Non-motoring > Would you move? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 94

Would you move? - Crankcase
Living on the edge of the Fens, it's decidedly flat around here. So we dream of hills and hillwalking, but it's confined to holidays and sighing at television programmes for us at the minute.

Do those of you who live in the lumpy bits ever get the desire to be in the flat bits? I like it here but if life were different or changes occur I think we'd move quite happily to somewhere with some ups and downs.

Having said that, here are some pretty pictures of my local area (not taken by me, though I do have lots of similar). In fact two or three of these are within walking distance of my house, and the rest mostly only a few minutes away. It's not all grey nothing, though it feels like it today.

ousewashes.org.uk/ouse-news/30-reasons-the-fens-are-so-boring-and-bleak/
 Would you move? - Pat
Some really good photo's there Crankcase.

I'm not sure what the answer is to that one though.

I'm from the rolling hills of the Leicestershire/Rutland border and miss those hills like mad.

Ian, on the other hand, is from North Kent and loves the big skies so much in the Fen, he says he would never want to go back to Kent.

I still can't see the point of walking in the Fen because you can see where you'll get to even if it is in the distance but give me a gentle hill and I want to go up and see what's on the other side.

Pat
 Would you move? - Lygonos
>>Do those of you who live in the lumpy bits ever get the desire to be in the flat bits?

Never.
 Would you move? - Manatee
I like fenland, and the east of England in general.

It isn't a question of good and bad, or even good and better, but when I am in Yorkshire I realise how much I miss proper hills, even compared with the not-completely-flat Vale of Aylesbury or the Chilterns.

I experience the same feeling in the Lakes, or the bumpy bits of Northumberland, Snowdonia, and Scotland for example.

If I could live anywhere, without regard to where work (not much of an issue now) and family are, then it would be Northumberland I think.
 Would you move? - Zero
I'll visit both the flatlands and the hills. But give me the middle to live any time.
 Would you move? - WillDeBeest
Plenty of ups and downs (roughly equal numbers of each) here in the South Chilterns. It's good walking country; a bit more demanding on a bike but we do it anyway.

I used to think flat country was dull until we discovered the coastal marshes of Poitou-Charentes. Boring to walk but fantastic for cycling and birdwatching - although mind the handlebars with that telescope. There's a long, straight, quiet road there where I once stopped my bike, looked around at the egrets, herons, barriers and white cattle and thought, there is nowhere I would rather be and nothing I would rather be doing. Don't get that feeling very often.

Couldn't earn a living there, though, so it's the M4 corridor for the time being.
 Would you move? - Dog
I'd love to live in flatland, but only for cycling. When I see the views from some properties in the fens on Escape to the Country I think no-way could I live somewhere wivva flat view like that.

When we lived up on Bodmin Moor we had views all the way to the 'Cornish Alps'. When we lived in Gorran Haven, we had sea views = boring!

Gimme an upland country view any day - I likes me views see :)
 Would you move? - Zero
I dont know why every one goes on about the views in the fens. There are none. All i can ever see is the next bunch of reeds 5 feet away.

However.

I love the fens, Its the nearest we have to bandit country, and you can see the trains for miles (the railway track is the only high ground)
 Would you move? - Cliff Pope
>>(the railway track is the only high ground)
>>

And the rivers and Ely cathedral.

I divided my school holidays between boating on the fens and farmland in Leicstershire/Rutland. For the last 30 years I've lived in slightly hilly west Wales.

I hate being in valleys in between mountains or big hills, and feel at home in very flat country.
On balance, somewhere in between is best.

But it's my own small isolated patch that matters most, although a distant view is a nice bonus.
 Would you move? - Zero
>> >>(the railway track is the only high ground)
>> >>
>>
>> And the rivers and Ely cathedral.

I tried to tell Pat that Ely is a hill, but she wouldn't believe me
 Would you move? - Manatee

>> I tried to tell Pat that Ely is a hill, but she wouldn't believe me

The cathedral is called the "ship of the fens" IIRC.
 Would you move? - Zero
>>
>> >> I tried to tell Pat that Ely is a hill, but she wouldn't believe
>> me
>>
>> The cathedral is called the "ship of the fens" IIRC.

Its hull is not in the water.
 Would you move? - Pat
Ely is not a hill. The only hill around here is Warboys.

I know that because when I first moved over here I went to a farm in Chatteris to collect a trailer load of Heston bales to go to Scotland and the farmer told me the bales were still on the field on the 'high ground'.

That was all the directions I got apart from he pointed in the general direction of Huntingdon and sure enough, that was where I found them!

Off to Cornwall now for the weekend to see some proper scenery from the window of one of WdeB's hated wobble boxes!

....and to give the XC60 it's first proper workout if I can find the b***** handbrake:)

Pat
 Would you move? - Dog
>>Off to Cornwall now for the weekend to see some proper scenery from the window of one of WdeB's hated wobble boxes!

All change now wevvawise :( .. Tis a shame b'cos it's been sooo nice of late. I've even got a bit of colour on my legs!
 Would you move? - Fenlander
>>>Ely is not a hill. The only hill around here is Warboys.

Shows how little it takes to become a hill in the fens really... Ely perhaps 20m but Warboys towering to 30m!

On the Fens vs other places.... we lived there for some 18yrs prior to the move here 4yrs ago. The Fen place suited us then... this area does now.

As a family we've never felt defined by the area we live in... wherever it might have been it was home.
 Would you move? - Ted

Best of both worlds here. I like the big city, which is fairly flat, with all it's facilities and history. In just 15 minutes we can be approaching the moorlands of the High Peak and the White Peak, both of which I love deeply.

I spent my teenage years getting meself out there, either by train or pushbike, camping, hiking and youth hostelling. We have very close access to the beautiful farming county of Cheshire which has one or two peaks of it's own.

If I had the choice, I would live somewhere like Holmes Chapel or Goostrey, near Jodrell Bank. Great cycling area and each of the small towns has most of what you want....church, pub, shop and rail station....30 minutes or so from Manchester Piccadilly.

The hills circle us here and are often in view....from Rivington Pike in the North to Alderley Edge in the South.
 Would you move? - Armel Coussine
This country has an astonishing variety of landscapes, and I've cut through or lived in most of them at some time over the past 50 years, Celtic fringes included.

I still can't believe our luck in having this complicated, beautiful place.

If you're a stranger it probably has a forbidding side, not unconnected to our imperial history.

Would you move? - Runfer D'Hills
I'd move in a heartbeat. Too flat here, too many horrible brick houses instead of proper stone ones, can't see the sea and too many English here too.

Place is beyond redemption frankly.

;-)
 Would you move? - sooty123
We live on the edge of the fens. I quite like it, I do miss the hills and valleys where i grew up but only when I go and see them. Day to day i don't miss them. Would i move? Possibly not, but will end up no doubt more a matter of when rather than if. I'm quite settled and quite like the countryside, we are quite lucky in that it's a nice area to live, good schools, very low crime. And very reasonable house prices held down by low wages and very poor transport links and very few big employers.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 23 Mar 16 at 17:59
 Would you move? - Roger.
South Pembrokeshire in first place, Suffolk second, but for sheer transport convenience - Worksop :-)
 Would you move? - Armel Coussine
>> South Pembrokeshire in first place, Suffolk second, but for sheer transport convenience - Worksop :-)

Never been to Worksop that I can remember, but there was a time when I knew South Pembrokeshire very well indeed. Lived in Fishguard and Dinas Cross. Dinas Cross Council School was a real eye-opener for me, and the other nippers were very kind considering. They found me even more exotic than I found them. Soon I was kicked upstairs to the County Grammar. That was pretty merry hell, but there were a couple of good cats.

Repeating myself for sure. Sorry.
 Would you move? - Roger.
Ten minutes home to the A1. 15 minutes home to the M1!
 Would you move? - tyrednemotional
....yup. That's the one thing Worksop's got going for it - you can get away from it quickly!
 Would you move? - Roger.
Very true! The town itself is a tip, but the suburbs are OK!
 Would you move? - Old Navy
Flatlands are not for me, the skiing is rubbish.

This may become a problem for flood plain dwellers.

www.express.co.uk/news/science/655041/REVEALED-The-world-s-major-cities-which-could-be-UNDERWATER-in-50-years
 Would you move? - The Melting Snowman
We prefer hills and varied landscape. The Fens would not appeal to us. We prefer Worzel country.
 Would you move? - Alastairw
Your end of Cheshire doesn't seem that bad to me rdh. My view may be coloured by where my gf lives mind you.
To be serious for a moment, of course there are many worse places to be. But maybe some will know what I mean when I say that here I feel like a square peg in a round hole. It's just too, I don't know, soft maybe. I like hard places. Can't really explain it. Probably talking nonsense as usual !
You mean things to be a bit, well sort of, a struggle? Things are a bit too twee ?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Wed 23 Mar 16 at 20:13
Maybe
...prefer deep fried to soft crust.........?

I never took to Reading whilst I lived there, but was surprised to find how many friends I'd made when I left.

Daughter now works there and lives commutable distance away. Any nostalgia is long gone, and visits leave me glad I don't still live there.

(with apologies to all on here who, I know, still do).
 Would you move? - Focusless
>> I never took to Reading whilst I lived there ...
>> visits leave me glad I don't still live there.
>>
>> (with apologies to all on here who, I know, still do).

Not for much longer, hopefully - house is on the market...

Actually I've been quite happy here, although strictly speaking we've been in the suburbs (Lower Earley/Woodley) rather than Reading proper. Have always liked the Lakes though - regular holidays there as a child, and parents moved there just after I started uni; only recently moved to be near my sister's family in Nottingham. Does get busy in the summer though - almost as bad as Reading on a normal day :)
 Would you move? - Alanovich
tyred, Reading's a great place to live these days if you're of working age and bringing up a family. Of course, people are entitled to feel otherwise but it suits me/us down to the ground. I've got at least another 20 years here, and I'm more than happy with that.

I expect I'll leave when those two conditions of work and children no longer apply though, and my sketchy retirement plan is to have two smaller properties - one in France, one in the south of England somewhere. We will also have our houses in Montenegro and Bosnia, I expect our flat in Belgrade will be sold as there's not much attractive about that place as a retirement location.

Now, I'm going to need a large estate car to move between all that lot.........
...when I lived there, I used to travel (a lot) by train for work.

I regularly caught an early train to Paddington (and then onwards) that habitually arrived virtually empty, and thus guaranteed a seat. Didn't stop people (literally) fighting at the doorways to be first on. Seeing this more than once convinced me my resolve to move further North was justified.

I think Reading is now (more of) a dump than it was, but the surroundings are still pleasant. It might simply be me turning into "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells", because I can see my comments on Worksop above, which, 20+ years ago I didn't count as unattractive, but now must be up there in the "if the world had piles, that's where they'd be" race.

(though, after initially looking for a house around Reading, for all the attractions it has for a young person, my daughter eventually bought to the West, and now, by preference, is drawn to Newbury, rather than Reading, for entertainment, shopping and eating).
>> I think Reading is now (more of) a dump than it was

That's really surprising. In my view it's far less of a dump than when I moved here 22 years ago. Difference is night and day. Socially speaking there were two pubs I was happy to visit without fear of a punch up, and hardly anywhere decent to eat out.

Now, well, on the occasions I do venture out socially the choice is bewildering.

The area to the west of Reading towards Newbury is very attractive, but less convenient for may things and reasons. I often browse Rightmove to see what there is in the RG7 postcode, just in case like. But I can find no compelling reason to leave where I am. I expect you know the area I'm in - Mapledurham ward, particularly west of the A4074, is a really, really nice place to live.

:-)
...as I think you know, I lived first on Caversham Park, and then in Caversham Heights (and for a good few years The Pack Horse was my local, so I certainly know the Mapledurham area).

(Though I left around 36 years ago - somewhat before you arrived ;-) )

As I say, there are still some very attractive areas around Reading, but the town centre does nothing for me. I'm not a great fan of The Oracle, (Or most large indoor shopping centres for that matter), it is considerably scruffier than when I was there, and much of the surroundings of the station is now a concrete canyon.

(maybe I am turning into "Disgusted of Caversham")
I know what you mean to an extent. I'm no great fan of The Oracle either, but I think it has had a ripple effect to the rest of the town centre, which now has a far greater range of good eating and drinking places than ever before.

The station has been magnificently transformed, but the surrounding area is still work in progress and will be for some years. I think it's going the right way though.

It isn't the most beautiful of towns by a long chalk, but there are nice places and I think we make for too little of them - the Forbury and Abbey Ruins area for example. These could be a real focal point but are criminally ignored. Maybe when the prison gets redeveloped this will change. I find it hard to square that someone thinks the town more of a dump now than in 1980, but each to their own I suppose.

Decent houses in good areas sell in a day, prices are mind boggling. Somebody likes the place? ;-)
>>
>> Decent houses in good areas sell in a day, prices are mind boggling. Somebody likes
>> the place? ;-)
>>

......that doesn't all always go together.........

(as Bank of Dad was involved in daughter's purchase, I know what the prices are like :-( )
 Would you move? - Dog
>>It's just too, I don't know, soft maybe. I like hard places.

I felt like that at our previous gaff. Nice place, 4 fireplaces don't cha know, in a nice part of Truro but, I longed to get back to the moor, living in an olde cottage with beams and an inglenook fireplace, chopping wood, carrying coal (this guy ain't no Londoner FFS!)

Been here for 5 years now and feel better/fitter (fizzycally AND mentally) for it.
Not everyone's cup of tea I know but, each to his/her own as they say.
 Would you move? - R.P.
www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53476090.html

Anybody want a very nice house ?
 Would you move? - henry k
>> Anybody want a very nice house ?
>>
Certainly ticks a lot of boxes.

Location, location, location.
In my area it would be at least three times the price then knock it down and build six lumps on the site.
 Would you move? - R.P.
That was the plan for the back garden, until one of the most corrupt councils in the country intervened......long before we bought it
 Would you move? - Duncan
>> one of the most corrupt councils in the country intervened

Wow!

One of the most corrupt Welsh councils in Wales!

That is some accolade.
 Would you move? - R.P.
UK actually and that takes some doing.
 Would you move? - Bromptonaut
Neither child likely to return home and no lasting connection to Northants mean we'd begun to consider relocation. Much as I'd like to go back to Yorkshire the area I want is either too remote, out of my price range or both.

North Staffs, around Leek but outside the Peak National Park, was an idea we'd mulled over. But it's even further from Miss B than here and while FlyBe Manchester to Exeter was possible nothing on their network feels permanent. Plan went no further.

Good job since we're now tied to Oxford until Mrs B completes her PHd. Keep looking at villages towards Banbury but places I'd want are too expensive. Stay put for a few more years I think.
 Would you move? - Dutchie
I wouldn't move.That landscape reminds me where I was born.Flat land rivers and peace and quiet.

I like the hustle and bustle of a town but to retreat to that kind of land is nice.

My uncle who is a landscape painter he is in his late eighties now used to take me to the rivers and showed me how to paint.I never picked it up but still enjoyed his teachings.
 Would you move? - CGNorwich
I put my house on the market back in January. Had an offer for full asking price in a week and spent a couple of months looking for something better. Was prepared to add a substantial amount to the price. Basically very little on the market and mostly what was available was overpriced rubbish. Got bored in the end and gave up the idea at least for now.
I think traditionally it's a quiet time to be buying and selling houses. After easter is when it picks up i believe. Someone in the family is trying to move at the moment, can't get an offer on their place been on the market about 10 weeks. Very little to look at on the market as well.
10 weeks = overpriced. You may be right bought timing but precious little around at the moment. And I thought Easter was the time to sell.

Truly astonished by the condition of some of the houses I viewed.
>> 10 weeks = overpriced. You may be right bought timing but precious little around at the moment. And I thought Easter was the time to sell.
>>
>> Truly astonished by the condition of some of the houses I viewed.
>>

I think timing is very important when buying and selling yes. i don't know tbh, it looks about par looking at the rest of the area. I don't think anything is moving. I know all the EA they spoke to said they had a shortage of property of all prices on their books.

You mean dirty or in need of repair?
If there is a shortage of property then you should sell in a few weeks if properly priced and presented.

I have looked at properties that were both dirty an in need of large amounts of work but for which vendors expected top value
>> If there is a shortage of property then you should sell in a few weeks
>> if properly priced and presented.
>>

It's not me, i think there is equally a shortage of buyers. So I think would cancel each other out?

Would you move? - Zero
Generally speaking, its a sellers market in popular areas and has been for two years. If you want to buy round here, you need to be hitting the Agents every day to get stuff before it hits any form of marketing.
 Would you move? - Old Navy
>> Generally speaking, its a sellers market in popular areas and has been for two years.
>> If you want to buy round here, you need to be hitting the Agents every
>> day to get stuff before it hits any form of marketing.
>>

Similar situation in the small popular estate I live in. We are often leafletted by potential buyers requesting notification of any potential house moves.
 Would you move? - R.P.
We looked at one place at the top of the budget - it was very nice. Type of place where a RR Sport would look good parked outside. There was an indoor swimming pool.....as mentioned in a post above what RM didn't show was the probable £100k we'd need to spend to bring it to anywhere near a habitable standard made us walk away.
 Would you move? - henry k
>> Generally speaking, its a sellers market in popular areas and has been for two years.
>>
only two years>
>> If you want to buy round here, you need to be hitting the Agents every
>> day to get stuff before it hits any form of marketing.
>>
30+ years ago when we bought our current house the agent called us as soon as the seller exited after giving instructions to sell. No sales stuff was produced before we instantly agreed to buy.
They did in the end produce sales stuff for their records.

Many weeks we get sealed letters hand delivered from agents saying they have buyers wanting to buy a house in our road or a couple of roads close by.
Ours is an ordinary semi in possibly the best road, on the best side, for semis in the area and there are only about a dozen with all the rest detached houses.
It has intensified since the local school added a sixth form ( old money term ) that appears to be very very well. Prices still seem to be climbing as fast as ever.

I read that Oxford is the worst place for high prices
www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-house-prices-oxford-winchester-london-cambridge-bath-are-top-5-least-affordable-cities-1551857

Would you move? - Zero
>> >> Generally speaking, its a sellers market in popular areas and has been for two
>> years.
>> >>
>> only two years>

Well like every place there are times when the market takes a sudden dip, and it all shudders to a halt. It shudders to a halt because people think, having bought at the top of the market, it can't possibly be worth the same or slightly less. Its owner induced over valuation.

>> It's not me, i think there is equally a shortage of buyers. So I think
>> would cancel each other out?

I think it's very difficult to generalise. Too much local variation.

Round here anything in the villages that's either a family or a starter home shifts in days. Traditional cottages with fewer than 3 beds may be a slightly different prospect. Anything else not moving is either overpriced or has problems.

Different in town, particularly in the 'eastern districts'.

>> I think it's very difficult to generalise. Too much local variation.
>>

I think so, as true as it ever was. Looking at some of the house are in the local none of them seem to be selling either, all the stuff they looked at weeks ago are all still on the market.
 Would you move? - Kevin
>I think traditionally it's a quiet time to be buying and selling houses.

I thought so too but the house next door went on sale three weeks ago and sold within days for 100k more than they paid for it four years ago.

I hope that doesn't mean that the charm of Basingstoke has been discovered.
 Would you move? - Zero

>> I hope that doesn't mean that the charm of Basingstoke has been discovered.

The unique charms of Basingstoke.
 Would you move? - Kevin
>..charms of Basingstoke.

There's more than one?

>> I hope that doesn't mean that the charm of Basingstoke has been discovered.
>>

...if it has, it won't have been found in Basingstoke....... ;-)
 Would you move? - Clk Sec
>> I put my house on the market back in January. Had an offer for full asking price in a week

You managed to clear the moss from your garage roof, then?
;)
>> Neither child likely to return home and no lasting connection to Northants mean we'd begun to consider relocation. Much as I'd like to go back to Yorkshire the area I want is either too remote, out of my price range or both.
>>

Out of idle curiosity whereabouts were looking at in Yorkshire?
>> Out of idle curiosity whereabouts were looking at in Yorkshire?

Contemplating rather than planning. Horsforth/Aireborough/Ilkley is too expensive. Legacylad land is, realistically, too remote.

Almost thought of offering for house my Grandmother lived in near Kippax but (a) Mrs B wouldn't have worn it and (b) too many practical issues - damp, shared access etc.
Right cheers, I'd probably go with ilkley out of those, doubt i could afford it. I'm totally out of touch with house prices there.

Just had a look at some prices, ain't cheap are they?
Last edited by: sooty123 on Mon 28 Mar 16 at 21:33
>> www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53476090.html
>>
>>

Very nice pad, i like the open plan at the back of the house with all those windows.
 Would you move? - Dog
>>Anybody want a very nice house ?

De acuerdo.
>> www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-53476090.html
>>

If you could just pick it up and drop it down in Devizes for us, then yes please :)

(BTW fancy a nice place in Woodley?)
 Would you move? - Zero

>> If you could just pick it up and drop it down in Devizes for us,
>> then yes please :)

And add maybe 100k to the price as well?

>>
>> >> If you could just pick it up and drop it down in Devizes for us,
>> >> then yes please :)
>>
>> And add maybe 100k to the price as well?

Er, ok, the £370k properties we've been looking at aren't quite as nice as that one...
 Would you move? - legacylad
Stuff Ilkley. Vastly overrated. A half decent 'Spoons but not what it was 30 years ago. Friends live just over the Wharfe in a small hamlet called Nesfield, and other friends live either side of Ilkley at Addingham & Burley in Wharfedale. I much prefer Otley. An honest working town with proper shops.
I live just outside Settle in t'Dales NP. One hour on the train to Leeds. 45 mins in car to Ambleside. 35 minutes on train from Giggleswick station to Lancaster. Limestone country means it's normally dry underfoot for dog walking!
Leeds Bradford airport one hour. Lovely people, community spirit. Low crime= cheap car insurance.
And no you can't all come and live here
 Would you move? - Ted

I have a model Patriot class locomotive called Giggleswick....the real thing was one of the regular 'namers' past our house in the 50s.

Just saying.
I live just outside Settle in t'Dales NP. One hour on the train to Leeds.
>> 45 mins in car to Ambleside. 35 minutes on train from Giggleswick station to Lancaster. Limestone country means it's normally dry underfoot for dog walking! Leeds Bradford airport one hour. Lovely people, community spirit. Low crime= cheap car insurance. And no you can't all come and live here
>>

I've not been to settle in about 20 years. I used to go once or twice a year, and always enjoyed it .I must make an effort to go back there.
Sooty, if you return can I recommend Valleymead Guest House in Giggleswick? Owned by friends of mine and only a few hundred yards from my place. Three letting rooms, 15 min walk into Settle, 2 minutes to my local!
If you need any local info, walking, drinking & dining, feel free to contact me via the Mods.
 Would you move? - Zero
Would I move?

At the moment? Nah. Where I live has everything I need. I look out my back windows, and I see no houses or building, only trees and grass for 500 yards, and no one looks in at me. I am 10 minutes walk away from a Waitrose one way, and 10 minutes walk away from proper local shops and tradesmen the other. I am 10 minutes walk from a Mainline railway station which is 30 minutes away from the centre of London. I am 10 minutes away from a motorway, 30 minutes away from a National Park and area of outstanding natural beauty.

I can walk the dog out of my front door and after 300 yards let the dog off and we can walk for 30 miles without hitting a single road. The place wont get flooded till the next ice age melts, it doesn't need scaffolding to paint walls,

I wont say it was all planned that way, but hey.
.....pity it's not in the North, though. Eh! .....
 Would you move? - Zero
>> .....pity it's not in the North, though. Eh! .....

Indeed, I could then spend my days whining about southerners and the unfairness of it all.
 Would you move? - R.P.
I love southeners....after all they pay for the excellent roads around here ! :-)
 Would you move? - Zero
>> I love southeners....after all they pay for the excellent roads around here ! :-)

Surely the whole country is east of you?
>> >> .....pity it's not in the North, though. Eh! .....
>>
>> Indeed, I could then spend my days whining about southerners and the unfairness of it
>> all.
>>

....ah, come on, at your age everyone needs a pastime:

If you moved, you could/would have to learn a completely new language, the dog could frolic with Whippets, and you could learn to drink mild. (on second thoughts, strike that last one on several grounds!).

And, best of all, your car would look much more at home amongst all those council Houses that Social Housing.

;-)
 Would you move? - Zero

>> And, best of all, your car would look much more at home amongst all those
>> council Houses
that Social Housing.

True it does look out of place in Deutsch Auto Straße and MPV Parkplatz
Young colleague and his Mrs are desperately trying to buy a house round here - nightmare.

So far (just since Christmas) they've:

- put in an offer, chased up to well over asking, finally had it accepted, seller changed her mind a week later

- put in another offer, chased it up to well over selling, finally had it accepted, another seller changed her mind two weeks later

- put in an offer, chased it up to so far over asking they had to drop out

- same scenario on the next one

- put in an offer, chased up to well over asking, dropped out and told them so, but agent didn't tell other the party so other party kept bidding up and up, seller finally accepting huge price (of course) which if not illegal seems unethical at the least.

- looked at perhaps ten or so properties that were very expensive for what they were and so not offered on them

No fun at all in that.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 29 Mar 16 at 09:13
They wouldn't need to chase up to well over asking if they bought in Bradford or Keighley.
Just commenting as a Bradfordian ( now removed)
Definitely not advising
>> Young colleague and his Mrs are desperately trying to buy a house round here -
>> nightmare.
>>
>> So far (just since Christmas) they've:..

sounds like incredibly hard work CC, whereabouts are they trying to buy?

>> sounds like incredibly hard work CC, whereabouts are they trying to buy?
>>

Within a sensible commute of Cambridge. Very few could afford to actually live IN Cambridge these days. I certainly couldn't.

Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 29 Mar 16 at 12:59
Within a sensible commute of Cambridge. Very few could afford to actually live IN Cambridge these days. I certainly couldn't.
>>

cheers, the housing market does seem crazy in many parts, with prices up and up with no signs of stopping.
Cheers LL, I'll keep that in mind. We'd probably stop in a cottage, might be able to go this year or more likely next. But it's definitely somewhere I'd want to go back to.
Let me know... I have contacts who own cottages, and some new builds, which Are holiday lets....Air BnB, that Sort of thing
But don't get me started on that... Enough youngsters here in low paid jobs who cannot compete with older cash buyers buying places to rent out. Grrrrr.
Again cheers LL.
 Would you move? - Mike H
>> Do those of you who live in the lumpy bits ever get the desire to
>> be in the flat bits? I like it here but if life were different or
>> changes occur I think we'd move quite happily to somewhere with some ups and downs.
>>
No, in a nutshell. We live in Austria, which is very lumpy in places. We live in an elevated position in a wide valley. From our lounge we can see 3 peaks over 1500 metres, and various other rocky bits. Having lived here, there is no way that either SWMBO or I would ever live anywhere flat. We could manage the South Downs, Welsh valleys, Yorkshire Dales etc, and various types of rolling hills, but nothing flat.
Last edited by: Mike H on Tue 29 Mar 16 at 19:26
Sounds marvellous...my kind of scenery
Any skiing nearby? Of course there must be, but close enough to drive there and back again in a day without too strenuous a drive.
 Would you move? - Mike H
>> Sounds marvellous...my kind of scenery
>> Any skiing nearby? Of course there must be, but close enough to drive there and
>> back again in a day without too strenuous a drive.
>>
30 minutes drive, or 45 minutes for the good stuff. The longest ski run in Upper Austria, at 11km, is 45 minutes. Lots of langlauf as well :-)
Sigh...
I thought my friends were fortunate living in Placerville. Only a one hour drive up 50 to Sierra At Tahoe ski resort. Early start for first tracks, but if a big storm arrived it took hours to get home. Eight hours is the max to date, by a convoluted route around the mountains.
Latest Forum Posts