Non-motoring > Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 24

Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - R.P.
Treated myself to a rather nice watch back in 2010. A Stowa Fleiger. Hand made south German automatic movement, a replica of Luftwaffe pilots' issue watches from 1939. Lovely bit of kit. Anyway, not really an everyday watch but like anything of its ilk needs an occasional outing.Last wore it back in 2010 I guess...and couldn't get it to go when I went to admire it a couple of years ago. I was looking for something in the box where I store it this morning and fished it out, and subconsciously wound it.....and was rewarded with a short but very tactile winding mechanism....and it started going, worn it all day today and obviously its run faultlessly....clearly I didn't realise it was a semi automatic....oh well. Nice watch anyway...should have read the manual.
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - Manatee
It's almost certainly an automatic, ETA 2824 or 2836 movement, wound by a moving weight. From run down, about 10 "winds" should get it started.

The Seiko 5s for example don't have the manual wind feature or the 'hack seconds' position, whereby the seconds hand stops, when you pull the crown out one notch that the ETA also has.
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - Runfer D'Hills
You need to stop with that uniforms thing, I mean I know there's not much to do where you are but...

;-)))
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - tyrednemotional
...I don't know....I reckon a 1939-style watch on Anglesey must be just about right.....
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - Zero
>> You need to stop with that uniforms thing, I mean I know there's not much
>> to do where you are but...
>>
>> ;-)))

They were always very smart tho.
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - Runfer D'Hills
I'm going to have to think about something else fairly quickly. The mental images are going into overload.

I wonder if he's got a Lt Gruber outfit too ( and a little tank ) ?

:-)))
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - rtj70
So you bought a €800+ watch in 2010. Last wore it in 2010. You must like watches a lot! :-) But I can see why we/you need to have nice things now and then. What's the point of working/earning otherwise.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 11 Apr 16 at 23:11
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - WillDeBeest
A replica of Luftwaffe pilots' issue watches from 1939.

Stowa makes some handsome watches but that association would bother me. I looked at the Kriegsmarine naval model in 2008 when I was shopping for the watch I wear now. Beautiful - white dial, blued hands, good value too - but then I found a picture of an old one, issued to an officer and with the eagle and swastika engraved on the back. Too much for me; I chose a 1950s-influenced Eberhardt instead.

It's a difficult area. Lemmy always maintained that 'the bad guys always had the best kit' but that that didn't make him one of them, and of course that was true. But I'd feel uncomfortable wearing a piece every day in situations where people who don't know me well would see it. On the other hand, Stowa operates in Germany, where they're super-sensitive about the Nazi past, so I guess the Germans must be comfortable with it.

And yes, I know the Nazis used Mercedes a lot too but they're not still making replicas of those models; I'd be less happy with my E220 estate if I'd seen one in films of the Nuremberg rallies.
}:---)
I gave that a thought.....you have me worried now...
>>I'd be less happy with my E220 estate if I'd seen one in films of the Nuremberg rallies.
>>

...half-tracks 'd be useful for the potholes, though.......
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - legacylad
And you don't need winter tyres...
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - Dog
Laco do a cheap version - my kinda watch actually. I would have bought one if I knew about 'em when I bought my cheapo Casio solar-powered radio-controlled jobbie for c67 notes quite recently. Does the job well though.

www.amazon.co.uk/Laco-1925-Automatic-Analogue (this isn't a link BTW)
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - WillDeBeest
Not a problem with the Flieger style per se. That originated in the 1920s and has evolved steadily since - Sinn makes some lovely modern interpretations. In that sense the Luftwaffe just bought and used what was available anyway (as, famously, did NASA with its Omegas); I just wouldn't be drawing attention to the things people were doing while wearing them!
My Seamaster, which is more or less daily wear apart from my much loved Seiko "Pepsi" Kinetic ($100 dollars in the US in 2008) which I use when I ride in the pretence that it's expendable. The Stowa is a paragon of clarity compared to the Seamaster. Easy on the eye and beautifully illuminated at night. I notice that Stowa cost almost double what I paid in 2010....mine came in at 610 Euros in April 2010....not cheap but nowhere near the prices nowadays !
Just checked the Stowa site and the leather straps are  €20.00....will be ordering a couple as stand by ones !
.....Nazi regalia........leather straps.....!!?

You aren't Max Mosley's bag boy are you?

(allegedly)
Hahahahahahahahahahaha... ! And a Beemer
Just fished out a Seiko 5 which I got for twenty quid or so a few years ago. This is an automatic...and again wouldn't run. There was no instruction booklet with this so there is an excuse. Changing the date actually manually winds it to boot it up. Been running all morning on my wrist - so ideal riding watch.

My other Seiko - the Kinetic - is sadly doomed. The capacitor is doomed on it. As long as I wear it and don't leave it idle for more than a few days, it's fine - otherwise if it stops it's finished :-( So I have to wear it now and again. Cost £85.00 for a refurb. Didn't pay that much for it.
>> My other Seiko - the Kinetic - is sadly doomed. The capacitor is doomed on it.

www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_3023-24X.htm
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - Slidingpillar
Wow - I didn't throw mine away when it died so maybe worth trying to resurrect it. I like the appearance and the readability but I was sadly disappointed that something I thought was good for many years died after about 5.
No idea how safe/successful the sight be. But if it was me it would be worth a try.
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - Slidingpillar
I've done business with the Small Battery Company for years. Their packaging is a bit suspect, but I've never had problems. They are the only UK supplier I know of who does the converter unit to enable the OM1 light meter to work on readily available cells rather than the obsolete mercury cell it was designed for.

Got my AVO working fully too, the 15 volt battery it needs is a bit of a rarity these days.
So after that post I left it to its own devices, occasional look showed it still ticking away to itself, still unneriingly accurate....so I wore it for 48 hours, now fully charged again. Not sure what that proves but the it doesn't want to die....
 Read the Ffffffffffflippin Manual... - Cliff Pope
>> Just fished out a Seiko
>>

Are you comfortable with something worn by the Japanese Imperial army? :)
It was new in 2008..I drive and ride a BMW, favoured by the Germans in two world wars as well !
Latest Forum Posts