Non-motoring > Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 30

Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Zero
Todays Conundrum

This morning (early) the Fiesta failed to start, clearly a flat battery. Wife wails in frustration about her inability to get to early morning Pilates.

Obviously step one is throwing her the keys to the sty tourer, < TICK >
Obviously step 2 is to give up any idea of a leissulrely breakfast while she is out, so put down the tea and toast, change out of dressing gown and slap the battery charger onto the Fiesta < TICK >

So far so good

Now the question. " why has the battery gone flat, its been ok before?

Do you reply

(1) "Well sweetness I guess it was my fault, because I was playing war of the worlds at full blast on your car stereo for three hours* with the doors and boot open, while I changed your brake pads and in the process did two starts to prime the hydraulics"

or

(2) "Well the battery is 6 years old, it could be getting a little tired, and it was very cold this morning lets see how it goes"

Answers on a post card.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Runfer D'Hills
Or 3, sometimes darling, and I'm not saying this is the case, it might well be "2" but car electrics can be disturbed by impacts to the bumpers. It's because the airbag flingelwidget sender unit is receiving false information thus draining the source on the transmitter sensor control box.

But don't you go blaming yourself, it's almost certainly nothing to do with that and coincidences do happen.

I think I've managed to fix it for you anyway.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Slidingpillar
As the full answer will result in phrases such as: "your dinner is in the dog", and probably the silent treatment for a few days, best stick with number 2.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Alanovich
2, up to a point. Don't see how it goes.

Change the battery for new, and in doing so guarantee it won't fail to start for another 6 years. The route of least potential earache.

Remember, everything is your fault, it's best if you just accept this and implement all policies necessary in order to minimise the consequences to your eardrums.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Crankcase
You could tell her the chocolate is in the post. But then, I suppose, the chances of anything coming from Mars...
>> You could tell her the chocolate is in the post. But then, I suppose, the
>> chances of anything coming from Mars...

Are a million to one they said.

Very good CC, that one nearly passed us all by.
>> 2, up to a point. Don't see how it goes.
>>
>> Change the battery for new, and in doing so guarantee it won't fail to start
>> for another 6 years. The route of least potential earache.

So you would make your wife buy a new battery for something you were responsible for?

Brave very very Brave.
No, I would just buy it myself and fit it. Straight down to ECP, fit it before she's home from Pilates.
>> No, I would just buy it myself and fit it. Straight down to ECP, fit
>> it before she's home from Pilates.

Still got that renault virus in your bloodstream i think.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Ian (Cape Town)
>> The route of least potential earache.
>>
>>... minimise the consequences to your eardrums.
>>

After three hours of blasting Jeff Lynn, his eardrums will be able to cope with anything.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Crankcase
Wayne, not Lynn. Different kettle entirely!
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Ian (Cape Town)
Thanks. My bad.
(was listening to ELO just the other day...)
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - No FM2R
1) Obviously not.

2) Still not. It implies that you haven't fixed anything, taken any direct action or prevented it occurring in the first place. So its your fault.

3) Sacrifice a mechanic*

Its the only way forward.

*Darling, when it went in for its MOT, Maintenance, Oil Change, whatever, the mechanic clearly didn't tighten the battery terminal up again afterwards. However, do not concern yourself, i have fixed it and will have strong words with the mechanic.

There are two decent salesmen on this thread. I am not one of them.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - No FM2R
In fact, you are not either of them.
I ain't neiver of 'em eiver, innit.

The Slough is sometimes strong in me.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - bathtub tom
Does a Fiesta battery fit a Micra.................................................................
?
>> Does a Fiesta battery fit a Micra.................................................................
>> ?

Wasn't me gov
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - RichardW
If 3 hours of radio and a couple of starts did for the battery sufficient not to start a small petrol Fiesta then it's had it anyway.... and they're never quite the same once they've been flattened. you'll be fitting a new one soon. My 307 wouldn't start after standing for 2 weeks at Christmas, and it went rapidly down hill after that; cranks much better on a new battery, which was <£60.
>> If 3 hours of radio and a couple of starts did for the battery sufficient
>> not to start a small petrol Fiesta then it's had it anyway.... and they're never
>> quite the same once they've been flattened. you'll be fitting a new one soon. My
>> 307 wouldn't start after standing for 2 weeks at Christmas, and it went rapidly down
>> hill after that; cranks much better on a new battery, which was <£60.

Agreed, but at least I didn't admit that I broke it.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Old Navy
Do I remember you saying that battery chargers were a waste of time?
>> Do I remember you saying that battery chargers were a waste of time?

Yes. I could have jump started it. So they are still a waste of time.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - sooty123
You bought one though, you'll be buying winter tyres next ;)
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Old Navy
Having managed 50 odd years of driving without winter tyres I don't think I will rush to get winter tyres for a temperate climate. Now retired if the weather is bad I will be somewhere warm, dry, and comfortable.
>> You bought one though, you'll be buying winter tyres next ;)

I had one, I didnt buy it.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Dutchie
I'm keeping a eye on the daughters car battery.The little Fiat Panda is now 7 years old still on the original battery.

Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Robin O'Reliant
Why not tell her she left the interior light on?

With a tale that you've done the same thing yourself, understandable, could happen to anyone, etc.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Manatee
>> I'm keeping a eye on the daughters car battery.The little Fiat Panda is now 7
>> years old still on the original battery.

I think ours (sons) lasted about 7.5 :)

Watching wouldn't have done much good. One day it worked, the next day it didn't.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Manatee
The boss has endless problems with her computer, mainly because she leaves it on and it's not very good at hibernating and waking up properly. Usually it just needs a restart or the wireless dongle removing and reinserting.

If I'm feeling brave I tell her that "there was nothing wrong with it but I've fixed it".
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - Alastairw
In the office my computer is pretty much the only one that works reliably, day in, day out. Why? I turn it off every night. Everyone else just put there's to sleep each night.
 Zeros Life lesson quiz Week 1 - sooty123
I think we get told to leave them on for updates, though can't say I take too much notice, is that not the case?
Latest Forum Posts