Non-motoring > Relative in coma. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ted Replies: 7

Relative in coma. - Ted

My SiL's mother collapsed last week and has been in a coma ever since. She was flown from her home in Pwllheli to Liverpool in a helicopter. She's been diagnosed with a brain aneurism so things don't look too good atm

Nobody has power of attorney so they are worried about what to do with her affairs in the short term. My only experience is with my MiL but we had PoW and we had been dealing with her affairs for some years, informally, as she used to hide mail under the cushions and subscribe to every charity demand she saw. I have suggested that the first thing to do is to search her house for paperwork which may give an idea of anything that needs paying or payments which are by direct debit. Finding a will naming executors may be of some use. I'm not sure that the bank or utilities will talk to the relatives...data protection, etc.

Anyone had a similar situation or can give me any ideas to pass on ? The web just seems to say you need Power of Attorney to do anything.
 Relative in coma. - R.P.
Has she got any relatives in Pwllheli ? I am in regular contact with the CAB Manager there...I can pass their details on.
 Relative in coma. - R.P.
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/relationships/looking-after-people/managing-affairs-for-someone-else/

Will give you a plain English guide.
 Relative in coma. - CGNorwich
If there is no powere of attorney an application will need to be made to the Court of Protction.

www.gov.uk/courts-tribunals/court-of-protection
 Relative in coma. - Falkirk Bairn
I would not shoot off and try and arrange anything in the immediate term.

Take medical advice on the outlook in a few days/ a weeks time.

It might be that the patient comes around and can be let you know what needs attention.

Chances are is that there is no immediate problems that cannot be addressed by either paying the bill or telling the Gas/Electricity company etc the person is in hospital.
 Relative in coma. - Ted

Thanks all. My own thoughts were the same as FB...see what happens. I don't think there's a lot of hope for her though.

A daughter does live nearby so she can call in at the local CAB herself. I've told SiL that, without knowing her financial and other circumstances, it's very hard to make any sensible suggestions. I'm inclined to call my involvement finished.
 Relative in coma. - CGNorwich
Probably best. A friend of mine was in a coma for twelve weeks after a brain operation. Sadly he eventually died but his wife had all sorts of financial problems in that period as he had not granted power of attorney and this was later compounded by the fact that he died intestate.

A lesson perhaps to get our affairs in order, not for ourselves but for those who survive or may have to look after us.
 Relative in coma. - Ambo
>>get our affairs in order

Indeed. I have been trying to do this recently. My "Die Tidy" missive has taken 4000 words so far and I have been surprised at how very complicated ones affairs can seem when adopting another person's view of them.
Latest Forum Posts