Non-motoring > Homes under the Sledgehammer - final moments Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 11

Homes under the Sledgehammer - final moments - Falkirk Bairn
Lewisham home collapses - all internal walls demolished to do up the house BUT the 100 year old home just crumbled for the lack of supports & ties.

preview.tinyurl.com/h6nj4wu
[Open in new window]
 Homes under the Sledgehammer - final moments - devonite
If I had paid £700.000 for that I'd have fallen down as well! - had to chuckle at the caption under the 'photo of the two men in the Cherry-picker tho':
"Workmen could be seen today making repairs to the wall and roof, by replacing bricks" ;-)
 Homes under the Sledgehammer - final moments - smokie
I read that yesterday and assumed they were having a basement installed, as is the way in certain areas of London. But that isn't mentioned so maybe not.
 Homes under the Sledgehammer - final moments - Alanovich
An alternative link with a lower house value quoted, for those of an non-Daily Fail inclination:

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36483163

;-)
 Homes under the Sledgehammer - final moments - Duncan
>> Lewisham home collapses - all internal walls demolished to do up the house BUT the
>> 100 year old home just crumbled for the lack of supports & ties.
>>
>> preview.tinyurl.com/h6nj4wu

The BUT should be either AND or OF COURSE.

Grumpy Corner.

For grown-ups, could we have a tiny.url that take us straight to the site instead of treating us like children?

Yes, yes, I know, but it irritates me.
Most grown ups of my acquaintance would rather not click on a Daily Wail link, Duncarooney.

So thanks to the OP for assisting us in avoiding such a terrible injustice.
 Homes under the Sledgehammer - final moments - Focusless
"(DM)" after a direct link should suit both camps.
Not unreasonable, as ever, Fl.

However, the OP's redirect here allowed a glimpse of the headline without going on the Newspaper Website Which Shall Not Be Named. And when I spotted a similar tale on the BBC site, I knew it must be the one to which this thread pertained.

Yes, it's a silly roundabout fuss over not much really, bit then I do run a 2003 SAAB in order to avoid having a car with a cambelt.

;-)
>> However, the OP's redirect here allowed a glimpse of the headline

Ah right - I see what you mean.

Of course what FB should have done was:
tinyurl.com/dm-collapsed-building-story

:)
Interesting comment on one website:

Why do you think this happened? Cheaper and quicker to knock half the house down and rebuild it with the extension than follow the proper process and risk not getting planning at all.

Have a look at how many houses (often listed) in Kensington, Fulham, Barnes and Richmond "collapse" at the start of renovations, while no one is inside and then appear twice as big once "repairs" are finished. Coincidence of course, no one would do that on purpose.
 Homes under the Sledgehammer - final moments - rtj70
In California, it is known for people to buy a house/land and then want to replace the house. But they'd not get planning permission.... so they knock down a wall and replace it (wall now part of the house), then another wall is replaced... until they have rebuilt it one wall at a time. It is allowed apparently because each wall is only altering the existing building. Except at the end the original building does not exist!
 Homes under the Sledgehammer - final moments - Mapmaker
I should imagine and hope there will be a H&S prosecution to follow.
Latest Forum Posts