Non-motoring > As Seen on TV - Volume 14   [Read only] Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 101

As Seen on TV - Volume 14 - VxFan

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 15 *****

==============================================================

A place to discuss what's on TV that might be of interest to others. (exc. Top Gear, F1, for example - which have threads of their own)

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4
Volume 5
Volume 6
Volume 7
Volume 8
Volume 9
Volume 10
Volume 11
Volume 12
Volume 13

PLEASE NOTE:-

To try and maintain some kind of logical order of discussion, if you start a new subject then reply to this post and remember to change the default subject header.

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Apr 17 at 10:11

Person of Interest - No FM2R
Anybody else been watching this?

I've loved it from day one, although it did lose it a bit in the middle. I have no idea where the UK is up to, but I just watched the final episode.

This episode, in fact the last 4 episodes, has been utterly utterly brilliant. Season 5 has generally been very good despite being only 13 episodes.

Well worth watching. If it'd been this high quality all the way along it would never have ended. Not without its flaws, of course, but still much better than these things are normally done.

Person of Interest - rtj70
I have watched this - I think I missed the start of series 5 so need to catch up. I think it was on channel 5 in the UK.

I liked the series (1-4 so far).

You really need to watch Season 5 in order. So don't be watching the newer ones until you've seen the first ones.

Person of Interest - Robin O'Reliant
Not heard of it. Is it some sort of "Big Brother" show?

I put a link and then deleted, spoliers

There is an article on Wikipedia about it, but it contains the details of the last episode, so don't read it.

I will try and find a non spoiler link.

Try this;

www.imdb.com/title/tt1839578/
Last edited by: No FM2R on Wed 22 Jun 16 at 15:01

Person of Interest - legacylad
Not watched it for a few years... So have no dea what series I got up to, or how many episodes per series.
I watch very little to during the summer months, but will make a mental note
Thanks for reminding me... But I need to watch B Bad all over again this winter as my first priority

Person of Interest - WillDeBeest
I haven't got to the end of that yet. P of I is on my list.

I started watching it because I quite like the 1 hour (I know, loads less because of adverts) US TV shows. In the beginning it was pleasantly interesting and a bit different.

It actually turned out to be very interesting and very different. Thought provoking at times. As i said, not without its faults and a bit up and down in places, but overall great.

Since its end was planned, rather than just suddenly stopping at non-renewal, there was no anti climax.

Of course, you need to like this sort of stuff in the first place, which I do. So watch the first few of Season 1, if that works for you then you'll love the rest.

Person of Interest - sooty123
What channel is this on?

Person of Interest - Dutchie
We have watched the series regulary.I don't know what channel they are on or are they repeats.

Very good and entertaining to watch.

Into Scandinavion series now on Netflix.Watched the Bridge very good.Now the killing 2nd series.

>> Into Scandinavion series now on Netflix.Watched the Bridge very good.Now the killing 2nd series.

Borgen also very good.

>>.I don't know what channel they are on

As it happens I just this moment saw Person of Interest come on 5USA. But its quite a way through the series, probably not a good place to start.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 23 Jun 16 at 15:04

As it happens I just this moment saw Person of Interest come on 5USA. But
>> its quite a way through the series, probably not a good place to start.
>>

Cheers, think we can get that channel, I'll have a look and try and find somewhere to start watching it.

>> What channel is this on?

You'll need to watch online or get the DVDs to start at season 1. And you do need to start at the beginning.

Person of Interest - legacylad
Are you talking about P of I? I thought they were individual episodes.
Whilst in the States I began watching Lillehammer , a dark Scandinavian series about a relocated Mafiosa, but never followed it up once back home. I also began watching an Icelandic cop series, might have been called ' trapped'? But again, real life took a hold and it fell by the wayside.

>>Are you talking about P of I? I thought they were individual episodes.

Well, there is like the "incident of the week" which starts and finishes, but running through it all is a central story which takes many programs to understand although it does eventually get resolved.

I see more pointless, artificial and anal thread organisation has taken place. A finer example of a rule and behaviour remaining long after the need has departed you're unlikely to see.

Person of Interest - VxFan
>> I see more pointless, artificial and anal thread organisation has taken place.

I see more pointless, artificial and anal comments from an ex moderator who still thinks he can dictate how this site is moderated, despite quitting his role over 10 years ago.

It's Déjà bleedin vu all over again ;)

I have no interest in dictating, I see no reason not to comment. You do rather obsess about the ex-mod thing, don't you. You should let it go amd move on. I let you remain so why the resentment?

Person of Interest - VxFan
>> I have no interest in dictating, I see no reason not to comment.

Pretty much boils down to the same thing.

Resentment, no.

You let me remain - oh how kind of you. Someone must have forgot to inform me that you were still in charge after you had left.

>> >> What channel is this on?
>>
>> You'll need to watch online or get the DVDs to start at season 1. And
>> you do need to start at the beginning.
>>

What website is it on, amazon prime?

Sorry, not to go on, but I watched Episode 1 Season 1 just now. You really do need to start with that because its one of those programs that builds on itself.

I suspect that is why it finished at Season 5; it became too complex and complicated for new viewers to easily grasp and so had difficulty gaining new viewers.

Caught the last 15 mins of one of the shows. Didn't look all that great tbh, but it's probably one of those shows that grows in you.
Might be on a box set on now tv, got a few shows on the go at the moment anyway.

Who knows, its very difficult to predict what will catch your own imagination, never mind that of someone else.

Out of interest, what else are you watching? I'm always interested in recommendations, especially for UK TV shows. Its fairly easy for me to get anything I want, but its quite difficult to find out what I want, if you see what I mean.

I've just finished both series of the tunnel. And I'm watching the second series of gomorrah although that's Italian, it's very good. It's about the mafia in napoli. Watching a series on sky atlantic called legends, it's a bit like the Bourne series of films. Sean bean is the main actor in it.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Thu 23 Jun 16 at 18:57

"Legends" looks interesting, I'll give that a go. Thanks.

Watched four episodes of season 5.... I've watched all of the others so I'll finish this. Thanks for me reminding me about it. It was on my list but I had other things to catch up on first.

The tunnel - sooty123
Anyone watch the tunnel, there's 2 series both on sky. The first one is better than the second one but both are pretty good. i believe that they are based on the bridge. The two main detectives are like chalk and cheese characters perhaps a little too much so, but there's plenty of twists and turns.

The tunnel - CGNorwich
I rather enjoy "Versailles". It's a sort of garden makeover show but with torture, espionage, wet-look camisoles, slavering wolves, adultery, self-flagellation, and incest thrown in for those not interested in topiary

Recommended
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Thu 23 Jun 16 at 19:33

The tunnel - No FM2R
Jesus! I am *so* looking that one up!!

I hope its more Charlie Dimmock than Alan Titchmarsh.

The tunnel - Runfer D'Hills
I have to watch tv standing up. Fall asleep in minutes if I try to do it sitting. Nothing new, been like it as long as I can remember. Same with drinking alcohol, fast asleep in no time if I do that sitting down.

The tunnel - No FM2R
>>Same with drinking alcohol, fast asleep in no time if I do that sitting down.

Don't drink while you're driving then, that might not be good.

The tunnel - Runfer D'Hills
Or watching tv.

The tunnel - sooty123
>> I have to watch tv standing up.

an unconventional way to save money on furniture, but then I suppose you are Scottish

;-))

The tunnel - rtj70
>> Anyone watch the tunnel, there's 2 series both on sky

First series of the tunnel based on the first series of the Bridge. So didn't watch s1 of the tunnel. Series 2 was nothing to do with s1 or s2 of the Bridge. It was okay but... The Bridge was better.

Main female lead in the Bridge had Asperger's or something. She played the role well. UK actress for Sky should not have tried to recreate the character.

Glastonbury - Runfer D'Hills
Well, Adele was way better than Kanye West, but maybe not on her best form. Enjoyed it though.

Caught a snippet of an obscure ( well obscure to me anyway ) band from Alabama I think, called St Paul and the Broken Bones. I want to hear more from them.

Glastonbury - MJM
Yes, they were quite enjoyable, Runfer. I think they are on the point of releasing a CD. Missed Adele, thank goodness. They say she has a great voice but to me her voice just grates.

Glastonbury - Runfer D'Hills
Coldplay are quite good...

Glastonbury - R.P.
ELO...

Glastonbury - Fullchat
Awesome performance from Coldplay!

Glastonbury - smokie
I just got round to looking at some of their stuff (that's St Paul and the Broken Bones) on YouTube Humph. I like 'em, funky bluesy soul, really good. Thanks for the heads up.
Last edited by: smokie on Wed 13 Jul 16 at 13:14

Trainspotting Live - Dog
1st one to spot Zero will get a crisp virtual €5 note winging its way from Sunni Cornwall.

www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/d8jh7k/trainspotting-live--series-1-episode-1

BBC4 Porton Down - sherlock47
An interesting program this evening - not sure that it revealed much new information about the activities or history, but still a worthwhile watch whenthere was nothing else on all evening. Worth an Iplayer watch.

Look out for the Ebola tests towards the end of the program - an aerosol of Ebola being pumped thro a ' sow' . The plastic pipe seems to be a loose push on fit with a cable tie not performing any useful purpose.

H&S eat your heart out. Stick to refusing the service of coffee without a lid.

BBC4 Porton Down - Dog
Erm, I was going to watch said program last night, but didn't so caught up wivvit on the iplayer this morning while I was eating me egg-on-toast :)

I knew about the Bosch using mustard gas in WW1 so the prog led me on to read more about: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_warfare

BBC4 Porton Down - Roger.

>> I knew about the Bosch using mustard gas in WW1 so the prog led me
>> on to read more about: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_warfare
>>

Bosch white goods are crap, too, [Snigger] :-)

BBC4 Porton Down - helicopter
The spelling of the word is Boche...derogatory WW1 slang for Germans derived from Caboche meaning a cabbage head.

BBC4 Porton Down - Dog
www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question67771.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terms_used_for_Germans#Boche_.28pejorative.29

Man in the High Castle. - R.P.
Season 2 now on Amazon. Brilliantly made

Man in the High Castle. - Manatee
I hope Season 1 is still there, I haven't finished it yet.

Yes it is.

Man in the High Castle. - rtj70
Of course it is. They spent a lot of money making it so it will be there to attract people to subscribe to a Prime membership.

I took out the Prime membership when it was at a reduced price because I wanted to (legally) watch Man in a High Castle and I'd be able to watch the Grand Tour. And I must admit I've bought quite a bit and benefited from the free (usually next day) delivery on many items.

Same here really

Man in the High Castle. - mikeyb
Martin Lewis wrote an interesting article about Amazon and The Grand Tour - his view was that Amazon saw the trio as a marketing tool to bring people into prime subscriptions, and subsequently buy stuff rather than a show in its own right

Man in the High Castle. - zippy
>> Martin Lewis wrote an interesting article about Amazon and The Grand Tour - his view
>> was that Amazon saw the trio as a marketing tool to bring people into prime
>> subscriptions, and subsequently buy stuff rather than a show in its own right
>>

That is no surprise really. They are a shop with a huge spare capacity in computer storage which they use to stream movies.

Even Companies House uses there web capacity for their web services.

>> They are a shop with a huge spare capacity in computer storage which they use to stream movies.

Amazon Web Services is a huge cloud computing server which Bezos has invested significant amounts of money in. Ever wonder why Amazon rarely made profits? This is one example of where the money went.

AWS will be one of Bezos businesses that makes him very successful and powerful long term.

The original shop side (which don't forget started with books) is a user of this global computing platform.

It's hard to pin down the number of data centres they have. They prefer to talk about availability zones and they have 42 of those at the moment.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 23 Dec 16 at 23:43

Netflix is an Amazon Web Services customer. But the content you actually stream is cached locally in country on media servers they do not own/control (neither do Amazon). I wonder if Amazon video does similar.

Finished all ten episodes the other night. Brilliant series - well played Amazon.

Man in the High Castle. - Roger.
Man in the High Castle - was this an adaption of the eponymous SF novel by Philip K Dick?

The first season was - but there were quite big differences between the book and series.

Read the book years and years ago so I only vaguely remember the plot. The TV series was a tour-de-force of production values,casting, scripting- rarely have I seen the last episode of a series and "grieved" for it, a feeling restricted to books for me. Kept you guessing to the very last scene.

>> Kept you guessing to the very last scene.

And the last scene of the first season had be thinking something different to how things pan out for season two. Not giving anything away.

Just dug the book out...next read lined up

I've never read the book but know the stories are different from reading articles on the Internet.

Ethel and Ernest - zippy
Just watched this on the BBC (so should be available for download).

Not the most exciting thing ever but a nicely animated story of Raymond Briggs' (of The Snowman fame) parents' life from the 1930s to the 1970s.

Well worth watching if you have a spare 90 minutes or so.

Ethel and Ernest - Dog
The ole woman watched it while I was on this thing = very good, she said.

I remember watching his "when the wind blows" = very sad.

Ethel and Ernest - R.P.
Didn't Raymond Briggs do the "When the Wind Blows" thing. Far better than the Snowman stuff.

Ethel and Ernest - Dog
Yep: www.radiotimes.com/film/fb8nxr/ethel--ernest

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_the_Wind_Blows

Sword Musket Machine Gun. Britain's Armed History - Ian (Cape Town)
Saw the first one last night.
Really jolly good, and very educational.

Sword Musket Machine Gun. Britain's Armed History - R.P.
Meant to mention it. Very good

Peter Pan goes wrong - bathtub tom
Recorded this over Christmas and finally got round to watching it last night.

Funniest thing I've seen in years, we were laughing our heads off.

I've seen The Play That Goes Wrong, but I reckon this tops it.

Peter Pan goes wrong - helicopter
Saw it at the theatre in November with SWMBO and son for his birthday so was slightly disapponted with the TV version which missed some of the biggest laughs.

The crew were having trouble with the electrics at the start and asked the audience to help by passng a huge cable over their heads from stage to rear of auditorium....

The son John (with the headphones) was played beautifully by a tall gangly coloured guy....got a huge laugh when he was introduced.

A kid in the front row was asked by Hook to open the poison bottle because he was having problems using his hook to get the top off...so when later the question was asked ' who poisoned Tinkerbelle ' the whole cast turned accusingly pointing to the youngster...

Did anyone listen to the 'Christmas broadcast that goes wrong' by the same cast on Radio 2 Christmas Day ?? ...also very funny.

Netflix series - Designated Survivor - smokie
I usually wouldn't watch American series but the above is quite entertaining and has some serious parallels with what is happening out there now in places. Each episode is only 40 mins and there are 10, although I believe there will be a new series soon. It does, however, have this awful inappropriate music wafting around in the semi-background a lot of the time. Netflix only. I think it first aired last autumn.

Netflix series - Designated Survivor - rtj70
I quite enjoyed that series - certainly some parallels. No doubt you can find it for free on Kodi. Easier to watch across devices on Netflix I found.

I quite like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video's ability to pick up where you're watching on another device. Start watching say the Grand Tour in the gym and finish off on the FireTV stick.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 1 Feb 17 at 23:07

Netflix series - Designated Survivor - R.P.
I've watched the first six episodes - I keep seeing Jack Bauer in Sutherland's rather turgid acting. I keep meaning to catch up with it...

I do also get the feeling as time goes by that they had a brainstorm to come up with as many disasters and storylines as they could, and they are gradually being ticked off as we move thorough the episodes. Still entertaining though. Such that we watched the first five in one sitting.

Hmmm, just finished the last episode of series 1. Disappointing ending, too many loose ends, obviously left so they can have the new series in March.

On the whole I enjoyed it though.

Witless - R.P.
On BBC3 - Box setted two seasons the other evening. Only available via iPlayer. Brilliantly written, acted with a sinister twist.

BAFTA. - Roger.
Wall to wall BAFTA coverage on the Beeb this am. (Plus more to come later today).
Self absorbed luvvies patting each other on the back, just to boost fragile egos and for doing a well remunerated job.
Bah humbug.

BAFTA. - sooty123
You can always switch off you know. :)

BAFTA. - Roger.
>> You can always switch off you know. :)
>>
I have a Welsh wife: 'nuff said!

BAFTA. - sooty123
Welsh wives watch lots of BBC?

BAFTA. - R.P.
BAFTA is much of muchness across the home countries shirley...

BAFTA. - sooty123
No idea, but Roger's post was a bit too cryptic for me!

BAFTA. - BrianByPass
>> No idea, but Roger's post was a bit too cryptic for me!
>>

I think he may have taken your "switch off" comment to be in reply to his comment about the Wales v England Rugby game.
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Sun 12 Feb 17 at 14:24
 BAFTA. - sooty123
Ah now i see :)

BAFTA. - Roger.
Yes - I did!
It's tense in the Roger hovel when it's the Welsh V the English at Rugby Union Football. (The only sport I follow).
I guess it's similar in our daughter's hose as she is English and her spouse is Welsh, albeit Pembrokeshire Welsh, which to some Taffies is hardly Welsh at all!

BAFTA. - Roger.
Heresy now - I'd like the French to win.
Purely as a selfish England supporter as it's better not to have the Scots equal England's games score which is played two, won two.

BAFTA. - smokie
Don't the Scots always want opponents of England to win, whoever they are? I thought they did...

Anyway they lost... despite me wanting them to win...

England 21, Wales 16 - Roger.
OMG - a heart attack special for England supporters. Well done, but the Welsh were very, very, good. Whew!

England 21, Wales 16 - R.P.
George North was a sad omission for Wales. Wales needed speed on the wings. Not that I know that much

England 21, Wales 16 - Duncan
>> OMG - a heart attack special for England supporters. Well done, but the Welsh were
>> very, very, good. Whew!

Where have you been?

This was yesterday afternoon!

England 21, Wales 16 - R.P.
Rallying in the real world with a 1000 other bikers.

Worth a 2nd viewing - Dog
If only for the sake of old times and cars:www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/cw5qs/fords-dagenham-dream

SS-GB: New BBC Drama based on the book - rtj70
Might be worth a watch...? Starts Sunday 19th Feb at 9pm.

SS-GB: New BBC Drama based on the book - R.P.
Yep. Watched the start. Will catch up at my leisure

SS-GB: New BBC Drama based on the book - Bromptonaut
looking good. Read the book yrs ago but cannot relate to what I've just seen.

Scenes in books have no budget !

Last episode went off piste compared to the book - but the whole series was brilliantly made - el-cheapo sets and CGI it may have been but brilliantly produced and acted.

The Body on The Moor - Duncan
A fascinating story about an unidentified man whose body was found on Saddleworth Moor.

Channel 4, yesterday (Wednesday March 15th)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lytton

Very interesting, but for me it left as many questions unanswered as answered.

The Body on The Moor - Hard Cheese
>> A fascinating story about an unidentified man whose body was found on Saddleworth Moor.
>>

This is a nicely produced web feature by the BBC.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-e8c6cbab-da44-4a3c-8f9b-c4fccd53dd24

The Body on The Moor - sooty123
I've been keeping up with the story as well, as others have said fascinating. I'm sure they'll be more follow ups on tv.

The Body on The Moor - Manatee
Open verdict at the inquest wasn't it? Died from strychnine poisoning, but no real evidence for either suicide or murder.

Latest Forum Posts