I never could work out what the deal was with Bill, Ben and Weed.
 RIP LADY P - Ted
>> I never could work out what the deal was with Bill, Ben and Weed.
>>

Why was the beach wet ?

Because the sea weed !........... Hahahahaha'................Maybe not !
 RIP LADY P - CGNorwich
Was it Bill or Was it Ben?

We know don't we children..

Andy Pandy lived with a bear and Looby Loo in a picnic hamper.

Here we go Looby Loo!

RIP LADY P - Focusless
>> Oh all right, yes it was an achievement. Stopmotion with puppets I think.

Nah, no stopping.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarionation
>> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarionation

Marionettes... damned ingenious though. Amazing results.

I remember Punch and Judy, violent stuff, with the terrifying crocodile. Had the nippers howling and burying their faces in their mothers' skirts.

The scariest thing was the red sweating puppeteer, when he appeared to take his bow. Help! Mummy!
 RIP LADY P - Ted

Muffin the mule..........................................such memories !
>> The scariest thing was the red sweating puppeteer, when he appeared to take his bow. Help! Mummy!

The traditional puppeteer's device for making the shrill Punch and Judy voices is a thing called a swozzle. They hold it in their mouths or throats... very difficult to use, liable to choke you if you try!
Latest Forum Posts