Non-motoring > Council Tax Bill Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 34

Council Tax Bill - legacylad
For 2016/17 an increase of 3.5%
Wish I could get that rate on my savings
 Council Tax Bill - CGNorwich
Inflation is running at 0.3%
 Council Tax Bill - Crankcase
Looked at mine the other day - I see the "police" bit is all of about £50. In a way it's a shame you can't have the option to say "tell you what, make that £100" and get a better police service.

£165 a month total, incidentally, dunno how that compares with the rest of the country.
 Council Tax Bill - sooty123
Ours is about £90 a month. I think that's pretty good.
 Council Tax Bill - Falkirk Bairn
Scottish Council tax has been frozen for the past 8 years.

£1450 a year - would have been £2142 if the Council had increased
the tax by 5% year on year.

Council Tax Bill - Bromptonaut
Using D as baseline ours is £1557.55 for year including the parish levy.

Although no individual precept has increased more than 2.9% overall it's gone up by 3.4% this year - 70% goes to the county. Think it's been near frozen for a couple of years prior to that.

Also, there's an additional 2% from the County specifically for adult social care. As well as the aging population changes to minimum/living wage mean costs in that area are rising somewhat faster than measured by the retail or consumer price indices.

Work brings me into contact with CT bills for a large swathe of Eastern England and I think we're pretty typical. At end of day it's largely smoke/mirrors and dictat from central gov.
 Council Tax Bill - movilogo
You can check council tax for any property here.
www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands

Council Tax Bill - Bromptonaut
>> You can check council tax for any property here.
>> www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands

That'll give you the band together with a link to the billing authority's website. The link may or may not work and may only take you the Council homepage from where you'll have to drill down to the CT information pages.

That's best way if you've got the time and need an accurate result.

www.mycounciltax.org.uk/content/index will give an approximation but can be out of date and does not necessarily fully reflect Parish etc precepts.

Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 22 Mar 16 at 13:12
 Council Tax Bill - Dog
Band C = £1377
>>You can check council tax for any property here.
>>www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands

England only!
 Council Tax Bill - Ambo
3.64% increase here, making £183 per month (band F).
 Council Tax Bill - Haywain
Bury St Edmunds - band E. Monthly payment goes from £182 to £186 = 2.2%

I'm not too surprised, it was going to have to go up sooner or later; it had remained static for what must be about 6 or 7 after the years of profligacy under the Labour government.

I don't mind if it's spent on services rather than salaries/pensions for the grandees and extensions to the glass palace.
 Council Tax Bill - Pat
Band B £1342 and up by 3.2% here in Fenland.

Pat
 Council Tax Bill - smokie
Band D, £1573 and up 3.6% for me.
 Council Tax Bill - Roger.
Band A - about £1100. Plus about 3.5% from last year.
Last edited by: Roger. on Tue 22 Mar 16 at 14:08
 Council Tax Bill - WillDeBeest
Band G and £2,700 for our unextended 1970s family cube. Probably the same as all the houses around us that have had bits added on and are now worth far more than ours. Revaluation? Doubt it; too many Tory-voters stand to lose.
 Council Tax Bill - Lygonos
£2250 for our Band G lump - as mentioned above Council Tax has been frozen in Scotland for a number of years, although the water charge goes up.

Cottage in the Borders is about £1050 for Band C or D, but that includes a 10% discount for being a second home, and £300 off as it has private sewerage (mains water supply, however).
 Council Tax Bill - Westpig
Band F..........£2360.50.......3.7% increase.......£236 per month
 Council Tax Bill - R.P.
Band G here....2200 plus 4.5%...
 Council Tax Bill - rtj70
Makes you wonder about the banding of houses.
 Council Tax Bill - legacylad
I thought Crowded House were a good band. One of the original members, Mark Hart, plays with John Helliwell ( Supertramp) in the group Creme Anglais which JH formed.
As you were.
 Council Tax Bill - Zero
>> I thought Crowded House were a good band. One of the original members, Mark Hart,
>> plays with John Helliwell ( Supertramp) in the group Creme Anglais which JH formed.
>> As you were.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag8XcMG1EX4&list=RDag8XcMG1EX4

some interesting cars in there too.
 Council Tax Bill - Westpig
>> Makes you wonder about the banding of houses.
>>
It certainly does. 'Twas a band E when we moved in, then they revalued it or whatever they do and put it up to an 'F'.

I queried it, because they erroneously included some building plans for a neighbour some way down the road, (who'd had a shed load of work done)... so they'd mixed up the two properties.

Eventually spoke to a lady in the Valuation Office Agency who told me she had been considering putting it up to a 'G' rather than an 'F' and if I stuck to my appeal I may well end up worse off.

Now i'm not stupid and considered she did that to get me to back off... trouble is, it worked.

Council Tax Bill - Zero
I dont make any noise when it comes to council tax. They have me as a D.

Council Tax Bill - Crankcase
I just looked at that banding website thingy.

Mine is a D, which of course I knew - but with an "improvement indicator" next to it - the only one in the street to have such an indicator.

Next door on one side is an A, and next door on the other is an F. That's probably reflected in prices - the Zoopla price for the band A next door (2 beds) is about £130k less than ours (3 beds), which in turn is about £400k less than the other side (4 beds I think).

It's all a bit bizarre, but all are different shapes, sizes and with different plots of land.

Incidentally, if anyone doesn't know about it, the Zoopla "we'll tell you how much your house is worth" site is here. I doubt it's VERY accurate, but gives you a flavour at least. Choose "house prices and values", obviously. Having said that, the cheaper house next to us sold a year ago and the Zoopla price at the time was just 5k adrift of the price they got.

www.zoopla.co.uk/

Council Tax Bill - Robin O'Reliant
>> I dont make any noise when it comes to council tax. They have me as
>> a D.
>>
>>
>>
Same here. We're still well under a grand per annum.
 Council Tax Bill - Zero
>> >> I dont make any noise when it comes to council tax. They have me
>> as
>> >> a D.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> Same here. We're still well under a grand per annum.

Even at a D its 1.9 times that here
 Council Tax Bill - Slidingpillar
If there is a re-banding exercise here, I'll have to keep a close eye on it. My house must be quite close to the top of a band, and it's perhaps the only house in the street that has not been extended. That coupled with a slightly smaller garden, but still huge by today's standards should mean it's the cheapest house in the street.

Mind you, if you really want to wince, look at business rates. My brother's shop pays over twice what a similar house would pay - is charged for rubbish removal and pretty obviously, is not a recipient of any of the benefits of the education budget.
>>Mind you, if you really want to wince,

BUSINESS rates

Last office I worked in

800 sq feet Central Glasgow -£15K rates & nearly £3K water & sewage - we could have drunk Champagne & flushed the toilets with Champagne cheaper than the water supply.

Council Tax Bill - VxFan
Band A = £1051.

Can't remember what is was last year.
 Council Tax Bill - Roger.
Wish we were on rateable value still - we have a rateable value of £130.00. ;-)
 Council Tax Bill - Cliff Pope
>> Wish we were on rateable value still - we have a rateable value of £130.00.
>> ;-)

When I moved here in 1985 the property was still on an agricultural rating of £20 pa.
Since then it's gone up steadily to band F £1870 pa.
 Council Tax Bill - mikeyb
Band F £2141 up 3.4%
 Council Tax Bill - sooty123
Some whopping council tax bills on here.
 Council Tax Bill - Ted

Band C here...about £1250. Looked on Zoopla out of interest and found a three bedroom unextended semi on our road up for sale at £310K. I was still under the impression that we were about a quarter of a million here.

Our house is a different one to that one but more sought after as it is a Georgian Villa with only a dozen built.

We gave £3750 for it in about 1970 and we were looking at spending no more than £2500 at the time. It was hard to get a mortgage as well. Now, you'd just bang it on your credit card !

We were big earners though....I think we raked in about £37 a week between us !
Latest Forum Posts