Non-motoring > How much unpaid overtime do you do? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 19

How much unpaid overtime do you do? - VxFan

www.totallymoney.com/overtime-worth/

Here's my result.

75.5 hours extra per year.

Based on the amount of overtime I do, I will have earned my annual salary by 16th December.

This represents £1113 of lost income.
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - Runfer D'Hills
Flippin' heck, mine says I'm done by the 10th of July !

:-(((
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - sooty123
None for me i don't get overtime.
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - WillDeBeest
Well done, Sooty. Now read the question.
};---)
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - Zero
Its says I have earned nothing.
No drama, I'm here for constructive and helpful posts ;)
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - CGNorwich
Since I no longer work I guess the answer is none.

I do do around 500 hours a year of unpaid voluntary work though.
That's quite a lot, bravo cgn.
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - Bromptonaut
Not sure it works properly for me 'cos I'm part time - 16hrs week. Could be getting my leave wrong.

Usually in the office 50mins before my shift starts at 10:00 and often still there 20mins after I finish at 19:00. And I only grab a sarnie to eat at my desk in lunchbreak. Extra time mostly catching up with write ups and making sure I've got right details or each of my calls.
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - Slidingpillar
I'm now retired, but when I worked and had a car parking space, quite a lot really. Probably the biggest time user was when we first moved to an bbc.co.uk/reception web site as we were presented with something the web bunnies thought we'd just say go.

I had to fix countless spelling errors, broken or just plain wrong links and loads of other errors too. Then somebody informed me we'd need to get the site officially approved and it could take a week... So being hearing at that time, I rang the then boss of BBC online, he was still there at 1900, and by 2000 I'd got proper access on a personal basis and posted the complete site. Went home shortly after, but that issue alone must have caused me to do 16 hours.

All that stopped when the parking was taken away, 1hr 30 mins by train if you were lucky, and 2 hrs if you weren't. Driving took 45 mins to an hour usually, and my all time best was circa 30 mins between Christmas and the New Year.
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - Crankcase
181.5 hours a year, but obviously if I put the other details one's salary is disclosed, which is not the done thing, for some reason.

Also the nature of the job means that I'm pretty well always answering emails and monitoring stuff whenever I'm awake, seven days a week including all holidays, Christmas etc. I'm not asked to do that explicitly but it makes life a heck of a lot easier to catch things before they turn into real problems, as a rule.

I haven't included that time, so it's a Lot More than 180 hours I guess.
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - Duncan
It wouldn't let me put in more than 99 days holiday a year.

Bit mean, I thought!
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - R.P.
None. There's more than enough paid hours going at our place. I won't work any more than I'm paid for these days.
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - mikeyb
14th November, although my contractual hours are only 35 so its not really that bad.

Doesnt take into account my travel time though
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - Rudedog
I've come out as;

355.7 hours extra

£7703 of lost income

That's the NHS for you, I'm not allowed to claim the time back as money.
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - Focusless
With flexitime, and working from home, and working on trains, and the odd bit at home when I've got nothing better to do, I've no idea how many hours I do. Pretty sure it's more than my contracted amount though, whatever that is...
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - zippy
Some time in June for me, but wouldn't let me put in the right hours.

14 hours a day x 5 days a week. Contract is 35 hours. Everyone else does similar so not really possible not to as one just wouldn't have the output. No overtime is paid but the basic isn't bad.
You be absolutely knackered zippy, it's tiring working such hours. I remember working 85 hours plus travel time per week, I'm sure that i fell asleep a couple of times at work.
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - CGNorwich
You would think that with all this unpaid work the UK would be the most productive country I'm the world but our productivity rate is worse than France where few work beond their allotted hours.

Does work just expand to fill the time available? If a job can't be done in the proscribed time is there not a problem with either the employee or the management?
 How much unpaid overtime do you do? - zippy
>>Does work just expand to fill the time available?

Absolutely.

Where a maximum of a 3 page report was required when I started in this role it is now a minimum of 9 pages. Where research to complete the report took 5 pages of tests there are now 25.

The results are unchanged, just the detail and it is because everyone wants to cover their own backsides.
Latest Forum Posts