Non-motoring > Fire! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 17

Fire! - zippy
Well, luckily not too bad but I got home this evening to the girlfriend airing out the house after a plastic washing basket and duvet cover (eiderdown to the older forum members :0) smoking away in the back garden, having been placed and left on a hot ceramic hob.

The hob is covered in plastic and my new dishwasher has a burn mark through the paint where plastic spilt on it - gives an idea of the temperature!

The fire happened about half an hour before I got home and I was surprised to see the plastic was still smouldering so I doused it liberally from the garden hose and the amount of steam was quite something.

I am off to change the smoke alarms tomorrow - all fully working and tested - not one of them went off and at one point the GF says the house was full of smoke!

Very glad everyone is safe - even the youngest - a typical teenager who came down stairs about five minutes ago with headphones around his neck saying "what happened - the house smells a bit smoky!!"

Of a mind to suggest that in future in such an incident she leaves the house with the kids and calls the Fire Brigade - smoke can kill and it is difficult to judge how dangerous a fire is.

Safety drills at work make it clear to only tackle a fire if it is safe to do so. The first rule is to exit the building as safely and as quickly as possible!
 Fire! - No FM2R
Not really getting the Computer connection, but glad it all worked out ok.

Suspect GF may be in need of large G&T!!

Bit worryi g about the smoke detectors. A bit of investogation required I think. Maybe they need moving as well as replacing?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 5 May 16 at 20:46
 Fire! - VxFan
>> Not really getting the Computer connection,

Nor am I.

-----> kicks across to non motoring section
 Fire! - Manatee
There are different types of smoke alarm - ionisation and optical being the main alternatives.

More here.

www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/smoke-alarms

Very glad no one was hurt, of course.
Last edited by: Manatee on Thu 5 May 16 at 23:47
 Fire! - Duncan
>> and duvet cover (eiderdown to the older>> forum members :0)

I am - I think - one of the older members of the forum and I can tell you that a duvet cover is not an eiderdown!
 Fire! - Cliff Pope
>> a plastic washing basket and duvet cover smoking away in the back garden, having been placed and left on
>> a hot ceramic hob.
>>

Why?

Fire! - Dutchie
That is one of the reasons I don't like electric hobs or electric cooker.

I don't find them safe for children.Placing a washing basket on a hot hob is a no.

We have three smoke alarms in our house.Kitchen Living room and upstairs in the landing.I check them regularly but accidents can happen.
 Fire! - zippy
>> >> a plastic washing basket and duvet cover smoking away in the back garden, having
>> been placed and left on
>> >> a hot ceramic hob.
>>
>> Why?

I guess she was having a dizzy moment!
 Fire! - R.P.
Heat Sensor and alarm in our kitchen - A smoke alarm would go off every time I cooked the tea ! Hope everyone is OK Zippy. A plan is a damned good day. The Springer was trained as a pupster to run out if the Smoke alarm goes off....!
 Fire! - mikeyb
Our smoke alarms are very sensitive. The are the mains type so if one goes off they both do.

The slightest hint of smoke from the kitchen and off they go.....
 Fire! - Runfer D'Hills
My wife tests the smoke alarms most evenings. Usually immediately before dinner.
 Fire! - Dutchie
Safety first Runfer one never knows what can happen during dinner.
 Fire! - Skip
>> My wife tests the smoke alarms most evenings. Usually immediately before dinner.
>>

She is probably using them as a timer !
 Fire! - MD
>> >> My wife tests the smoke alarms most evenings. Usually immediately before dinner.
>> >>
>>
>> She is probably using them as a timer !
>>
BRILLIANT.
 Fire! - bathtub tom
I reckon my old mother-in-law used to time boiled eggs with the fag in her mouth. When the ash fell off into the water, it was done.
 Fire! - Roger.
Our school cook, Miss Rabson, used to rule the kitchen and prepare food while a fag dangled from her mouth, leaving a nicotine stain between her mouth and her nose.
She made lumpy porridge and burnt the breakfast sausages, too:-)
 Fire! - Dutchie
Our away from home school for me and my brother breakfast used to be two slices of bread with brown sugar on it.The sugar was usually damp because the sandwiches where made the previous evening.

Unfortenately I sat next to the head mistress and she got bread with two lovely fried eggs on it.

The evil B enjoyed her eggs with me next to her slavering at the mouth.True story.
 Fire! - Falkirk Bairn
M-i-L set my house on fire - 17th March 1978 - date engraved on my memory..

One son in hospital so swmbo was visiting him. The 12 month old twins were left with the MiL who was told just to watch the 2 children - they were not mobile so very manageable.

She decided to prepare the evening meal...minister came to the door, MiL forgot what she was doing & the kitchen went up in flames.

So if I was ever asked how I got on with the MiL i could honestly reply "Just like a house on fire"
Latest Forum Posts