Non-motoring > Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 37

Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - R.P.
Died today. Not much of a fan I'm afraid. But still...
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Zero
He'll not reappear from this one.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - CGNorwich
None of us will I'm afraid.

Paul Daniels was a huge star in his day. He just went out of fashion. I don't think he ever quite understood why.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Cliff Pope

>> I don't think he ever quite understood why.
>>

I have that difficulty understanding the appeal of "magic".

It's only funny when it goes wrong - eg that Mr Bean episode.
It seems a bit childish for grown men to expect a career based on it.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - smokie
Shame. I really liked him in his early days, but then the style started to grate a bit and, while I am often perplexed by magic, there is a limit to how much I need to watch*. I did go and see his show sat the Edinburgh Fringe a few years ago and he did a very nice show - laid back, unpretentious and gently amusing.

* Dynamo is impressive though.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - zippy
Peak time audiences of millions - though there were only 4 channels!

He was harmless, inoffensive with some charm and entertaining- something that is often missing today and I think why the likes of Dynamo are popular - they appeal to wide demographics and don't offend like some stand ups do.

So Debbie McGee, what attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?

(Clearly a loving marriage which lasted beyond fame and fortune!)

RIP
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Falkirk Bairn
Company jolly to Barcelona. Saw him, by accident, in a restaurant in the Ramblas, Barcelona. Packed restaurant, good food and he did 30/40 mins of magic for free.

The following night was the Gala Dinner and guess who the act was at the end? - PD.
He was on about 90 mins in total - magic was great but I have never laughed so much for so long.

Paul Daniels on TV was but a shadow of him live.

30+ years ago and I still remember the night - he was just MAGIC!
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Thu 17 Mar 16 at 10:17
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - zippy
I have not met many celebrities but a few years ago some colleagues and I were enjoying a curry in Southampton when Gok Wan came in to dine (I guess he was filming at the old TVS studios).

The ladies in the group got very excited - the guys were somewhat bemused.

Gok happily spent time chatting to them all until his food arrived, which I thought was very good of him.

Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Alanovich
I spoke to Mr Daniels once in a work related capacity, as a very lowly customer service grunt. He was a gentleman, no hint of celebrity self-importance or any such nonsense. Seemed a jolly decent cove to me.

Used to see him driving his transit van around the outskirts of Reading occasionally, and Debbie too in her gold Merc W123 coupe. Spotted him in the transit once passing the gates of Yuri Geller's mansion, whilst I was listening to David Blaine being interviewed on the radio. That's magic, I thought.

RIP
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Fenlander
Gosh he didn't last long after the illness was announced.

Like some others not in my core interest of TV personalities but nothing against the guy... and as said above there was an unexpected longevity in his relationship with "the lovely" Debbie so they must have been a fit in their lives.

Met him on the road in this red Ferrari with MAG 1C plate... in St.Ives Cambs during the 80s. The most famous person I met driving that day.

www.theprivateplateco.co.uk/images/195/500/0/100/resize/private-number-plates.jpg
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 17 Mar 16 at 12:38
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Dutchie
You take to some people others you don't.He came in the the don't category.

RIP.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - John Boy
>> You take to some people others you don't.He came in the the don't category.

For me too, Dutchie, but when I looked at these I seemed to see a different person to the one I saw on TV:

news.sky.com/gallery/1655193/paul-daniels-a-life-in-pictures
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - BiggerBadderDave
Rich, lonely MILF alert!!!

Rich, lonely MILF alert!!!
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Armel Coussine
It was a bit too prole for me, not Daniels himself but that sort of big-audience cynical show. Strictly for the gum-chewing, blank-eyed hordes.
I tried opera once and didn't like it :-)
Me too smokie. I'm a polymorphous philistine.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Roger.
>> Me too smokie. I'm a polymorphous philistine.

Does that mean you are a blob?

(Or did you mean a polymathous) :-) :-)
Last edited by: Roger. on Thu 17 Mar 16 at 17:03
No. An unfortunate choice of words really.

Forget polymorphous. Think, cod-philistine by frequent choice. That's more like it. But nae matter eh?
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Runfer D'Hills
I once worked with a lady called Polly who married a Mr Bagge.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - MD
That'll be 5 pence please.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - RattleandSmoke
I remember him as a kid, I used to watch his show I think but I don't really remember much about him. I think I was about 8 when Paul Daniels made be obsessed with Magic but I soon grow out of it and preferred blowing up LEDs instead.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Pat
*note to self* Don't speed read while stirring Spag Bol.

I read that as 'blowing up dolls'

Which reminds me, have you heard the one about an Englishman and an Irishman and a Scotsman on an oil rig...........

Maybe not for on here:)

Pat
"I once worked with a lady called Polly who married a Mr Bagge"

Yeah, right, and their kids were called Ann and Big T? :-)

Its refreshing to be able to discuss a celeb who isn't inside for sexual abuse.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Runfer D'Hills
I liked him, not a lot, but I liked him...
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - No FM2R
Not really my cup of tea, but always seemed like a decent bloke going about his business. i saw him at a village fete once and he was doing an outstanding job of keeping many people happy as he walked around the stalls.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Crankcase
Some time ago we decided we would make the effort and go and see a few of those people who have been around forever, but must be getting to the end. Even though we weren't particularly fans, we went to see Paul Daniels do his thing about 18 months ago, if that. It was a great evening, and a couple of things he did still baffle Mrs C. I'm quite interested in "magic" in lots of senses, so I enjoyed it a lot.

A harmless man who was an excellent entertainer. RIP.

I would add that on our list was another man who was absolutely on his last legs, and we thought we'd better do it before it was too late. It was really only an ok night, but we were glad we made the effort as it was obvious he couldn't possibly go on much longer.

That was about ten years ago - Ken Dodd. The man appears unstoppable in every sense. Good for him.

Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Robin O'Reliant
>>>>
>> That was about ten years ago - Ken Dodd. The man appears unstoppable in every
>> sense. Good for him.
>>
>>
>>
A friend's aunt and uncle were Ken Dodd fanatics. They went everywhere to see him and if he had a show running for a full week they would often go and see every performance, even booking their holidays round it. They got to know him quite well and were often picked out as "Random" members of the audience in one of his routines.

A top bloke, by all accounts.
"A top bloke, by all accounts."

Tax accounts?
I never liked him. Not from his shows, from various other documentaries and wot not.

He was in that show, The Farm (a bit like Big Brother) where they vote the celebrities. He stormed out. I remember him in a documentary with Louis Theroux in his home by the Thames. He gave me the creeps. And I remember him in Wife Swap. He was 'orrible.
>
>> That was about ten years ago - Ken Dodd. The man appears unstoppable in every
>> sense. Good for him.

He's on my "I thought he was dead" list.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Harleyman

>> He's on my "I thought he was dead" list.
>>

Very much alive. Went to see him some years ago in Derby; he'd have been knocking on 70 then, but still a total force of nature on the stage. Not afraid to laugh at himself, a complete master of comic timing, and had us all in hysterics for over two hours without using one remotely rude word.

The so-called "comedians" of today could learn a lot from him.

More to the man than stand-up comedy too; he's played Shakespeare to critical acclaim and has a list of chart hits many musicians would kill for.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - sooty123
Thats another one I never got or found funny in the slightest. Mind you I suppose that's humour very subjective.

>> has a list of chart hits many musicians would kill for.

You jest, murder would have been a blessed alternative.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Harleyman

>> You jest, murder would have been a blessed alternative.
>>

I never said any of them were worth listening to. ;-)
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Crankcase
Well, because I'm a contrary soul, I have just deliberately searched out "The Best of Ken Dodd" on Spotify and listened to the lot, just because.

I also read the amazingly extensive article on Wikipedia about the history of the laugh track (who knew about the "laff box", and that it's possible tell when a programme was made simply by listening to the laugh track?).

It's been an interesting evening, I'll give it that.
 Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Stuartli
Paul Daniels was one of the very few - if not only one - to be given the full half-hour on the Granada Wheeltappers and Shunters Social Club TV series, followed by two or three more similar appearances.

He was one of the biggest show business stars of his time and this "Electric chairs" performance on the TV series, which demonstrates his talent, is still one of my favourites (first saw it on the OnDigital channels from Grandada TV):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgRCOLwIJAQ

Paul Daniels does his last vanishing trick.. - Stuartli
>>He's on my "I thought he was dead" list.>>

Ken is still very much with us but, sadly, at what is now a great age, he is having difficulty in maintaining his astonishing capacity to tell jokes for hour after hour and is, so I understand, now using written cues to help him.

We are sadly unlikely ever to see his ilk again.
Latest Forum Posts