Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 22

Anyone lost a drone? - Old Navy

news.sky.com/story/1680304/drone-strikes-plane-at-heathrow-airport
 Anyone lost a drone? - fluffy
A drone hit a plane today.
 Anyone lost a drone? - sooty123
Merely a matter of time.
 Anyone lost a drone? - zippy
Anyone who files a drone in to the path of an aircraft deserves to be shot!
 Anyone lost a drone? - Ian (Cape Town)
"Frankly it was only a matter of time before we had a drone strike given the huge numbers being flown around by amateurs who don't understand the risks and the rules."

either that, or dropping one into a crowded pedestrian area, sooty...
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Mon 18 Apr 16 at 00:03
 Anyone lost a drone? - R.P.
One has already hit a kit and burst its eye.
 Anyone lost a drone? - zippy
>>"Frankly it was only a matter of time before we had a drone strike given the huge numbers being flown around by amateurs who don't understand the risks and the rules."

I don't believe that. I think there is a maliciousness to it, much like the laser pointer thing. Drunken yobs (I hope) seeing how close they can get their drone to an aircraft. What would happen if the thing were sucked in to an engine on take off or landing - it could be like a bird strike - and whilst these normally result in a safe landing that may not always be the case.
Birds don't carry solid battery packs, zippy.
One of those going through a turbofan would ruin your day.
 Anyone lost a drone? - madf
Too early for drones yet in my hives so I have not lost any yet. Two months time and there will be thousands so I won't miss one or a hundred.

You are talking about bees, surely?
You must have some serious bees if they could threaten an aircraft. :-)
 Anyone lost a drone? - R.P.
Serious I supposed if its ingested into an engine or causes a distraction to crew when landing.
 Anyone lost a drone? - Bromptonaut
AAIB are investigating:

www.gov.uk/government/news/the-aaib-investigating-heathrow-event
>> Serious I supposed if its ingested into an engine or causes a distraction to crew
>> when landing.
>>
Having one come through the front windscreen at 150kts could be a game changer.
The flimsy bits will break, but the camera and battery weigh a bit, about 15oz for some of the drone batteries.
 Anyone lost a drone? - NortonES2
What sort of payload is available on hobbyist drones? Assuming for the moment that the ne'er do wells can't get access to military capability to carry high explosives?
>> What sort of payload is available on hobbyist drones? Assuming for the moment that the
>> ne'er do wells can't get access to military capability to carry high explosives?
>>
No top limit.
The technology is pretty bog-standard, and it is just a matter of adding better motors and building your own frame.

commercially available:
"The KittyHawk is 37.5 inches (95 cm) across and weighs 9.5 lb (4.3 kg) with a payload capacity of another 9.5 lb (4.3 kg) for an all-up flying weight of nearly 20 lb (9 kg). It can carry three cameras, two of which are on gimbals – one on the bottom, another gimbal on the top – and a third camera fixed looking straight ahead.

Mobile Recon Systems also has plans for an even larger quadcopter that would weight 30 lb (13 kg) and be capable of carrying a pressurized sprayer for agricultural uses, or a drop box for small cargo delivery or rescue operations.

That's some serious threat if somebody attached some explosive and/or 'dirty'/biological' substances to it.
 Anyone lost a drone? - Fullchat
How much does a small chainsaw weigh??? - Killer Drone

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Viwwetf0gU
Two different questions I think.

Anybody can but a drone from Maplin. Starting price is around £30 and for a bit over £100 you get giro stabilisation and ten minutes endurance. Could be used to buzz airliners for 'fun' or to try and get air to air shots. Mostly plastic but with motor and LiOn battery. How much damage if one of those went through an engine? Could the battery, particularly from one of the bigger models, lead to component damage so severe that the debris was not contained in the engine?

As Ian says, there is a risk of terrorists using one or more to deliberately down an aircraft. Cost is not an issue and either professional kit designed for air/ground filming or build your own is possible. How do you stop that?
Away from the terrorism aspect, a friend of mine is involved with the things, and films various commercials and sporting events professionally.
Great for inner-city footage of memorials, churches and other attractions to give a bit of 'colour' to broadcasts.
Also does the 'down the fairway' stuff which we see on coverage of golf tournaments.
Can do much better stuff than a standard chopper, at a fraction of the price.
BUT he's had one going haywire once while filming a golf course near the US Embassy here - apparently they have some serious microwave link stuff broadcasting line-of-sight between their facility and a local military base. Drone flies through it, and plummets.
As I wrote above, all it is going to take is some bloke flying one along, say, a crowded beach, and it goes out of control.
Nasty for sunbathing types and sandcastle builders.
Now seems it was probably not a drone at all:

www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/28/heathrow-ba-plane-strike-not-a-drone-incident
Don't aircraft have dashcams? :-)
 Anyone lost a drone? - NortonES2
No, they'd only start to get provocative:) Barrel rolls etc...
 Anyone lost a drone? - legacylad
Tailgating, arguments over boarding gates
 Anyone lost a drone? - Rudedog
Last I heard they thought it was either a plastic bag or an empty pizza box!
Latest Forum Posts