Non-motoring > Looking to buy cheap second smartphone Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate II Replies: 27

Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - Dulwich Estate II
My own iPhone 5S is locked to the network in UK and I'm quite content with it and don't want to mess about unlocking it and changng sims.

For foreign travel, more and more of it recently, I'm in need of a basic but reasonable smartphone that will take a local PAYG sim. The plan is to use it in South Africa, USA and Canada for starters. It'll be for local calls, very occasional web stuff/email to confirm/find accommodation and so on.

Do I buy new or s/h off eBay ? iPhone, android or Windows ? I suppose 4G is important.

I don't really want to spend more than 30 quid but would go up to maybe £50. Is this realistic?

Questions, questions . . . .
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - Falkirk Bairn
Blackberry z10 - 4G - just changed mine for an Iphone 6 - whats app no longer works
& I would miss the grandkids photos - hence the change.

It will be more than £30 in all probability but built to a high standard.

My wife has a MS /Nokia windows phone - it again works well & was only £80 new so should be in your £30 range 2nd hand.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - Old Navy
I don't know enough about smartphones to recommend anything specific, but CEX have a range of used phones.

uk.webuy.com
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - Stuartli
>> ... but CEX have a range of used phones.>>

....and may well have a retail outlet in or near where you live.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - Manatee
>> My own iPhone 5S is locked to the network in UK

That doesn't stop it roaming.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - mikeyb
Get yourself over to Amazon and pick one of the cheap Chinese jobies. Got Mrs B a Cubot last year after she broke to Sony Xperia's in quick succession.

Its actually fine and does all she wants
">> My own iPhone 5S is locked to the network in UK

That doesn't stop it roaming. "

Which is more or less fine in Europe as far as prices go. I do just this in the EU. However, unless you are a lottery winner, roaming outside Europe can be very, very expensive.
All tips most welcome - I'll start with Amazon.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - rtj70
When you're out of the UK you are obviously intending using a provider for calls other than your usual for cost reasons. In the EU roaming is fine. So your iPhone will be off or for emergencies only... etc.? So how about:

- SIM from iPhone put in a cheap phone (using an adapter for the SIM)
- The iPhone is used with a SIM wherever you go - might need unlocking from the current network

Seems pointless getting another smartphone of any kind and not using the one you have.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - movilogo
>> or foreign travel, more and more of it recently, I'm in need of a basic but reasonable smartphone

I use Moto G4+ dual SIM. Ideal for these situations. I have used it with local SIM where still kept my UK SIM inside it.

Just be careful you don't end up using UK SIM accidentally while abroad (as it would cause a hefty charge). The phone can help you prevent such mishaps :-)

Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - madf
I bought an Iphone 4s - upgraded it to the latest IOS. Works perfectly.
£50 delivered ebay.

No new OS required - easy transfer across data, battery life fine..
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - VxFan
>> I bought an Iphone 4s - upgraded it to the latest IOS.

An iPhone 4S won't have the latest iOS on it. The latest iOS on it will be 9.3 and that'll be the last update available for it. Only the iPhone 5 onwards is capable of supporting iOS 10.1

www.cnet.com/uk/news/iphone-4s-wont-work-with-ios-10/
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - madf
>> >> I bought an Iphone 4s - upgraded it to the latest IOS.
>>
>> An iPhone 4S won't have the latest iOS on it. The latest iOS on it
>> will be 9.3 and that'll be the last update available for it. Only the iPhone
>> 5 onwards is capable of supporting iOS 10.1
>>
>> www.cnet.com/uk/news/iphone-4s-wont-work-with-ios-10/
>>

Ooops yes: 9.3.5 IOS

Thanks for the correction.
"I bought an Iphone 4s - ............... Works perfectly.
£50 delivered ebay."

This is the kind of thing I want.

PS rtj70 - I don't want to mess about getting my phone unlocked and moving sim cards about. I would like to have the ability to maintain continuous contact from UK on one, not two separate numbers. Knowing me I'd end up leaving the wrong card in. Also, what about call backs from newly made contacts abroad when the wrong sim is installed ?

It has to be 2 phones or a dual sim one. A cheap alternative one is what I need.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - rtj70
For when you're overseas a dual SIM Android phone might be more convenient - apart from swapping your SIM before you travel. Do you want to carry two smartphones?
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - R.P.
www.wileyfox.com/

As mentioned before. Tactile and smooth. Not as good as an iPhone but does all you need with Dual SIMs
Sorted !

Alcatel Pixi 3 4.5 4G phone, new from Argos (of all places).

£40.00 less £10.00 Money Back Voucher plus £10 EE Top-Up. It's locked to EE, but it can be unlocked by them for free - now in progress.

The reviews look good.

If you want, Argos will sell you the Vodaphone version for even less, but I didn't fancy using the Vodafone so called customer service for unlocking.
I should add:

"The reviews look good" for my purpose, that is .....

....a cheap phone to use abroad mainly to talk to people (in case smartphone users don't understand this statement I'll explain . . . you call a number of someone you know or a hotel or a restaurant and after a while the person answers "hello" or something similar. At this point you respond by opening your mouth and you just talk into your phone and hear the other person's voice in your ear. Amazing really.

The phone also runs Apps OK but sometimes a little slowly. The dodgy camera is superfluous to my needs. WiFi is OK though.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - MD
Good morning Dulwich,

I would be interested to know if EE do unlock your phone for free or otherwise.

Regards.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - BrianByPass
>> I would be interested to know if EE do unlock your phone for free or otherwise.
>>

Since it PAYG, it may technically be classed "out of contract".

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=23287&m=515665
"all mobile phone providers in the UK will now waiver fees for unlocking out-of-contract mobiles"
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Sun 6 Nov 16 at 17:03
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - sooty123
....a cheap phone to use abroad mainly to talk to people (in case smartphone users don't understand this statement I'll explain . . . you call a number of someone
>> you know or a hotel or a restaurant and after a while the person answers
>> "hello" or something similar. At this point you respond by opening your mouth and you
>> just talk into your phone and hear the other person's voice in your ear. Amazing
>> really.

Nothing like a bit of sarcasm eh?

;)
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - CGNorwich
Thought you were looking for a cheap smartphone like it said in the heading. There are lots of cheap phones about if that's all you want and you don't want a smart one.
Yes CGNorwich - I did want a cheap smartphone. I was in a (most unusual for me) playful mood.

I go abroad (outside the EU) quite a bit now and every now and then feel it would be useful to have a little mobile internet when out and about. Wifi in hotels, cafes and so on usually does just fine, but sometimes it could be handy on the road and the roaming rates for a UK network phone outside the EU can be ridiculously high. The idea will be to get a local PAYG sim when needed. This way my UK phone and number still works and I can still be easily contacted from home on it in case of emergency.

MD - EE (and others) don't charge for unlocking a PAYG phone. I had to register with EE and then called their customer services number (@25p I'll have you know !). The chap took all the details, checked the phone on the blacklist as he called it, asked for the phone's IMEE (?) number and said I'd get an email within 10 days. Supposedly this email will give a link to the unlock code.

I have played about with the new cheapo phone and seems to work well. It's not too sturdy though and I suspect dropping it from about 10cm high will be enough to knock the back off. After 24 hours, one long call to EE and testing out the functions has left me with 75% battery, so that's good enough too.

I will update you when I know more about the unlocking.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - Falkirk Bairn
Seems a lot of bother phoning, awaiting a code etc etc when a backstreet telephone shop will do it in 5 mins & charge a few quid.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - MD
Not always FB.
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - Roger.
>> Seems a lot of bother phoning, awaiting a code etc etc when a backstreet telephone
>> shop will do it in 5 mins & charge a few quid.
>>

I got my Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 unlock code on eBay for a tad over one and a half quid. The code came by email within 30 minutes.
Now happily on Talkmobile, which runs on the Vodafone network (3G only).
Last edited by: Roger. on Sun 6 Nov 16 at 21:25
 Looking to buy cheap second smartphone - Stuartli
>>..but I didn't fancy using the Vodafone so called customer service for unlocking.>>

I bought a new HTC M8 on eBay that was locked to Vodaphone a couple of years ago and my local Vodaphone outlet didn't quibble in any way about supplying the Unlock code for a modest charge (I use GiffGaff).
Last edited by: Stuartli on Mon 7 Nov 16 at 00:23
Update for MD . . . .

After 6 days EE sent me an email with the unlocking code and 10 minutes later the phone is now unlocked. Total price 25p for the call and 15 minutes on phone to EE last week.
Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Fri 11 Nov 16 at 18:56
Latest Forum Posts