Non-motoring > One of Corrie's favourites has passed away.... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuartli Replies: 14

One of Corrie's favourites has passed away.... - Stuartli
Sad news today that the wonderful actress Jean Alexander, who played Hilda Ogden in Coronation Street, has passed away at the age of 90 in my town's local hospital.

Jean, who also appeared in Last of the Summer Wine, enjoyed very strong connections with my town and had many, many friends in the area.

Tributes are already pouring in from far and wide to the actress, who played a major role in making Coronation Street UK television's most successful and enduring soap opera.

One of Corrie's favourites has passed away.... - VxFan
I thought she died years ago.

I can briefly remember her in LoTSW. Back in the day when I used to watch Corri, I can remember her, hubby Stan, and Eddie their lodger, and of course the 3 ducks on the wall.
 One of Corrie's favourites has passed away.... - The Melting Snowman
I thought she died years ago as well. Vivian Gray also passed away a short while ago - the awesome Mrs Mangel from Neighbours.
 One of Corrie's favourites has passed away.... - Dog
>>I thought she died years ago.

You're thinking of Martha Longhurst ;-)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=84MUlINrcjw
 One of Corrie's favourites has passed away.... - Roger.
My bit of virtue signalling for the day - I never watch any of the soaps!
Repetitive, boring and full of unlovely people.
Unfortunately SWMBO thinks otherwise, so for long periods the TV is monopolised by the genre, so I, perforce, pick up snippets.
I think that the scripts are recycled between the various soaps and TBH, they seem fully interchangeable.
The only differing factor I can see is that the female characters on Emmerdale are the best looking!
My missus watches quite a few soaps, certainly Emmerdate, Eastenders and Corrie. I am sure there are others. I always know when a soap is imminent as everything comes to a halt in the house in preparation for the programme, the phone is switched to Answerphone mode for example. When she used to work, there could be a crisis at the office or factory - it would have to wait. When the theme tunes start, I vacate to my workshop where I usually have a few projects to work on.
I used to be soapy as I've watched all ovvem - on a regular basis too at one time inc. Crossroads / Brookside / General Horsepiddle etc. etc. etc..

But (and itsa BIG but) I haven't watched any for nigh on 30 years!
Last edited by: Dog on Sun 16 Oct 16 at 11:26
 One of Corrie's favourites has passed away.... - sooty123
>> My bit of virtue signalling

What a quaint phrase.

>> Unfortunately SWMBO thinks otherwise

There does seem to be a theme, I wonder why it mainly, but not wholely, appeal to women?
 One of Corrie's favourites has passed away.... - CGNorwich
Women are more social creatures than men and enjoy prgrammea with social interaction. Men tend to prefer things to people.

Gross simplification of course.
Quite possibly so, I think we tend to be much more solitary than women.
 One of Corrie's favourites has passed away.... - Pat
Not this one you don't!

I've just been out walking in the pouring rain simply because I don't have to meet anyone, don't have to talk to anyone and I can listen to the raindrops and silence.

Perfection.

Pat
Neither my missus. If a soap is on, you need a very good reason to disturb her. Rottweiler with a bad temper doesn't get near.
Broadbrush strokes, just broadbrush stokes.
>>I've just been out walking in the pouring rain simply because I don't have to meet anyone, don't have to talk to anyone and I can listen to the raindrops and silence.

You better move down here Pat. I mean, seriously.

:)
 One of Corrie's favourites has passed away.... - mikeyb

>> The only differing factor I can see is that the female characters on Emmerdale are
>> the best looking!
>>

Try Hollyoaks.......

I have really watched any of them for about 14 years since my eldest was born - far more better things to be doing with my time - luckily, Mrs B feels the same
Latest Forum Posts