Non-motoring > The problems with modern day risk aversion Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 6

The problems with modern day risk aversion - Westpig
This is a good article:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/30/high-flying-oxford-graduate-quits-the-met-over-a-lack-of-support/

This could also be applied to the NHS, fire service, military etc.

The people at the coal face feel abandoned when something goes wrong, because the systems in place are overly intrusive / burdensome and everyone else is off covering their backsides.

We haven't got the balance right between necessary scrutiny and leaving enough leeway for people to do their jobs fully, (inc the odd honest mistake)....

... and as for staffing levels............
 The problems with modern day risk aversion - No FM2R
I agree with your point but I don't think that is a good article.

Despite the implications, the officer had already decided to leave before the incident. Also he comes across as someone who tends not to stick at stuff and who found life as a policeman a bit too "real".

Although, as I said, I do agree with your main point.
>> Despite the implications, the officer had already decided to leave before the incident. Also he
>> comes across as someone who tends not to stick at stuff and who found life
>> as a policeman a bit too "real".

I can see what you are saying... however, I saw it as someone who was successful elsewhere first, who liked the thought of that role, decided to put his money where his mouth was and do the job himself, but is exceptionally disillusioned with the reality.
 The problems with modern day risk aversion - Fullchat
I thought the article captured the current state of Policing well and 100% agree with his sentiments. Clearly an articulate and educated man who has not found his niche in front line Policing. I also noted that he had not stuck at several careers for any length of time but why hang about and he is not afraid to move on rather than make do with his lot.
All credit to him that he wishes to continue as a Special Constable and try and make a difference in his own way. I wish him every success.
Should be an Advisor to the Home Secretary :)
>> Should be an Advisor to the Home Secretary :)
>>

That would necessitate her actually listening.
 The problems with modern day risk aversion - Slidingpillar
That would necessitate her actually listening.

In politicians, to hear without listening, to see without observing and and to be able to speak duckspeak* is generally a good thing. In anyone else, it would be a bad thing (an ungood thing).

*Duckspeak, to speak without thinking. An ungood thing in most things but an asset in politicians - see newspeak for more.
 The problems with modern day risk aversion - Fullchat
'That would necessitate her actually listening.'

Good point. Well made :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Mon 30 May 16 at 15:55
Latest Forum Posts