Non-motoring > Power tools for the real man Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 20

Power tools for the real man - WillDeBeest
Aha, gotcha!

After years of making do with a 40-year-old Kenwood Chef, I found it was incompatible with some new attachments I wanted to use and bought a new one.

In the process, I discovered quite a range of power outputs among similar-looking machines. The base Chef has 800W, the one I bought 1000W, and some go up to 1400W. All are significantly more powerful than my old one's 450W. All but the larger Major machines claim a dough capacity of 2.0kg, which I now know to be limited by bowl size, not motor power. (The old machine takes the same bowl but the motor won't move that much dough.)

The point that makes me curious is that the much more expensive (and apparently highly regarded) KitchenAid Artisan mixer has only 300W and yet is considered a direct competitor to the Chef. I've seen them used on telly by Bakeoff contestants and Nigel Slater, so I imagine they deliver the results, but that doesn't seem like enough power to me. This year the Baker-Offers had 500W Kenwood K-Mix machines, prettier than the chef but rated to only 1.3kg, which is less than my Panasonic bread machine.

So I'm pleased with my new Chef but frankly puzzled as to why anyone would pay significantly more (I paid £209) for less power and versatility. So who's got a KitchenAid and wants to speak up for it?
 Power tools for the real man - Robin O'Reliant
Anything with the word "Kitchen" in it is to be avoided.

That room is no place for a man, unless one finds oneself home alone and fancies a cup of tea.
 Power tools for the real man - Runfer D'Hills
Sorry WDB, if it doesn't have an internal combustion engine and it's not for outdoor use then it's not for men. Well, it might be all right for southerners I suppose...

Blended food is for babies and the terminally ill.

;-)
 Power tools for the real man - Ian (Cape Town)
>> Blended food is for babies and the terminally ill.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

I use my stick blender quite often.
But I suppose any culture which has brought black pudding into the world - and remember those north of the fortnum-mason line and their haggis - deserves all the scorn they get for thie cuisine.

"The Fortnum Mason Line"

Brilliant ! I'm going to steal that if that's ok?

;-)
Feel free - I nicked it from somewhere else.
 Power tools for the real man - Old Navy
Mrs ON, "I need a new bread machine".

Me, "OK use my account".

No grief, no hassle, no need to enter the kitchen.

You have enough in your account to buy a supermarket?

Wow ! Those Navy pensions must be good...

;-)
 Power tools for the real man - Old Navy
We won't starve.

We have a new bread machine. :-)
Let them eat cake.
 Power tools for the real man - MD
Off your heads the lot of you, but it is so amusing. The Fortnum Mason line........that is an all time classic. Brilliant.
 Power tools for the real man - legacylad
Well Runfer, I'm a bloke. From Yorkshire. Drink proper beer & eat midnight curries.
And I love blended food. Cheap home made fruit smoothies, and green veg smoothies. Made in my Vitamix.
Not as much fun as my pressure washer or playing with the stove, but needs must.
 Power tools for the real man - The Melting Snowman
I hope that you haven't binned the old one. The original UK built Chefs are quite sought after.
Still got the old Chef (c.1970) but we broke its original opal-glass bowl a couple of years ago, and the spindle into which the beater fits fell out when I found its dough-kneading limit.

I comprehensively broke another one a few Christmases ago. Trying to use a borrowed mincer attachment without instructions, I connected something back to front and the resulting jam cracked one of the main castings right across. That machine went to the tip, but this one is repairable.
 Power tools for the real man - No FM2R
>>So who's got a KitchenAid and wants to speak up for it?

Wife wanted it because of how it looked. Wife hates change so keeps buying them when they break or we move.

My life is easier when wife is happy. My life is very difficult if wife is not happy. Pointing out wife's favourite mixer is not the best makes wife unhappy.

So, I love KitchenAid and you can't prove I don't.
 Power tools for the real man - legacylad
I prefer the Morrison- Dixon line in West Yorks.
 Power tools for the real man - Ted
My bluvved has a Kitchen Aid after 40 yrs with a dependable old Kenwood. Loves it...but cooking is her life...not that any of the cakes trickle down to me !

I suspect our main reason was that we have a friend who's friend is a factory demonstrator and gets them cheap. I think we saved a couple of hundred on it.

I have never laid a finger on it.....nor will I in the near future
 Power tools for the real man - Zero
>> My bluvved has a Kitchen Aid after 40 yrs with a dependable old Kenwood. Loves
>> it...but cooking is her life...not that any of the cakes trickle down to me !

If they trickled I would suggest they were undercooked.
 Power tools for the real man - MD
I often think that a Goblin Teasmade would be desirable.
 Power tools for the real man - bathtub tom
>> I often think that a Goblin Teasmade would be desirable.

Had one in various guises for the past forty years. SWMBO won't get out of bed without a cuppa first and if you're woken up with the offer of a cup of tea..........................
...or indeed the offer of a Goblin.
Latest Forum Posts