Non-motoring > John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 16

John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - rtj70
This is an A-level students attempt earlier this year at a John Lewis style xmas advert.... it's fooled lots of people and very good it is. I wonder when the real John Lewis advert is out:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kuNB-exddM
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - Harleyman
I much prefer Amateur Transplants spoof; WARNING this is NOT suitable for the easily offended!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro7KU_PnYSU
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - legacylad
Also the ' Swearytale of New York' spoof by the same people....
Title says it all. Very naughty language
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - sooty123
Meh it was okay, should have been half the length it was, would've been enough.
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - Harleyman
Anyone who's ever travelled on the Tube should (provided they're broad-minded) check out their "London Underground" skit; very coarse but also very topical.
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - ChrisM
"I wonder when the real John Lewis advert is out"

Tonight. I guess during the Zzzzz Factor.
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - Roger.
Just seen the Aldi Christmas advert. it's a funny one featuring a carrot!
#kevinthecarrot.
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - Pat
www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr6lr_VRsEo

Here it is and it's an inevitable winner for me:)

Pat
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - Crankcase
I haven't watched it, but its interesting they feel they need to do it.

Surely the segment of the population that buy stuff in John Lewis already are just going to buy stuff in John Lewis this Christmas. The segment that don't, aren't.

So that leaves us with the "undecideds". Are there really enough people who aren't quite sure whether they will nip to John Lewis or Marks for that Christmas jumper to be persuaded, and if there are, will they as a segment ever spend enough money to make even a tiny dent in however many millions it costs for a Christmas ad?

Is it possible there are potential shoppers who've never heard of JL and need to be told? There must be six of those.

And I can't believe those who are already converted will suddenly think, oh, I'll spend twice as much because I saw an advert, so they won't add anything.

Still, I guess JL do their sums and the answer must be yes, it makes them money or adds to brand value somehow, or they wouldn't bother.
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - Manatee
Nobody needs to go out and spend all that money at Christmas. We need to be made to feel good about it.

Didn't quite hit the spot with me, owing to not being a fan of horrible slobbery dogs and foxes I expect. And the badgers claws would have been straight through that trampoline.
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - mikeyb
>> Still, I guess JL do their sums and the answer must be yes, it makes
>> them money or adds to brand value somehow, or they wouldn't bother.
>>

I think its more about brand value and expectation than anything else - I cant really see it makes a massive difference to sales, and the cost of this campaign was £6m last year IIRC. You need to sell a lot of socks just to recover those kind of outlays
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 10 Nov 16 at 10:10
I rather think New Puritanism* will be the upcoming thing. Like green hairshirtery.

So maybe if a big company were to say "we COULD spend millions trying to make you buy baubles you don't need, or we could spend that instead on labelling products so you know how many oil miles/raw materials are in them", they might set a trend and Be First in their field.

*You heard it here first, oh bother, don't google it, something called Neo Puritanism is out there and looks unpleasant. Let's call it "post-consumerist societal re-evaluation" or something instead
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - VxFan
As pointed out on the local radio this morning. Who in their right mind would try assembling an outdoor trampoline in the middle of winter? And who in their right mind would be using an outdoor trampoline in the middle of winter, apart from a few wild animals and a jealous dog?

My niece's outdoor trampoline was sheeted down back in September, and will stay that way until at least next May.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 10 Nov 16 at 10:14
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - Pat
Bah Humbug to the lot of you.

Pat
 John Lewis Xmas Advert... Not - Manatee
>> Bah Humbug to the lot of you.

Thanks Pat;)
Ah, but offered the choice, is it a humbug, an Everton mint or a bullseye you pick. What DO you do?
 John Lewis Xmas Advert - Duncan
Boxer watching John Lewis ad

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PLPMgpGWmc
Latest Forum Posts