Non-motoring > Should I worry Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Mike Hannon Replies: 6

Should I worry - Mike Hannon
I've received a letter from a UK credit card company with which I have an account, although it has not been used for years. I think you can guess the subject. The name of the firm was on the envelope, which had been neatly slit (looks like a razor blade job) down both sides. There was no card in it or pin number of course but the enclosed letter (still there) contained the last four numbers of the card I used to use.
Apart from being saddened by what I bet happened in the UK and not in France, should I be concerned about things like fraud or identity theft? We had an internet bank fraud some years ago so I am a bit paranoid about that sort of thing.
 Should I worry - devonite
Just to be on the safe side, I would get that card cancelled and apply for a new one. (speaking from experience! ;-( )
 Should I worry - Falkirk Bairn
Phone the CC Company right away and report the tampering with the envelope & the fact that the card is missing.

My son had £5,000 taken from a Virgin Current Account & a few weeks later someone was wanting to have £3,000 authorised for a motorcycle sale in London.

He lives in Aberdeen & was contracting in Norwich area for 12 months

2 separate events - Current Account was Eastern Europe, Credit Card was Asian - he is sure this was linked back to the 4* hotel in Norwich which is staffed by many from Eastern Europe.

He got his £5K back in a few days & new Credit cards in 10 days - problem solved.
 Should I worry - rtj70
>> fact that the card is missing.

He never said that. He said there was no card or PIN because this was a letter. And only shows the last 4 digits of the credit card.
 Should I worry - Ted
Seems the latest wheeze is for crims to stick an external letterbox, like continental ones, by you front door during the night. They tape over the original door letter box and write 'faulty' on the tape.

They can then harvest the mail from all the houses they've done over.

Some interesting scams out there, we oldies have to keep our wits about us ! I've long since gone paperless on banking and cards.
Last edited by: Ted on Fri 10 Jun 16 at 11:59
 Should I worry - smokie
My post doesn't seem to be getting here much before 4pm since recently so the overnight thing wouldn't harvest a lot here!! It moved from about 10.
 Should I worry - bathtub tom
>> I've long since gone paperless on banking and cards.

I tried that and then my motherboard went down and it took a few weeks to source a new PC. I don't have a laptop, tablet or smartphone and I can function well otherwise without a PC.
Latest Forum Posts