Non-motoring > Gout Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Pat Replies: 66

Gout - Pat
Has anyone had it?

Has anyone got it?

...and more to the point, how long does it last?

According to Google I've got it and it's not just another Arthritic joint swelling up as it's swollen and inflamed.

I can't take those anti inflammatories like Ibuprofen because it clashes with my BP medication so what's the best remedy?

Yours painfully

Pat
 Gout - No FM2R
A week.

However, its not a brief illness, like a dose of flu or something, its an ongoing condition.

You need to know what is behind your condition (genetic, lifestyle, other cause) and what is the best treatment - anti inflammatory, diet, etc. etc.

With the exception of anything Lygonos may say, and with respect to him you don't even *know* that he is a doctor, you need more trustworthy advice than an internet forum.

In the absence of other courses of action or support, go here.. www.ukgoutsociety.org/
 Gout - No FM2R
>>According to Google I've got it

According to Google I am a genius, exhibit devastating wit, and provide pleasant company despite being a bit shy and introverted.

Go to a doctor.
 Gout - Old Navy
I had Gout when I was in my 30s, it lasted about a month, and was very painful. I was put on pills and it eventually resolved itself never to return.

See a Doctor.
 Gout - Lygonos
>>With the exception of anything Lygonos may say, and with respect to him you don't even *know* that he is a doctor

Busted!

Nah, I am a doctor.

I would strongly advise seeing a quack to make sure of the diagnosis - a single joint suddenly flaring up is probably gout but other things including infection need excluded especially if it is very painful and hot, and even more so if you feel feverish/unwell.

Untreated attacks typically last 7-14 days, and are usually too sore to have bedclothes lying on the affected joints.

Ibuprofen is often inadequate for the pain, and as you say is not recommended for most blood pressure patients.

Colchicine works very well for those who can't use high dose anti-inflammatories but excessive doses can cause the most impressive diarrhoea.

Bendroflumethiazide is a common BP med that can cause gout and I would usually want to stop that and find something else. Other diuretics such as furosemide can also cause it.

Beer, cider with twigs in, and whisky appear major aggravators, while wine doesn't seem too bad. The role of meat products is less clear than we once thought.

Gout increasingly appears to be a possible risk factor for heart disease and there are studies ongoing to see if effective reduction in urate levels (the treatment for chronic gout) has a protective effect on future heart attacks.

I like gout on a professional level because I can cure it (unlike any other arthritis).

see a doc and get a proper diagnosis/assessment

Gout - Pat
Thanks for confirming what Google thought!

You're right about the bed clothes on it Lygonos.

I'm on Adizem- -XL and Lisinopril for BP.

I only drink wine, but love all vegetables and meat:)

Not feverish but the swelling and tenderness is getting worse so it looks like a visit to the Doc'c tomorrow if an appointment is available.

Pat
 Gout - Pat
Lygonos

I've been to our local minor injuries unit this morning and saw a nurse practioner who is certain it is Gout and not Cellulitis and wanted me to have Ibuprofen.

After looking at my medication record she agree there was a contra-indication with Lisinopril.

As luck would have it there was an out of hours Doctor there doing appointments and she went and talked to him about it and came back to persuade me to take a prescription of Naproxen 500mg to be taken twice daily.

Now, I understand this is in the same group as Ibuprofen so do I take them or not please?

Pat
 Gout - Dog
Check this out Pat: www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1476-0,1690-0

Gout - Pat
Thanks Dog, that explains it a bit better.

They wanted me to take two a day for a week, I sort of agree to take one at night for the next 4 days only, to get some sleep.

Apparently they want to get the swelling down which has spread to ankle and lower leg.

Pat

Gout - Lygonos
>>Now, I understand this is in the same group as Ibuprofen so do I take them or not please?

Naproxen is not any safer than ibuprofen, but

1. It will work much better than the ibuprofen

2. Unless you already have wrecked kidneys, 3 to 4 days of taking them is very unlikely to cause major harm.

I'd keep any appointment you have with your regular doc to have uric acid levels checked and decide what you might need for possible future attacks (eg. short courses of naproxen, colchicine, or even steroids depending on your history), and to decide if preventative medication such as allopurinol may be indicated.
 Gout - Pat
Thanks Lygonos.

I shall make an appointment with my own Doc for October which is her first available one, and hopefully this will have settled down by then and we can see what action to take.

She is well aware of my reluctance for medication, love of a couple of glasses of red wine a night (she recommends it) and accepts stopping smoking is non negotiable so we sort of speak the same language.

Pat
 Gout - Lygonos
>>Love of a couple of glasses of red wine a night (she recommends it)

Code for your GP is an alcoholic ;-)
 Gout - Dog
I would take the alternative route (surprise surprise)

Acupuncture would alleviate the pain.

Hot water with a slice of lemon first thing in the morn (not as nice as coffee, I know)

Cherries are good for inflammation, as is turmeric. Devil's claw root, gingerroot, meadowsweet leaves and flowertops, and white willow bark all act as anti-inflammatory agents that can relieve pain.

Avoid turkey meat, organ meats, herring, anchovies, meat gravies, beer, and red wine. These are high in purines, which are metabolized to uric acid.

Alexander the Great suffered with gout, as did Michelangelo, Nostradamus, Christopher Columbus, Sir Isaac Newton, Leonardo da Vinci, Ludwig van Beethoven, Benjamin Franklin, and Charles Dickens, so you're in good? company.
 Gout - Armel Coussine
My late Irish uncle by marriage had a gouty big toe which was a great trial to him. He was a great big tall chap and well-off, didn't stint himself (or anyone else) in matters of food and drink which may or may not have caused or exacerbated the condition.

He was a kindly, good-natured cat, and stoical with the gout. Drove an old Jaguar Mk VII, quite gently.

He was the second husband of my mother's widowed, glamorous younger sister.

Gout - Roger.
I had gout - came on severely making it nearly impossible to walk. Unfortunately it really hit hard when I HAD to walk from the arrivals gate to baggage reclaim at Malaga Airport - a very long way.
Alopurinol has kept it under control for some years now.
 Gout - busbee
I have had gout, off and on for many years, but by now I know what to do. And by doing it, it is not a significant problem for me.
Last bout was about 10 months ago. It can leave me alone for several years. Then the big toe swell up red.

"Colchicine works very well. . " It works for me. Which? did trial and found that taking more than 6 a day brought no improvement. The maximum dose stated on the box is 12 a day, but I would not risk anything like that amount. It can cause damage.
-
I take only 3/day. spaced 1 hour apart, for two days. And try that. It is still there, a bit, but it usually goes away, for me, after another two days.

The usual blood treatment to get the uric acid down is to take allopurinol and both can be taken together, it says (time spaced?) But I start them after the two days.

The amount needed varies according to patient. Can be 300mg ones a day. You need medical monitoring, while taking it, to find out your needs.

I get away with 100mg/day. I keep that going for about three weeks, then taper it to one every other day, and then try leaving it off. If it comes back, I use just use it again. This last two times it did not come back.

One doctor would not prescribe it for me. I guess he thought I was too old to risk it. And I had a nasty weekend hobbling about and going to a hospital to get treatment on a weekend. That is how I learned of using Colchicine.

Back at the docs I showed him some 10 year old ones that I would be taking anyway, if he did not provide fresh ones. He relented.

I can't be doing too much wrong, I am 86 and look a good ten years less -- but I do exercise regularly twice a week and have been doing so for a very long time. I still go quite high up ladders and fix things etc. By no means a doddera.

I barely drink any alcohol -- too many hops for me. Pint of lager shandy is about it apart from an occasional drop of red wine. I try not to eat red meat two days running. Black grapes seem to be good. I drink orange and apple juice. Have an Indian once a week.
 Gout - Dog
>>Have an Indian once a week

Is she from the sub continent, or native American?

8-)
 Gout - Slidingpillar
I am another on allopurinol. Works for me, but I do have to watch I don't become dehydrated.

As the others have said, do see your GP. I've been sent for countless blood tests in the past, but although I exhibit the joint symptoms perfectly, my blood has never confirmed it. Nettle tea is supposed to be good when one has gout, but I'm not sure for me. But it tastes ok, so what the heck, I usually have it available.
 Gout - devonite
I suffer with what has been diagnosed as Polymorphic Gouty Arthritis, It often affects multiple joints at the same time. It was through the repeated Gout attacks that I was eventually diagnosed with CKD. I would suggest you see about a blood test and check your Uric Acid levels, and don't take Aspirin whilst you are having an attack - it makes it worse! Co-Codamol (30/500 on prescription) works well for me as a pain-killer during an attack, and I take Allopurinol to try and keep it at bay. I also find that a few Comfrey leaves in water (as hot as you can stand) makes a nice soothing foot-soak. Like I have said before, keep away from Ibuprofen, my Consultant says it's the biggest Kidney-killer out there!
 Gout - Pat
Well, thanks for all the replies and advice.

What a night, I ended up sat in a chair with my foot on an ice pack all night and never slept a wink. Laying down it throbbed and the despite making a tent with pillows for my foot it was just impossible.

I took two paracetamol ( I hate taking pain killers) and they did nothing whatsoever so I haven't had anymore.

I started ringing the surgery at 8.25today and finally got through at 9.50 only to find no appointments with my Doc until October and it's 9 years since I saw her last.

No appointments at all today and as it's my right foot I can't drive or put any weight on it .

They don't do Saturday appointments but they do long days on Monday and Wednesday 7am-7pm appointments so Ian can drive me there when he gets home.....but Monday is completely full so it looks like next Wednesday then.

I was advised to go to A&E if it gets worse before then.

With the lack of sleep I haven't got the energy to argue today but please try and understand that it was never like this when I last went 9 years ago and goes some way to explain my views on our expanding population in this area.

It's not the Doc's or the receptionists fault and I sympathise with them but it needs sorting.

Pat
 Gout - TheManWithNoName
If all else fails, try this medieval cure...

Gout – apply to the affected foot a mixture made out of worms, pigs marrow, herbs all boiled together with a red-haired dog.

niiiice.
 Gout - Pat
:)

Maybe I should try and get up to my Zen garden and stick pins it!

Pat
 Gout - Lygonos
Cherry juice if you can find it can be effective.

ps. your GP service sucks - I'd see someone same day without fail if they thought they had acute gout.

Might be partially down to expanding population, but also GP reticence to expand their numbers (and thus dilute their equally expanding income).
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 9 Sep 16 at 13:38
 Gout - Pat
>>ps. your GP service sucks <<

All of our services are groaning under the strain.

More people and less money to provide a service with is not a good recipe.

Thanks, will see if Tesco do Cherry juice, they're delivering tomorrow morning.

Pat
 Gout - Lygonos
GP service income is directly proportional to the size of their list. More patients = more income.

The willingness and/or ability to recruit more staff does vary.

New GP trainee numbers are not rising and are significantly down in some areas, with the majority (75%+ in some regions) being women who, on average, are less likely to be full-time GPs after they qualify.

It's not as if this wasn't seen coming but government is never known for its longterm planning (except for nuclear bomb purchasing).

Where I am the increased workload is largely due to the aging population and our ridiculous desire to find stuff 'wrong' with people over the past 15 years meaning they come back twice a year for check-ups when they feel fine...

Whatever, gout hurts like hell and I don't like people suffering unnecessarily.

Even if they are Brexiteers ;-)
Last edited by: Lygonos on Fri 9 Sep 16 at 13:50
 Gout - Pat
Thanks Doc:)

Got 4 cartons of best quality Cherry juice coming in the morning at 8am, so there is some light on the horizon, however, what's the betting I'll be sh*****g through the eye of a needle by Sunday!

>>Even if they are Brexiteers ;-)<<

That's restored my faith in humanity.

I'm very much like that, I will 'fall out' if it can't be avoided with anyone, but if I could help them in any way I would always do so despite differences of opinion.

My Doc is female and I learned today that she only works 3 days a week, hence booking October appointments

I can never understand the Nurse appointments. I get a letter telling me I need BP and T3 & T4 blood tests once a year.

Because they run blood clinics, they never want to do my BP check there but want me to make another appointment and then every other year, yet another appointment for a 'starving' blood test.

Surely on 15 minute slot would do all three of them?

Pat

Gout - CGNorwich
Seems it is tart cherry juice - ( Montmorency) cherries that have been cited as a treatment rather than the sweet stuff you get in the supermarket You can get it on line or from Holland and Barratt.

NHS doesn't seem convinced but it's worth a try.

www.nhs.uk/news/2014/09September/Pages/Cherry-juice-touted-as-treatment-for-gout.aspx
 Gout - Clk Sec
>> Seems it is tart cherry juice - ( Montmorency) cherries that have been cited as
>> a treatment rather than the sweet stuff you get in the supermarket You can get
>> it on line or from Holland and Barratt.

It's a bit expensive from H & B, unless they have one of their frequent 'buy one get one half price' offers.

I usually buy the 946 ml size (31 servings) via Amazon. Still not cheap, though.
 Gout - henry k
>> I can never understand the Nurse appointments. I get a letter telling me I need
>> BP and T3 & T4 blood tests once a year.
>>
>> Because they run blood clinics, they never want to do my BP check there but
>> want me to make another appointment and then every other year, yet another appointment for
>> a 'starving' blood test.
>>
Just off the waiting area, my surgery has a DIY BP device.
Switch on, stick your arm in the tube/cuff, note the results.
Speeds things up.

Just like this
tinyurl.com/zclueft
 Gout - Focal Point
"No appointments at all today..."

"Monday is completely full..."

Something's not right about how this practice is managing appointments. I thought that the established way of doing it was to schedule some routine appointments in advance and keep some back for patients who contact the surgery on the day with urgent issues.

This is what my surgery does, and in addition offers a few slots from one day to two weeks in advance, bookable online.

So this week, when after playing in the first rehearsal of the season on Tuesday evening I decided that the pain in my groin which had been troubling me for a couple of weeks was possibly an inguinal hernia, I went online late after getting home and picked up an appointment for Wednesday afternoon, the following day*.

I don't know what you do now, Pat, as you may not have much choice where you live as to which practice you sign up with, but a letter to the practice manager might be in order.

You have an urgent care centre in Peterborough (City Care Centre, Thorpe Road, Peterborough, PE3 6DB), a Minor Injuries Unit in Wisbech (North Cambs Hospital, The Park, Wisbech, PE13 3AB) and others. I don't know if you can get to any of these.

I do know gout is mega-painful (neighbour across the road had it) and if you're losing sleep I think I would try to get to a doctor sooner rather than later.

*For those interested, the doc has sent me for a scan; he suspects, but cannot confirm, an early-stage hernia. It's painful, but not in the same league as gout.
 Gout - Pat
I have a minor injuries unit in the village I live FP, Doddington (I'll get told off now!) and it's open at weekends from 9-5pm so if it's no better tomorrow I will get Ian to drive me there.

We're fighting to keep that one and the Wisbech one open at the minute as they seem to want to close them down.

I'm reluctant to complain to the Practice Manager....I know it may not be my best decision but when Ian has been diagnosed and had problems with chemo my Doc has gone above and beyond to give us news, and a personal service with all the time in the world to answer questions, which we will always appreciate.

Pat
 Subtitles - NortonES2
Pat, have you tried asking for a telephone consultation with a GP? They might get you in sooner, being in a position to know the pain you're in, unlike the receptionist.
 Subtitles - Pat
I think this might be in the wrong thread and VX will have to move it:)

They did ask if I wanted a GP to and give me advice but I explained I'd been on the NHS Direct website and was doing exactly as advised on there so it wasn't really worth it.

I hadn't thought about getting an earlier appointment though.

Pat

I know Dave is everybody's favourite but there are other moderators y'know!! :-)
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 9 Sep 16 at 15:20
 Gout - Lygonos
>>We're fighting to keep that one and the Wisbech one open

All the more reason to use it!

Underused facilities are first to get the chop in a 'reorganisation'.
 Gout - Old Navy
Our medical practice is a fair size with seven doctors, and at least three nurses. It has a duty doctor who keeps a few appointments free in the afternoon to see people who think they need to see a doctor and can get past the receptionist, or will go to people in trouble at home and can't travel. They do not suffer malingerers well and I suspect you will get your computer file marked if you abuse the system. I have not used it for years but it was very effective when I needed it. Within an hour of getting up I had what I now know was rapid onset Guillian Barre syndrome. The doc was at my house within 30 minutes, he called an ambulance and I was in A&E within another 30.
 Gout - busbee
Dog: good laugh.

Gout: Me saying black grapes, was a typo. I meant cherries.

Having colchicine and Allopurinel to hand makes all the difference, as to how painful it will get. Treatment can start as soon as the gout appears.

Gout - Slidingpillar
Allopurinol is for life - once you start, you do not stop (says so on the packet...).

Lots of any liquid helps as the problem is, your body has made crystals of uric acid and some are in a joint - hence the pain. Folk who've never had it often poo poo the amount of pain it can cause, not helped by the common image of an overweight gentleman who has over indulged in port...

It is true that certain foods are held out as gout causers, but not all of us have a problem with them. Perfectly possible your excess uric acid in the blood was caused by your body just making too much of it. Not proven, but there is evidence my problem is essentially that.

Can't offer any more but you do have my sympathy as well.
 Gout - Pat
Thanks SP.

Managed a little sleep last night by draping myself elegantly on the sofa with the right leg draped over the side........and the foot in a bowl of icy cold water!

I notice some say Asparagus should be avoided and I've eaten loads of that lately. It's as cheap as chips in the Fen when it's in season and I can't resist it.

Pat
 Gout - devonite
>>I notice some say Asparagus should be avoided

I too have a soft-spot for the green spears! especially frizzled in butter n garlic!
Can't say I've noticed it make my Gout worse, but it certainly makes your Pee stink! ;-) Tomatoes and Orange juice are my two worse triggers! - Oh and Chocolate, mustn't have Chocolate!!

And definitely posting a 05.15!!!!
Last edited by: devonite on Sat 10 Sep 16 at 12:17
 Gout - henry k
>>I too have a soft-spot for the green spears!
>>....., but it certainly makes your Pee stink! ;-)
>>
Approx 20% of the population does not have this " condition"
I do but SWMBO does not.

My local PYO farm has stopped access to the fields ( due to abuse) so its now buy it off the shelf.
I miss PYO at opening time prior to the mob arriving.
 Gout - Pat
I use the tough end bit of the spear in casseroles and it gives them a lovely taste.

I was reading something the other day about food waste, but we rarely throw anything away.

Pat
 Gout - henry k
>> I was reading something the other day about food waste, but we rarely throw anything away.
>>
The usual contents of our little food caddy, tea bags meat fat and orange peel.
Sometimes fruit stones and maize cores.
All other veg bits etc to the compost bin.
( Yes I know tea bags can be composted )
 Gout - Slidingpillar
Yes I know tea bags can be composted

Not all, some bags are or have a nylon composition and thus don't break down.
 Gout - Clk Sec
>> Back at the docs I showed him some 10 year old ones that I would be taking

I politely turned down an offer of strong medication when I had a horribly painful gout episode a few years back, preferring to try less powerful over the counter painkillers. But as these proved absolutely useless, I soon hobbled back to my surgery to take them up on their earlier offer and the gout was gone within a few days.

Even though I have had no problem since, possibly due to the copious amounts of Adam's ale I now consume , I will never again be without the correct medication, and my GP was kind enough to prescribe this for me in case another attach looms in future.

If it's any consolation, I know of several people that have had this condition years ago and it has never returned.

Please send me your asparagus - my wife loves the stuff!
Last edited by: Clk Sec on Sat 10 Sep 16 at 12:18
 Gout - Pat
I can't help with the Asparagus but I have so many tomatoes I am giving them away to anyone, including the postman, on a daily basis.

Pat
 Gout - busbee
"Allopurinol is for life - once you start, you do not stop (says so on the packet...)."

Not my view or experience. My years without it supports that. I first took it over 50 years ago. My estimate is that I have had a gout period probably 10 times during those years.

Painkillers. They may stop it hurting, but do nothing to cure the problem. Which it too much uric acid in the blood that crystallizes out into joints. I avoid them when I can. You want rid of the crystals.

Gout - Pat
Naproxen, the miracle pill:)

I took one at 5.30pm last night with my meal and by 6pm It was feeling a little easer.

You'll see in another thread that we only have a downstairs bathroom and loo, so the mattress had migrated down to the lounge floor.

I decided to try it and watch TV for a bit......but I woke at 6am this morning!

My foot and leg is half the size it was, and the pain is minimal. No bones hurting in the night either so that was a bonus.

It's unheard of for me to sleep for 12 hours in one go.

Thanks so much to all the advice given to me on here, it really is invaluable to be able to tap in to experiences like we see above, and professional advice too, in an hour of need.

Let's not lose it.

Lessons learned?

Ian has the patience of a saint.
Cats can be a pain in the ar*e
Field mice look enormous when viewed on a level with them!
People do forget past differences in times of need.

The first and last one are the most important!

Pat
 Gout - Dog
>>Cats can be a pain in the ar*e

Dogs too!! .. especially when y'all have two young large breeds in the owse.

Good to hear you are feeling better (less pain) and that you had a good nights kip.
 Gout - Clk Sec
>> Naproxen, the miracle pill:)
>> It's unheard of for me to sleep for 12 hours in one go.

Yes. I have never slept as soundly or for as long as I did during the few days I took Naproxen.

A considerable cost saving was made in the loo paper department, too.

Glad you are feeling better. Best foot forward, etc.
 Gout - Slidingpillar
While as said earlier there are possible problems with many painkillers in that class, the fact remains they work by reducing the inflammation, hence being called anti inflammatory.

The class that paracetamol belongs to just target the pain, so if you move, and the pain moves a bit too, the new pain site not being targeted now hurts.

Opiates - which can be added to paracetamol ie co-codamol etc do work but can you deal with side effects - constipation?

Very non-medical explanation, but that's why naproxen works and paracetamol doesn't.
 Gout - Dog
>>they work by reducing the inflammation, hence being called anti inflammatory.

Turmeric/Curcumin too:

www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/18/turmeric-health-benefits-curcumin_n_5978482.html
 Gout - Focal Point
Glad you got some sleep, Pat, and glad your pain and swelling are reduced.
Last edited by: Focal Point on Sun 11 Sep 16 at 12:11
 Gout - slowdown avenue
my pal ,went to his docs with your ailment. he explained his pain. then the doctor shouted GOUT.
So my pal turned on his heels and made for the door
 Gout - Ambo
Does cherry juice help with arthritis?
 Gout - Dog
Give it a go ambo (I'm a poet AND I know it) yoos got nothing to lose, except a tenner:

www.amazon.co.uk/Optima-Montmorency-Cherry-Juice-Concentrate/dp/B00G6LSCES/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1473935261&sr=8-1&keywords=tart+cherry+juice#Ask
 Gout - John Boy
>> Does cherry juice help with arthritis?

I used to know someone who had arthritis in her hands. She claimed that celery juice had helped more than anything else. If you look on Google, I think you'll find more recommendations for celery juice than cherry juice in this respect.
 Gout - bathtub tom
>> Does cherry juice help with arthritis?

I know someone who picks the nettle leaves they wrap that Cornish Yarg cheese with. Swears the nettle stings are beneficial for their arthritis.
 Gout - helicopter
Good job your friend didn't have a cough....
 Gout - Ambo
Thanks for leads to cherry and celery juices. By coincidence, I have just received details of an osteopathy appointment for my trigger fingers so will raise the possibilities then.
 Gout - Clk Sec
ambo
I take cherry juice concentrate to (hopefully) keep gout at bay. Some say it also helps to lower blood pressure, but I don't really know about that.

My trigger fingers that haven't yet had the benefit of injections are still triggering, but I hadn't thought of the cherry juice angle in that respect until you mentioned it.
 Gout - John Boy
As far as arthritis is concerned, this website seems to have an amazing amount of information:
www.arthritisresearchuk.org/
 Gout - Pat
Quick update.

I finally saw my Doc for the first time in 9 years a week ago and she ordered a blood test for Uric acid.

I had a call from her yesterday to say there are some traces of Uric acid but it's very low, so it may well be that I never get it again and no preventative medication is needed unless I have another bout.

She's OK'd the Naproxen in an emergency only, no more than three doses, to be taken in the middle of a meal.

Let's hope it's another nine years before I see her again!

Pat
 Gout - busbee
I have Colchicine tablets and allopurinol ones ready for use if I need them. And they work.

An inflammatory drug may reduce inflammation but it is not going to get rid of the cause, the uric acid crystals. I suspect the xtals can also damage the joints.

I see all the adverts on the telly for pain killers for joint pains. Again, they do not cure the causes.

However, doctors can be very difficult when asked to provide something on the patients say so. They protect their backs. No evidence, no provide-e.

However, if you need colchicine in a hurry, you could try an accident and emergency hospital.
I did that once. They gave me twelve tablets and that was enough for one bout. I finally twisted the docs arm for some more to have in reserve.
 Gout - CGNorwich
I stand to be corrected but I believe Colchicine no more cures the causes of gout than do NSAIDs. It simply relieves the symptoms for which of course any sufferer will be eternally grateful.
 Gout - Pat
>>However, doctors can be very difficult when asked to provide something on the patients say so. <<

I made it clear I was only there on the orders of the walk in centre I had to visit and she's well aware of my reluctance to take any medication if it can be avoided.

Incidentally I had a Reiki drum session last week and that picked it up straight away.

Pat
 Gout - busbee
A useful reference for Gout and colchicine including when not to take it:

www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/gout/treatments.aspx

10 colchicine tablets weigh ~0.5 gram. Small but potent.

Gout - CGNorwich
Interestingly the drug, like so many, is derived from a plant, the Autumn Crocus sometimes known as Naked Ladies.

The flowers are very pretty but the corms are deadly poisonous.
Latest Forum Posts