Non-motoring > Snow. In Surrey. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: NortonES2 Replies: 18

Snow. In Surrey. - NortonES2
Zero needs to be recalled. "Play was suspended at Edgbaston, the Hampshire Ageas Bowl and Surrey County Cricket Club as snow flurries arrived at lunchtime." He may however be snow blind:)
 Snow. In Surrey. - Focusless
Yeah, had some in Reading earlier this afternoon, which I thought was fitting given the Christmas pressie thread in Motoring.
 Snow. In Surrey. - Armel Coussine
We had a downpour of haily sleety stuff for about half an hour. The little white spheres covered the ground thinly. They soon melted.

April is the cruellest month according to some poetical chap whose name I am proud to forget.
 Snow. In Surrey. - Bromptonaut
Driving into town for a meeting at 13:30. Went through a snow/hail squall for about five minutes. Ten minutes later when I'd parked it was briht sunshine.

Still bloomin cold though.
>> haily sleety stuff for about half an hour. The little white spheres covered the ground thinly. They soon melted.

North wind of course, very parky.

I peer at the weather maps on late night TV. They aren't too misleading but a bit small down in our corner. They're surprisingly informative considering.
 Snow. In Surrey. - CGNorwich
Could never get much beyond that first line. Chaucer is better on Aprill shoures.
>> Chaucer is better on Aprill shoures.

Oh stop it CGN...

'Whan that aprille with his shoures swoote

The droghte of marche hathe perced to the roote

And Zephirus eke, with his sweete breath

Inspired hath in every holt and heath

The tendre croppes; and the yonge sonne

Hath in the Ram his halfe-cours y-ronne,

And smale foules maken melodye

(So priketh hem natur in hir corages):

Then longen folk to goon on pilgrimages

And specially, from every Shire's ende

Of Engelond, to Canterbury they wende...

Remembered those imperfect extracts from A Level.

Hath in the Ram his halfe-cours y-ronne... (etc etc)
 Snow. In Surrey. - Haywain
"Could never get much beyond that first line. Chaucer is better on Aprill shoures."

The only bit of Chaucer that I can remember is from the Nun's Priest's Tale when Chaunticleer praises Pertelote with “Mulier est hominis confusio”, translating it as “Woman is man’s joy and all his bliss”, when it actually translates “Woman is man’s ruin”.

I frequently mutter it to Mrs H.
>> April is the cruellest month according to some poetical chap whose name I am proud to forget.

Herself reminds me that it is T S Eliot. I knew really but the name escaped me as they so often do.

That Ezra Pound though... now you're talking.
 Snow. In Surrey. - Ted

Snow/sleet/hail in Sarf Manchester this afto. Was going to change the pads and discs on the Vitara today....glad I didn't start. See what tomorrow brings.
 Snow. In Surrey. - CGNorwich
It's the first line of "The Waste Land". The first line is as far as I ever got.

Ezra Pound become rather unfashionable because of his political,views didn't he.?
 Snow. In Surrey. - Old Navy
Are the supplies of winter tyres holding up, there must be panic buying by now. :-)
 Snow. In Surrey. - Dog
I'm still wearing my Vredestein wintrac xtremes!!
Bin out over the tops as LL would say - biting wind, more like Feb than April. No white stuff about down here.
I even sat out in the sun for a while 'til it was obscured by clouds (Pink Floyd)
 Snow. In Surrey. - BobbyG
Just experienced my seventh (I think) fall of snow since I got rid of my 4WD car 3 months ago
Has the lack of a 4x4 stopped you from getting to where you wanted to be in the three months?

My guess is no.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 26 Apr 16 at 20:47
 Snow. In Surrey. - Runfer D'Hills
Been to Somerset today, snow there and in the Midlands coming back and sleety stuff back here in Cheshire.

Whole trip in a RWD Merc with summer tyres too.

Should I be dead?

;-))
You will be fine, you live north of the M4 and were trained up here. :-)
 Snow. In Surrey. - henry k
www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/36141843

Snow at the Oval
 Snow. In Surrey. - Ambo
Armel-type precipitation in Poole yesterday, practically on the Equator.

Latest Forum Posts