Non-motoring > Average age of poster on C4P Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 79

Average age of poster on C4P - rtj70
So to figure out why we disagree, maybe an idea of ages helps? I will be 46 soon. 8< snip

So who's left and what demographic?

I'm white, not really religious (but more CoE/Welsh Baptist type) and working and nearly 46.

I am guessing some who remain are older, a split between male/female and mostly retired.

Are most of us here on a vacation every day?
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 7 Sep 16 at 02:07
 Average age of poster on C4P - VxFan
Whilst your comments about people's ages might be considered tongue in cheek, they could also be deemed offensive to others, so in line with forum policy about personal insults, it's been removed.

If people want us to toughen up on moderation, then so be it.

VxF.
 Average age of poster on C4P - PeterS
I'm not retired!!
Just back from a work trip to Spsin, hence the late posting... Not sure what's been going on while I've been tolerating 38 degree heat :p. Saw the cathedral in Murcia, but definitely not religious

And I'm *only* 45. Don't get to say that often... :)
 Average age of poster on C4P - Dog
I will be 64 next week :(

I'm white, but with an 'olive' complexion, so look like a blimming foreigner quite quickly once the currant bun comes out [think tall, dark, and 'ansome ;)]

Not really religious at all at all, although I do like most of what Jesus is alleged to have preached.

I'm on vacation in Cornwall at the moment, and have been for the last 20 years.
 Average age of poster on C4P - Clk Sec
>> [think tall, dark, and 'ansome ;)]

There can't be two of us on this forum, shirley...
>>There can't be two of us on this forum, shirley...

There's 'another place' for GOF's like you ya know!

:o}
 Average age of poster on C4P - devonite
Must say I'm not entirely sure of this thread or where it's going, but taking that it's just a question of curiosity:

Me is 60, Caucasian, and tend to bend more to the Pagan side of things in my beliefs, not that I worship deities or such like but more the natural ways of the Earth around me.

I think that Stephen Fry sums up Religion very well, and I tend to think along the same lines!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo
>> There's 'another place' for GOF's like you ya know!
>> :o}
>>

Not sure that my IQ would be up to scratch.
;-)
>>Not sure that my IQ would be up to scratch.

<ROTFLOL>

Does ones IQ change o'er the years I wonder. I was found to have a fairly high IQ 50 years ago.

8-)
 Average age of poster on C4P - Mike H
63, white, more or less retired, hence around during the day a lot :-) and living in Austria. No particular religious beliefs, but I like to think I live my life in a "christian" fashion.

I don't post much here, but read the forums mostly every day. One of the reasons I don't post is that there are a number of individuals who like the sound of their own voice, and others (sometimes the same ones) who seem to me to be too keen to belittle contributors who aren't part of the inner sanctum. Might sound a bit blunt, but that's how I see it I'm afraid, and can see how the recent set of threads has crept in. Newcomers will, IMHO, find it difficult to stay the course, there's always someone around to give them less than a warm welcome.

But I'm staying here, and elsewhere, at least it provides some amusement value ;-)
 Average age of poster on C4P - madf
I am 25 years old mentally##.. Just under 70 by years . With the body of Ignudi - as painted by Michelangelo.

:-)

## but really still a child at heart. IQ immeasurable..as is my arrogance and general unsufferability ...
Last edited by: madf on Wed 7 Sep 16 at 13:06
 Average age of poster on C4P - Stuartli
>>Might sound a bit blunt, but that's how I see it I'm afraid, and can see how the recent set of threads has crept in.>>

Couldn't agree more. There has, to me at least, been a gradual but persistent descent into a rather nasty, unpleasant environment in a number of threads and it's a crying shame.

I've commented in the past that virtually all websites have a contributor that thinks they know it all, but it would appear that C4P has now developed a few more than usual.

I wouldn't call it not to be missed entertainment value as such or an atmosphere that I would encourage, so would hope that the site's contributors would step back, think again and endeavour to post as many positive and valuable comments as possible.
 Average age of poster on C4P - The Melting Snowman
Given recent goings-on in this place, one would be excused for thinking the mental age for some people was about 12.
 Average age of poster on C4P - Stuu
Nearing 37 here, although cant account for the last decade which seems to have passed rather too swiftly.

I found my year off from this place pretty easy, I got rather into OGame though which does require time put in to succeed, especially against the more dedicated ( obsessed? ) players.

I cant say I was surprised that there was much bickering on here over Brexit, Twitter especially was ( and remains ) in a permanent state of vitriol, but I wasn't here so for once, not my fault :-)
 Average age of poster on C4P - maltrap
69 White male (last time i looked)

Live in the suburbs of Brum

Perhaps it would be best if, like my barber we avoid politics & religion.

I'm also bald!
>>I'm also bald!

Erm, we didn't need to know that.

;-)
 Average age of poster on C4P - Manatee
I'm fairly sure I posted in this thread, non-controversially I thought, but it has disappeared.

Fair enough, your train set, but I'd like to know why.
 Average age of poster on C4P - R.P.
57 - live life by a set of general rules - which would be found in the New Testament...work three days a week - which brings in only a little - but I'm happy..
Working three days a week would be great. Sadly not an option. I do get 40 days holiday plus bank holidays so shouldn't grumble I guess.

And if anyone wondered why I started this.... I suspected the average age on here was at the upper end and it fills in some of the 'background/life' for me at least with long term members.

When this site launched I was 39.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 8 Sep 16 at 00:24
If the average age on here is at the upper end, we must have some rather elderly members....:-)

I'm one of the older ones, but my age certainly doesn't lower that average in any meaningful way.
>>If the average age on here is at the upper end, we must have some rather elderly members....:-)

Perhaps we'd better call this forum DOGS ... Dave's Old Geezers.

:o)
>> Fair enough, your train set, but I'd like to know why.

This should explain it.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=23108
 Average age of poster on C4P - Cliff Pope
I think it's more fun not knowing.
I'm knocking 29.
>> I'm knocking 29.
>>

A man's as young as the woman he feels
 Average age of poster on C4P - Pat
>>A man's as young as the woman he feels<<

Not much help for Ian then;)

Pat
 Average age of poster on C4P - car4play
Hiding or deleting posts here removes everything on the branch below it. This isn't desirable in hind sight. It would have been better if it just deleted the post itself and marked it as such.
I blame the developers.

Your post most likely got caught by the prune I did yesterday being further down a lopped branch. So nothing to do with whether it was controversial or not - just unfortunate collateral damage.
>> I blame the developers.

Makes a change. They usually blame me ;)
 Average age of poster on C4P - sherlock47
I have several friends (yes, I know, it could be an age old euphemism) who have regularly used 'dating sites'. Without fail they have lied about their age, but then become upset on finding that selected potential partners have done the same thing. This then results in even further future modifications to the DoB field.

Does the same apply to age declarations on a forum like this?
>>Does the same apply to age declarations on a forum like this?>>

You mean they might be even older than older on average than expected? :-)

I'm 76 and a bit, but have the huge advantage of bringing vast knowledge and experience to the forum if required - even if no one seeks them - compared to those in their mere 40s or 50s!!

Average age of poster on C4P - Dulwich Estate II
"I don't post much here, but read the forums mostly every day. One of the reasons I don't post is that there are a number of individuals who like the sound of their own voice, and others (sometimes the same ones) who seem to me to be too keen to belittle contributors who aren't part of the inner sanctum. Might sound a bit blunt, but that's how I see it I'm afraid, and can see how the recent set of threads has crept in. Newcomers will, IMHO, find it difficult to stay the course, there's always someone around to give them less than a warm welcome."

I couldn't agree more - my IQ must be far too low, and my knowledge of most things too insufficent to be able to post anything of worth on here.
 Average age of poster on C4P - CGNorwich
I'm "irrelevant" but it doesn't stop me posting.
 Average age of poster on C4P - smokie
I think we've all struggled at times with someone else on here, or another group, or with the general view not aligning with our own, and there is no doubt we have been through a particularly difficult time recently.

A few people have come up with similar comments to DE in the past week, just as (in my view) the forum is more settled and has become more fun than it has been in quite a while. I feel that while people keep talking the place down then there's only one way it will go.

Please do not allow yourself to be put off posting, I 'm sure I'm not alone in enjoying reading other peoples viewpoints and experiences (including yours DE :-) ), even if they are not entirely agreeable to me.

>> there is no doubt we have been through a particularly difficult time recently.

I stopped posting in April when the current of unacceptable behaviour began to increase. The build up to the referendum and the Brexit result showed this forum at its very worst, with some quite unacceptable behaviour by people that should know better. Things do seem more settled now, long may it continue. I have made a decision to keep out of the more controversial subjects such as Brexit completely, which is one way of dealing with it.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Sat 10 Sep 16 at 21:08
 Average age of poster on C4P - mikeyb
>> >> I have made a decision to keep out
>> of the more controversial subjects such as Brexit completely, which is one way of dealing
>> with it.
>>

That's been my operating style for some time
 Average age of poster on C4P - Armel Coussine
Why is everyone so wimpish?

'Controversial' is meat and drink to grownups on this sort of site, I wd have thought.

Honestly, don't be feeble chaps. Speak up!
 Average age of poster on C4P - No FM2R
It is strange, isn't it, AC?

An internet forum with pretty good separation between subjects is presumably intended to be a stimulating place. Yet people drop out of the whole thing because they are intimidated by a few rough threads.

With so little courage of conviction, then avoiding the difficult subjects is probably sensible. But avoiding the others? That's a little faint of heart, surely?
This place has often been compared to a pub and there are plenty of those to choose from if you get fed up with your current boozer. Yes you could hang around and avoid the bits you don't like and concentrate on the bits you do but often it's just easier to say 'sod it' and go elsewhere.

I don't have a problem with controversial subjects themselves but all too often these have declined to personal insults from some people who seem to combine this with an embedded nastiness. Well, that's how it seems to me anyway. Easier just to keep out of those and if that means I have 'little courage of conviction' so be it. Spent most of my working life in confrontational situations in meetings etc., only saving grace was I got well paid. Being here is supposed to be relaxing and fun.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Sun 11 Sep 16 at 10:03
>>all too often these have declined to personal insults from some people who seem to combine this with an embedded nastiness

And that's where moderators come in, or should do. I know of a motoring forum which has no-less than 3 moderators [Three!]
 Average age of poster on C4P - Focal Point
"Yet people drop out of the whole thing because they are intimidated by a few rough threads."

Intimidation has little to do with it, in my view. It is just how I feel about the almost continuous (at times) undercurrent of nastiness, of belittlement and so on that we had a while back.

None of that scares me, but I really can't be a***d to have to keep on responding according to my conscience, which tells me to argue with intolerant and unpleasant people, to put the right point of view out there and generally make a stand.

And the bad taste affects the whole forum - maybe it shouldn't, but it does. It is hard to contribute to a non-contentious thread without the other stuff being in the back of your mind.

It ends up being a huge distraction and considering it's just people rabbiting away on an internet forum and it isn't fun any more, just how important is it, really, in the greater scheme of things, to try to keep going?

That's my rationalisation of it and I'm sorry that it will no doubt inject a discordant note.
Genys frank ha par yw oll tus an bys yn aga dynita hag yn aga gwiryow. Enduys yns gans reson ha kowses hag y tal dhedha omdhon an eyl orth y gila yn spyrys a vrederedh.
Is that Cornish? It has similarities to Welsh but it's not of course. Even if you didn't speak Welsh, knowing there is no K in the Welsh language would tell you it isn't Welsh.
>>Is that Cornish?

I was looking for the Cornish for egg, and came up with that ... And there's more:

"Bro goth agan tasow, dha fleghes a'th kar, Gwlas ker an howlsedhes, pan vro yw dha bar?
War oll an norvys 'th on ni skollys a-les, Mes agan kerensa yw dhis.
Kernow, Kernow y keryn Kernow; An mor hedre vo yn fos dhis a-dro Th on onan hag oll rag Kernow!"
>> just as (in my view) the forum is more settled and has become more fun than it has been in quite a while.<<

I'm surprised and delighted at the completely different direction this forum has taken during last week.

It's nice to see people posting who rarely do, old names re-appearing and the motoring forum flourishing again.

Ian doesn't have time to get involved with posting, but is a complete nerd when it comes to cars (he calls it being a petrol head) and always reads the motoring threads if nothing else.

There must be many people like him who never post but would miss it if it wasn't there.

The help and advice on such a diverse range of subjects that can be found, is worth it's weight in gold.

It's nice too to see some of the previous antagonistic posters still here and being considerate and more measured in their posts...they really are quite nice people when we get to see that side of them, which has surprised me.

Long may it continue

Pat
 Average age of poster on C4P - CGNorwich

>> It's nice too to see some of the previous antagonistic posters still here and being
>> considerate and more measured in their posts...they really are quite nice people "

"Never smile at a crocodile
No, you can't get friendly with a crocodile
Don't be taken in by his welcome grin
He's imagining how well you'd fit within his skin"

:-)
Wise words CG :)

...and in rhyme too!

Pat

Average age of poster on C4P - knowitall
>>
>> >> It's nice too to see some of the previous antagonistic posters still here and
>> being
>> >> considerate and more measured in their posts...they really are quite nice people "

www.youtube.com/watch?v=db6y5H9r_rY
Benefit of doubt may well be given, but never make the mistake of thinking I'm gullible:)

Pat
>>Long may it continue

I'll second that.
 Average age of poster on C4P - Ambo
Me too. With it, who needs Wikipedia?
 Average age of poster on C4P - Old Navy
Some people are like crocodiles, they come out of the egg angry and only get worse with age.
 Average age of poster on C4P - Falkirk Bairn
70 yrs old in a few weeks time - early in life driving 500-600 miles in a week was the norm, sometime 400 in a day.

Today it is more like 100 - 150 a week and some times a lot less. Trips are more likely to 5/10 miles & often 2/3 miles Drs, hospital, supermarket.
 Average age of poster on C4P - Dutchie
I am 67 Can't believe how times have gone by.

Busy with retired.Two sons and a daughter.I am Dutch born small village in the North of Holland.

Grew up in a big Sea Port Rotterdam.Don't look my age which gets me in trouble sometimes standing up to younger people.>:)

>>Don't look my age which gets me in trouble sometimes standing up to younger people

Especially the wimin hey Dutchie.

;-)
They are my friends Dog.Never fall out with wimin they always come out on top.>:)
>>Never fall out with wimin they always come out on top

Um, not from my experience Dutchie: www.netmums.com/woman/g/100-kamasutra-sex-positions

;-)
 Average age of poster on C4P - Armel Coussine
My average age is 78 God help me, but it often feels like 178.
 Average age of poster on C4P - car4play
AC - Average?

Be thankful, you must feel great on the days it goes down.
How do you cope on the days it goes up? ;-)
>>How do you cope on the days it goes up? ;-)

'Substances' usually.

:)
 Average age of poster on C4P - Mark
I concur

Very much liking the new "vibe" on here reminds me of how it used to be both here on on HJ.

I more or less stopped posting here (but still visited) about a year ago when a particular poster became a bit Matthew Hopkins about things and started attaching labels to people.

Its a shame as I think some good posters such as Westpig and others seem to have been gone for a while.

I don't think this forum will ever benefit from posters being asked to explain their postings to the nth degree; like a conversation in a bar a lot of comments made by those there are never challenged they just add to the broadness of the discussion. I think that in most bars I have ever been to if I were to start to be overtly confrontational I would expect to be asked to leave.

Lets hope things are on the up.

As always

Mark
Last edited by: Mark on Wed 14 Sep 16 at 18:05
 Average age of poster on C4P - Ambo
Maybe Zero will forgive all and return to the fold.
 Average age of poster on C4P - Old Navy
We know where to find him if in need of an argument.
"Maybe Zero will forgive all and return to the fold."

Dunno about forgiving, but he's back under a different name. Keeping a low profile, however. He is, shall we say... more available elsewhere.

Old Sundodger has gone, though... oh - hang on - no, he hasn't.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Fri 16 Sep 16 at 14:34
I'd just like to say how much I agree with Mark.

Sadly I haven't had time to post hardly at all this week as I've been busy preparing for our Truck show at Stonham Barns this weekend, and having lost 3 days to Gout at the end of last week I've really had my back to the wall.

If anyone would like to pop along we'd love to see you and you will see a totally different side to lorries and their drivers. Customised, detailed and spotless (that's not the drivers!). You may even enter the quiz on Saturday evening but I warn you we do know a few rugby songs to end the night with!

What I'm trying to say very quickly before we leave is it's been great to just look in when I've had the chance, to find something interesting to read, to see car4play posting and everyone being sensible.

So, play nicely while I'm away....I don't want to come home on Sunday evening knackered and find it's all turned to rat s*** again:)

Bet you can tell I'm in lorry driver mode already!

Pat
Last edited by: Pat on Fri 16 Sep 16 at 17:12
 Average age of poster on C4P - Mark
Thanks Pat

I have never fancied going to a Weatherspoons full of "grown up" grumpy people with a chip on their shoulder about their perceived IQ. I much prefer an "upmarket bar" where one can relax and join in as appropriate without being judged.

I will make the effort to comment on here more often now it seems to be like it once was.

As always

Mark
Last edited by: Mark on Fri 16 Sep 16 at 19:52
 Average age of poster on C4P - RattleandSmoke
At a grand old age of 34 I am one of the youngest on here, I also love cars but don't like driving. I bought my current car at 27 and still have it now, I have done just 25,000 miles in it! However on average I spend around 1 hour a day in my car (apart from weekends).

Thankfully due to this site and having the opportunity to reverse park an articulated lorry I can now park my Panda with ease, which is something I could never do when I passed my test! (first time some how!)

What is very freighting is most on here will remember Rattle I bought back in 2007 hence my username! I think I joined HJ to find out if I had a rattling camshaft, only to discover the worn piston rings were more serious!. (Rattle was the rattle from the camshaft area and smoke was due due to the worn piston rings)

Not posted on here much lately mainly due to political reasons
Last edited by: RattleandSmoke on Sat 17 Sep 16 at 04:04
>>Not posted on here much lately mainly due to political reasons>>

Was that because you couldn't decide whether to Leave or Remain? :-) :-)

Yes, recall your posts well from HJ days as, of course, on here over the years, particularly the Manchester links and connections.
 Average age of poster on C4P - legacylad
Rattle.. Seriously I hope you have got over the 'shock' of the vote....
Im not getting involved in any discussion but hope balance has been restored in your life
Always enjoyed your post Rattle.

Political reasons? Post your opinion Rattle don't be afraid it is yours.>:)

>>
>> Political reasons? Post your opinion Rattle don't be afraid it is yours.>:)
>>

No don't. I think we are all a bit tired and shell-shocked after that particular debate. :)

Someone mentioned Wetherspoons earlier. I'd like to recommend breakfast at Wetherspoons when they open at 8 am. Not half bad traditional scoff, medium or large, vegetarian option, decent-sized mug of tea, real milk in a jug, and about a third of the price of the breakfasts you get in a B&B.
I was in Sheffield last week for a night, and the Wetherspoons in the old water company offices felt very civilised. Listed building, high windows overlooking the main street, newspaper spread out out on the table, very few other customers, it felt like sitting in the window of a gentleman's club watching the world go by.
Hit and miss in Weatherspoon like so many of these places regarding food.Not expensive so I suppose you get what you pay for.

There's a 'Spoons a few miles from us where we have breakfast once or twice a year, and it's well cooked food for a very reasonable price.
 Average age of poster on C4P - Dave_
I'm 43 for another few weeks yet, white with a bit of a suntan.

Religion? Nah, I went to the local Sunday School as a kid but didn't stick with it. These days I only cross paths with clergy at weddings and funerals.

I work four days a week when it's busy, but we take all the school holidays off to spend time travelling and enjoying experiences as a family. Rental income from an inherited property helps us to do that. I've seen too many people slave themselves into an early grave - I thought I would as well, which gives me the determination to enjoy life to the full while I'm able.

I don't do arguments, especially not on here. It's only words on a screen. It's sometimes fun to watch though :)
Last edited by: Dave_ on Sun 18 Sep 16 at 15:48
 Average age of poster on C4P - Bromptonaut
I'm 56 and say no to God - though quite happy with other people following theirs. My beliefs/actions probably accord with new testament but I regard them as moderate socialist.

Civil Servant for 35 years until redundancy with early pension. Now work/volunteer for Citizens Advice. Homeowner in one of Northampton's dormitory villages
I'm not religious either, though I was brought up by a stern mother who, like my father, was a devout Christian and part of a fundamental religious group. I probably know more about religion and the Bible than your average bloke.

But it never really resonated with me, though I'm well aware that the moral code I try to abide by is derived from a mixture of liberal philosophy and western religion, rather like Bromp's.

I have a problem with religious people only if they want to impose their beliefs on me, or if their world-view is hopelessly uptight because of them. I acknowledge that religion provides a meaning to life and an emotional support to those who take it seriously.
 Average age of poster on C4P - smokie
"if their world-view is hopelessly uptight because of them"

I think you meant to to say if their world-view is doesn't agree with your own because of them.

When you think about it, at the end of the day it's just one person's belief against another. It's just that your belief is based on something like our Western values, which we would claim are often more civilised, rather than any formal religion. Us trying to impose out beliefs and values onto others who have strong beliefs of their own is at the root of quite a bit of bother these days. That's why "they" have a problem with "us".

I'm always going to lost that argument here so I'm not really trying to start a discussion, just making the point that our beliefs may not be based on religion but to others they are just as offensive as ours are to them.
Unfortunately, Smokie, I did not make myself clear. I meant I find it a pain to deal with people who take their religion so seriously they are uptight. Yes, their world-view is not mine. I am entitled to my beliefs and theirs to their own. I'm not suggesting imposing my views on them.

I wasn't making a political point, nor a point about society. I didn't have Islam in mind, nor any religious group as such.

What I was saying was more about a certain personality type than anything else.

>> What I was saying was more about a certain personality type than anything else.>>

Whether you are religious or not, no matter. But whichever way we look at it, something far, far more powerful - and even that is difficult to comprehend - created a universe millions, even billions of years ago, that stretches through 360 degrees to infinity.

Earth is just one tiny piece of sand in that "desert" and even that is understating the case, yet we have evolved over a miniscule period of time into a planet that features (at least today) the Internet, Smart TVs and phones, the Premier League and Jeremy Corbyn (GHU) for starters that one presumes can't be found anywhere else.

We ourselves are only around individually for a blink of an eyelid but, joking apart and to be serious, I can't believe that there wouldn't be some other form of life in such a limitless universe. The odds are just too overwhelming for it to be so.

Rant over! But observations would be interesting.
"... whichever way we look at it, something far, far more powerful - and even that is difficult to comprehend - created a universe..."

Maybe, or maybe not. The simple existence of the universe (or many of them - we don't know if there's only one) does not in itself prove anything about a creator. But I agree that humans usually feel a sense of awe in contemplating the vastness of Everything Else compared with the tininess of the details of our own existence; however, to me such awe does not point to, or equal, religious devotion or belief.

I found Professor Brian Cox's stance on varying responses to finding meaning in Life/The Universe/Everything very interesting, as recently reported in Christian Today:

'Prof Brian Cox has called for believers and non-believing scientists to acknowledge each others' contribution to human beings' search for meaning and to avoid "toxic" dismissals of different worldviews.

Interviewed at a Diocese of Leeds clergy conference where he shared a platform with Prof David Wikinson, principal of St John's College, Cox – a physicist with a high public profile thanks to his popular TV science documentaries – said that while he had no personal faith he rejected the label of "atheist" because he refused to be "pigeon-holed".

In his address he spoke of cutting-edge theories of multiple or even infinite universes, and the implication of these theories for the quest for meaning. He said faith and science do not have to be in opposition.'

There's more at tinyurl.com/gm5fnj7
>> It's only words on a screen. It's
>> sometimes fun to watch though :)
>>

My sentiments exactly. It's not as if they are real people - it's a soap opera.
Latest Forum Posts