Non-motoring > R.I.P. 3D TV Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 25

R.I.P. 3D TV - Ambo
That was quick! I never had time even to view it in Curry's showroom.

www.avforums.com/article/in-memoriam-the-death-of-3d-tv.12427?utm_campaign=March_2016_Newsletter&utm_source=Suite26&utm_medium=Email+Campaign
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Roger.
We have it and I have used it once - to view Avatar from a Blu-Ray disc burn. OK but not worth the trouble of digging out the glasses!
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Slidingpillar
I talked via email to an ex-colleague about this. He said although it worked well perceptively, after about an hour, the glasses gave him a headache. Stuff like that, the expense, and the fact it requires nearly twice the bandwidth or near halved the quality meant the BBC made very few broadcasts using it. Those it did were mostly from Wimbledon where the cameras were owned and demonstrated by Sony Broadcast, a major player in professional equipment. As such, the equipment cost was minimal.

Apparently, from those who have seen the demonstrations, Super High Vision in the form of 4k HDTV is impressive and stands a far better chance of success. Even that may be a niche product as most people either sit too far from their TV screen, or it is plain not big enough. I sit too far at circa 10 foot from a 32" screen and I can only just tell the difference between decent SD and HDTV. Definition wise, some minor Freeview channels are rubbish mind you.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Armel Coussine
I seem to remember that 3dtv gave a sort of layered effect but wasn't properly 3d.

These modern TVs with a VistaVision*-proportioned wide flat screen are simply awesome if you can remember 405line. It's just like being in the future, which is what it is I suppose.

*Not Cinemascope which is wider.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - spamcan61
>> I seem to remember that 3dtv gave a sort of layered effect but wasn't properly
>> 3d.
>>
Correct, it isn't 3D at all, it's stereoscopic. Just another fairly pointless gimmick to shift TVs.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Lygonos
>> I sit too far at circa 10 foot from a 32" screen and I can only just tell the difference between decent SD and HDTV

Ah, but when you are on benefits and have the obligatory 55" LED in your 9ft x 9ft living room, you need 4k HD to hide the pixellation.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Zero
>> That was quick! I never had time even to view it in Curry's showroom.
>>
>> www.avforums.com/article/in-memoriam-the-death-of-3d-tv.12427?utm_campaign=March_2016_Newsletter&utm_source=Suite26&utm_medium=Email+Campaign

If one could be ars-ed enough, I think if you root back through the mists of time you will find a post from me (before 3d came) that it was doomed to failure.

Its the need to wear glasses. They realised back int he 50s when they first tried 3d at the cinema that the glasses were a turn off.

R.I.P. 3D TV - CGNorwich
Actually 3D had its first boom in the early 1920s, reappeared in the 1950s and then again in the recent boom although it now appears to be on the wain again in cinema. Should come back around 2030.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - BiggerBadderDave
"the glasses were a turn off."

Hey. That's why I always do it doggy-style.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Dog
>> That's why I always do it doggy-style.

Watch it! ... I bet you do anyway.

:o}
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Haywain
"I never had time even to view it in Curry's showroom.:

Mrs H and I have been contemplating the complexities of purchasing a new telly - ours is an 8yr old 32" Sony Bravia - state of the art ..... once. The demise of 3D means that we can cross that off the specs list.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Crankcase

>> The demise of 3D means that we can cross that off the specs list.

And of course you can cross off the specs too.

As to Avatar (the most popular film of all time? Really?) we got it from Lovefilm a few weeks ago, never having seen it, to see what the fuss was about. Well, we still haven't seen it because we were both bored witless with the inanity within twenty minutes and very unusually for us, gave up. What a tedious load of old predictable hoohah.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Alanovich
That film wasn't about the story, which is just as well because, as you say, it was predictable old tosh.

The film was all about the special effects and cinematography.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, just that it's a thing. I enjoyed the film, even though I've not seen it in 3D.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - CGNorwich
I think I have only seen two films where 3D added anything. One was Gravity and the other was Life of Pi.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Falkirk Bairn
3D never bothered me.

One eyed for the last 62 years - so contrary to some the world around me is flat!
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Runfer D'Hills
Don't wink and drive then FB.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Harleyman

>> As to Avatar (the most popular film of all time? Really?) we got it from
>> Lovefilm a few weeks ago, never having seen it, to see what the fuss was
>> about. Well, we still haven't seen it because we were both bored witless with the
>> inanity within twenty minutes and very unusually for us, gave up. What a tedious load
>> of old predictable hoohah.
>>

You're not the only ones. I stuck it for about the same length of time; Mrs HM, who loves her films, gave up within an hour.

Ridiculously overhyped.
>> Mrs HM, who loves her films, gave up within an hour.

>> Ridiculously overhyped.

I usually watch movies to the end. I don't have to give them my full attention if they aren't worth it.

Avatar is a case in point. I watched it with mounting indifference and now can't remember much about it.

A movie has to be very bad indeed, offensively bad, to induce me to turn it off before it's run its course. It happens, but not often. I am a patient, tolerant and idle person.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Roger.
M.A.S.H., the movie, (not the TV series ) - we walked out after about three quarters of an hour.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Robin O'Reliant
>> M.A.S.H., the movie, (not the TV series ) - we walked out after about three
>> quarters of an hour.
>>

If you are talking about the original I thought it was great, much better than the TV spin off where all the characters were far too cuddly and nice.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - CGNorwich
If you can sit through any Michale Bay movie there is no hope for you.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Slidingpillar
The MASH movie was the starting point - the series came afterwards.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - rtj70
And did anyone know there was a series off-shoot after M*A*S*H called After MASH?

www.imdb.com/title/tt0084969/

Neither did I. Not very good apparently. Only stumbled across a reference elsewhere to its existence today.
>> Avatar is a case in point. I watched it with mounting indifference and now can't remember much about it.

Herself tells me I actually saw it in the cinema, doing grandpaternal duty with a couple of nippers. I had forgotten that.

I remember it as a distinctive looking but empty movie. Lots of blue in it.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Crankcase

>> I remember it as a distinctive looking but empty movie. Lots of blue in it.
>>

Are you sure you're not remembering Mary Millington? I've never seen any of her films but I do recall faintly strange (to a small boy) posters outside the Empire cinema. I was never taken to that one for some strange reason.
 R.I.P. 3D TV - Dutchie
We have a 3d Television I think my missus used the glasses once I don't bother.

Ours is the Sony really nice picture in HD 50 inch screen.Just finished watching a Cop Series from Finland.Netflix.Down to earth actors really enjoyed it.Now looking for something else to watch problaby house of cards top actor who plays for president.
Latest Forum Posts