Non-motoring > So you thought British politicians were stupid.... Computing Issues
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 32

So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - No FM2R

Abortion law is being discussed in Chile at the moment and it is an extremely controversial subject. Every insult, accusation, piece of abuse and bad word you can imagine is being thrown from one side to the other.

Specifically the bit they're discussing at the moment is whether or not a Mother should be permitted an abortion if the baby will be born substantially and life changingly disabled with a limited life expectancy.

One politician is very much against this and stood up the other day to give his reasons.

Substantially his view was that people were not considering the long term effects of such a law.

For example, had anybody considered that if potentially disabled babies were no longer born then in the future the annual telethon (Chilean Children in Need) so much enjoyed by everybody in the country would be lost and no longer be part of everybody's life and entertainment?

He has since reiterated this opinion.
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Armel Coussine
>> He has since reiterated this opinion.

He must be joking FMR. A severe joke, but quite a good one.
He wasn't joking AC.
>> He wasn't joking

Perhaps not, but it's still a good joke.
If you say so, I think you either take the man as a thick neanderthal who should never be listened to and should be kicked out of Government or you take him seriously and simply have him shot.

I can't quite see my way clear to seeing the "good joke" part of it.
>> I can't quite see my way clear to seeing the "good joke" part of it.

You're a serious cat FMR, even a bit solemn at times.

If you can't see the joke that lurks in deadly serious, well hard luck. Perhaps I'm frivolous and scatterbrained, but I may just have a sense of proportion.
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - MD
>> If you can't see the joke that lurks in deadly serious, well hard luck. Perhaps
>> I'm frivolous and scatterbrained, but I may just have a sense of proportion.

I understand you AC
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Cliff Pope
He's remarkably candid for a politician if he has noticed that charitable organisations have a vested interested in the continuing existence of the object of their charity.

He'll be observing next that the police force has a need for the continued existence of crime, so mustn't be too sucessful in fighting it.
He didn't care about the charity, he cared about the loss of an entertaining day's viewing once a year.
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Cliff Pope
>> He didn't care about the charity, he cared about the loss of an entertaining day's
>> viewing once a year.
>>

Same thing. That's the joke.
No it isn't and no it isn't.

I assume that both of you have been hitting the Sunday afternoon bottle.
Not for long enough to make any difference.

Don't take offence, but I detect a sort of puritanical streak in you somewhere FMR.

A lot of people have one. I have. It's inherited or passed on somehow. Not always good.
You do talk some old crap when you're drinking.
>> You do talk some old crap when you're drinking.

I have that excuse then.

Doubtless you are sober as a judge FMR at whatever time of day it is over there in the distance. Can't help wondering what your excuse is.

Best to you all the same. No offence at all. You are a good cat in my book.
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - CGNorwich
Could it be that he was trying to express the view, albeit in a rather clumsy manner, that disabled people too are part of the community and perhaps have as much right to be born as the fully able and perhaps we should not be playing God and deciding who should live?
I don't think so. The man is pretty much a dick. His point was clear.

"Si se aprueba el aborto por inviabilidad fetal, se legalizará la eugenesia y ya no tendremos Teletón..." --Gustavo Hasbún, UDI.

"if abortion in the case of fetal infeasibility is approved, then eugenics are legalised and we won't have the Telethon..."

Translation by me.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sun 20 Mar 16 at 19:40
>> then eugenics are legalised and we won't have the Telethon..."

A very fine example of the figure of speech Litotes (anti-climax).

Thanks FMR, I really mean it.
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Bromptonaut
When it comes to either intellectualising or popularising the 'arguments' against abortion I'm not sure our folks are that much better. And that applies whether you're talking about after the event contraception or taking non viable pregnancy to term.
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Roger.
If we could dispense with the BBC's begging-fests like Sport Relief , Comic Relief and Children In Need ........................................ ;-)
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Dutchie
That wouldn't be a bad idea Roger.What do these shows actually achieve and do they help the people who need it.

Remember that stupid remark by Glen Hoddle ex England football manager.If you are disabled it is a punishement from a previous live or words to that effect.

This idiot still appears on the television one in a while with his wise words.
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Duncan
>> Remember that stupid remark by Glen Hoddle ex England football manager.If you are disabled it
>> is a punishement from a previous live or words to that effect.
>>
>> This idiot still appears on the television one in a while with his wise words.

www.theguardian.com/football/1999/jan/30/newsstory.sport7
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Robin O'Reliant
>>>>
>> Remember that stupid remark by Glen Hoddle ex England football manager.If you are disabled it is a punishement from a previous live or words to that effect. This idiot still appears on the television one in a while with his wise words.
>>

I'll defend Hoddle's right to say this if he believes it to be true, no matter how stupid the rest of us think it is. Remember Sikhs believe the same thing as part of their religion.
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Ian (Cape Town)
No nation has a monopoly on thick politicians:

KwaZulu-Natal MEC for co-operative governance and traditional affairs Nomsa Dube on Monday called on the national department of science and technology to investigate the causes of lightning after seven people in lightning strikes.

"We will do an investigation and talk to the department of science and technology on what is the cause of the lightning,and if it only happened to the previously disadvantaged as I have never seen any white people being struck by lightning," said Dube.

She was visiting Mpumazi in Eshowe where seven people from two families died after being struck by lightning on Sunday.
>> where seven people from two families died after being struck by lightning on Sunday.

If they were standing on an eminence or even in the middle of a flat plain, they would serve as lightning conductors at times of intense atmospheric electrical activity.

Lightning is odd and unpredictable, but it can zigzag through a group of people instantaneously. You don't have to be made of metal, although metal fastenings and so on in the clothes of people struck by lightning do sort of burn and melt sometimes. You don't have to be standing under a tree or near a radio mast. Unfortunately there's no guaranteed way of avoiding it. It's quite frightening in a way.
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Westpig
>> "We will do an investigation and talk to the department of science and technology on
>> what is the cause of the lightning,and if it only happened to the previously disadvantaged
>> as I have never seen any white people being struck by lightning," said Dube.

So, does she really believe that white people are less likely to be struck by lightning?... or is she playing to the masses, many of whom could be uneducated and thinking they could be encouraged to think such thoughts.

1, is sad... sad that someone in a position of influence is so stupid.

2, is particularly unpleasant.

I wonder which it is?

So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - Haywain
"I wonder which it is?"

It is racism, WP.
>> It is racism, WP.

Worse still, it's racist lightning according to Ms Dube.

Only goes to show, dunnit?
>> "We will do an investigation and talk to the department of science and technology on
>> what is the cause of the lightning,and if it only happened to the previously disadvantaged
>> as I have never seen any white people being struck by lightning," said Dube.

Is this a new quote from Ms Dube or the same one that's been circulating since 2011?
 So you thought British politicians were stupid.... - CGNorwich
The original report of the visit contains no reference to white people not being struck by lighning. This was added later in a rather nasty racist hoax.
>> This was added later in a rather nasty racist hoax.

That's strangely unsurprising, and a relief to me.
>> The original report of the visit contains no reference to white people not being struck
>> by lightning. This was added later in a rather nasty racist hoax.

Thx CGN, that was my take too based on some research into the quote.

But since I've upset our man in Cape Town previously by positing liberal interpretations of reported remarks and activities by SA black nationalist activists I stuck with with 'open question' type query.
I utterly fail to see the point of not doing something and then saying you're not doing it.

Either just do it, or don't and say nothing.

Is it just showing off?
>> I utterly fail to see the point of not doing something and then saying you're
>> not doing it.
>>
>> Either just do it, or don't and say nothing.
>>
>> Is it just showing off?

What are you on about?

I tried a different tack.

That's all.

Latest Forum Posts