Non-motoring > Dogs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 39

Dogs - zippy
I got my ex wife a Lhasa Apso five years ago after a lot of deliberation. She was very ill and needed some company and some impetus to get out and about.

The little dog is a fierce protector of her, she is brave, tenacious and barks a lot. She barks at any strange visitor to the house. She barks going up the stairs and she barks coming down the stairs. It is a good deep bark, not at all yappy.

I have just had her again for the weekend whilst the ex was away and she is full of character, the number of little noises that she makes are amazing, the way she tilts her head whilst listening to me is enchanting as is the little tap with her paw when she is seeking my attention.

She likes nothing better than a fast run around the garden and the way her fur flies back makes her look like a speeding train.

She is not the most intelligent animal. She doesn't fetch and can only do very limited tricks but she is affectionate, enjoying time with her head on my lap being stroked or having her tummy tickled.

Just really wanted to say that if you want a dog and can look after one then they can be an amazing addition to a family.
Last edited by: zippy on Sun 26 Jun 16 at 21:49
 Dogs - R.P.
They are mighty inconvenience - but wouldn't be without them.
 Dogs - Runfer D'Hills
When you are down, really down, they give great comfort. I grew up around multiple dogs, they were my childhood companions. For the early part of my adult life, there was no room for them, but my latest one is just great. Never leaves my side. Scruffy little mutt, but just the best wee pal.
 Dogs - R.P.
I loved your post the last time we spoke about this Humph....! I have one at my feet as I type the other next to me on the settee...I know either from his footfall on the tiles...They've been chasing rabbits this afternoon....(no one was hurt in the making of the adventure)....they know how to live...
 Dogs - Runfer D'Hills
Kind of you, but I haven't the faintest clue what I said ! ( age thing probably )

;-)
 Dogs - Bromptonaut
Other people's dogs are OK. Friends have a lovely show Cocker. The Dalmatian they had before was OK but insisted on nuzzling my nuts. Aside from discomfort having dog snot on your crotch isn't good.

The Lad (21) was terrified of them as a kid and remained pretty wary until last year when he took up with a girl from a dog owning family. He now crosses the street to say Hi to a Retriever...
 Dogs - Ted

Our last ones were two Border Terriers. great little dogs. We decided not to get any more as age creeps on, dog sitters have passed away over time and caravanning was made difficult sometimes.

We now can get a loan dog, my daughter/partner's Havanese Terrier. Nice little dog to have around, not picky over his grub, you can leave his bowl out and he just grazes during the day. The others just sucked their grub in in seconds then whinged for more ! Ollie is a sucker for cheese though.

You can goad him into going ' crackerdog...hurtling in and out of the room at some speed. His traction control on the kitchen floor is legendary....he hasn't got any ! He likes human company and sleeps on SWM's dressing gown on the bedroom floor until she wakes up. Then he gets on the bed and they watch the morning news together.

Great to have him around for a while....then he goes home to his Mum and Dad !
 Dogs - Dutchie
Nice story zippy.Always been involved with our four legged friends.My brother and sister dogs are a no no.

Pim one of my first a Keeshond beatifull small white dog with a curly tail.They bark a lot do, you get used to it.Irish Terrier courage beyond belief.Cross Labrador so friendly and loyal.Cross poedel similar.A few cats.Tom was my favorite.A big Ginger cat behaved like a dog my best mate.

Always broke my hart when the end came took all my courage to take them to the vet.We all have our stories about the best friends we will ever have.

Dogs - zippy
The tiny Lhasha is at the vets today.

She went in for some routine teeth cleaning and they had to remove some teeth.

The vets miscalculated the dose and they gave her 7 times the required pain killers.

Its touch and go apparently.

Ex is worried sick and so am I!

Dogs - R.P.
b***** hell - hope she's ok mate.
 Dogs - Runfer D'Hills
Jeez that's bad. Hope it works out.
 Dogs - rtj70
I hope the dogs gets through this okay. What an awful mistake to make!
 Dogs - Bobby
7 times the wrong dose! Jeez!
I can see how multiples of tens, ie decimal points can be confusing but a random number like 7?
Hope dog recovers.
 Dogs - Dog
>>b***** hell

My thoughts exactly (and some!!) Hope the little doggy is scampering about ASAP.
 Dogs - zippy
Thanks for all of your comments.

She is poorly but the vet is convinced that she will make a full recovery and is wired up to drips with an all night vets nurse. The vet is paying for this.

It is amazing how a grumpy hairy rat of a dog can give you so much pleasure, just by welcoming you at the door, sitting next to you and being a character.

She is a fiercely loyal dog and I would have never have guessed that I would be so worried about losing her.

Dogs - MD
I do not in any way wish you and the pooch anything but good will. What I am about to say may not be the same in your scenario, but a friends Jack Russell once ate many human pain killers, paracetamol I think, but can't remember for sure. The vet saved the situation, but warned that it would shorten the dogs life. It did by several years and when the slide started it was rapid.

I know it's not easy, but I would be taking the matter much further. For several reasons my faith in most Vets is waning. Examples can be provided if required.

Good luck to you both.
 Dogs - legacylad
Really sorry to hear that. Hope it has a happy ending. Dogs are a great source of comfort during difficult times, and I speak from a few experiences.
Im only away for 18 days but got a very sad look from the Lakeland this am when I left for the airport... He didn't know where I was going, only that he wasn't included in the adventure.
 Dogs - No FM2R
Hoping for the best, Zippy.
 Dogs - commerdriver
>> Im only away for 18 days but got a very sad look from the Lakeland
>> this am when I left for the airport... He didn't know where I was going,
>> only that he wasn't included in the adventure.
>>
Lakelands are very observant little dogs, a few years ago when I was away every week Monday to Thursday for a number of months I had to bring my washing in from the car on Thursday evening and take the clean clothes out to the car on Sunday evening so that ours didn't see me packing a case.
Suitcases were always a trigger for her getting all excited as it meant a trip away.
 Dogs - zippy
Thanks MD.

I will be asking how something like this can happen. As mentioned above, most mistakes are likely be to the power of 10, so I am concerned that the vet was trying to downplay the level of overdose.

Eldest child (as mentioned many times here before) is training to be a Dr and said that medicine volumes are checked and checked again.

The dog was originally purchased to help my ex get over a very serious illness and she now dotes over the dog. I am worried that the ex may have an adverse reaction if the worst comes to the worst.
 Dogs - Enoughalready
>> The vet is paying for this.

I should bleedin well hope so. They should be paying you!

Hope is all OK.
We have a 2yr Tibetan Terrier and although he's a little *** sometimes we love him dearly.
 Dogs - zippy
She's back and as cheeky as ever!

Won't take her medicine unless it's wrapped in cheese!

Vets charged for the original dental work despite my protestations! They didn't charge for the emergency care.

The medication was given by a student who apparently took the wrong doses from a weight vs dosage table.
 Dogs - rtj70
>> Vets charged for the original dental work despite my protestations!

That's outrageous. They should have given that for free considering the distress caused to say the least!

Glad she's got through the ordeal and back to herself.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Sat 1 Oct 16 at 15:27
 Dogs - MD
Zippy. I am so glad that your Pooch is back and "being cheeky".

Keep a diary of events.

You should not have succumbed to paying for anything. They (The Vets) have worked that on you based upon your attitude (I.e. Glad to have the pooch back intact).

They should be hauled over the coals for the unforgivable error of their student. I guess you've met the student? Male / Female? I would be interested to know.

I'll give you all an example now of just how the Vetinary industry has become.

Vet 1. Sacked by me some years ago for lying. Breaking the leg of our Cat. Attempting to 'Sell' instead of vetting. Total indifference go the plight of a working dog. 'They', these people purporting to be Vetinary Surgeons, have no place in my life. When presented with a huge bill for the supply of bull and shine I respectfully suggested that they detailed their invoice as I detail mine. They declined. I did not pay for reasons aforementioned and their total inability to look me in the eye.

Two weeks ago. The above vet 'offered' to charge a customer of mine £330.00 to clean and polish their Cats teeth. The one tooth that required extracting would be extra (not specified).

The very professional Vet' that I use now carried out the whole procedure, including the extraction for £130.00. Puss fine. Client fine. Vet does very well thank you.

Hope Pooch continues well. Regards, MD.
 Dogs - legacylad
Made my evening Zippy.. I was wondering but daren't ask
Have a wonderful Sunday!
 Dogs - zippy
Thank you all for your kind comments.

I am pleased to say that I have been growled at a couple of times this evening and given a good chase round the bed.

As it should, or shouldn't be and I wouldn't be without it!

Dogs - No FM2R

>> I am pleased to say that I have been growled at a couple of times
>> this evening and given a good chase round the bed.

While the dog watched?
 Dogs - Pat
That's really good news Zippy, all back to normal then:)

Pat
 Dogs - Mapmaker
You have two options.

1. Wind yourself up in a pointless battle to get some arbitrary sum back.

2. More on as there's been no trouble, and know that the vet student will probably never make that mistake again. I guarantee that the vet student will be mortified for years.
 Dogs - CGNorwich
I agree with you Mapmaker. Mistakes happen. Happy ending and and no financial loss
 Dogs - zippy
Just happy to get her back.

We know the student vet was in floods of tears over what happened and that's totally understandable, these furry creatures really get under your skin.

I do believe in live and let live and the vet has offered to do free blood tests to check on the furball over the next six months.
 Dogs - MD
I genuinely wish you and the pooch well, but the Vet is probably crapping himself if the truth be known.
 Dogs - Mapmaker
>>the Vet is probably

Probably not. A new dog would have been cheaper than 48 hours of intensive care.
 Dogs - MD
Heartfelt that wasn't it? Genius.
 Dogs - zippy
Eldest is back from Uni for Easter today.

Dog had a fit when she saw her. She got so excited she fainted!

Now cuddled up next to her on the sofa and won't let her move!

Dogs - No FM2R
S'very sweet but just for clarity; which one fainted and who is cuddled up to whom and who won't let who move?

I like to have these things clear.
 Dogs - zippy
Dog fainted in excitement.

Dog is cuddled up to daughter and dog wont let daughter go anywhere.
 Dogs - No FM2R
>>Dog fainted in excitement.

In all seriousness, that must have been a bit scary?
Last edited by: No FM2R on Sat 15 Apr 17 at 22:51
 Dogs - zippy
Yes, it was. She came back round after about 30 seconds.

We haven't taken her to the vet yet as she seems fine. Will do so for a check up in the morning.
 Dogs - Zero
Its not unknown, its usually a very very mild form of Epilepsy (which is very prevalent in dogs)
Latest Forum Posts