Non-motoring > Paywalls. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Roger. Replies: 29

Paywalls. - Roger.
Grr - the Telegraph is joining the subscription paywall scheme for almost every opinion 7 analysis article as opposed to the bare news, which remains accessible.
One has to log-in with user name and password.
They must have finally tumbled to how easy it was just to clear specific cookies with Ccleaner :-(
Oh well -my browser home page is now The Express. Pity.
 Paywalls. - Dog
It's only 2 knicker per week, so wossat, about £8 pm or thereabouts. I've been thinking about going for it.

I'm still thinking :)
 Paywalls. - CGNorwich
£6 if you want the full online edition of the newspaper. Still cheap. If we are to continue to have newspapers we are going to have to get used to paying for them.
 Paywalls. - Manatee
I do newspapers at the local community shop on Saturday mornings.

You are clearly an intelligent man Roger. I can't see you being happy with the Express, and it will do nothing helpful for your blood pressure if you do pay any attention to it.

Let us know how it goes!
 Paywalls. - sooty123
Get your hand in your pocket you tight so and so.

;)
 Paywalls. - Roger.
>> Get your hand in your pocket you tight so and so.
>>
>> ;)
>>
I never carry money on me either in my pocket or in my wallet.
 Paywalls. - Bobby
>>I never carry money on me either in my pocket or in my wallet.

why not??
 Paywalls. - sooty123
>> I never carry money on me either in my pocket or in my wallet.
>>

Well don't expect something for nothing then!
 Paywalls. - Bobby
Its a good number of years since I last bought a newspaper and I certainly wouldn't pay to read one online either.

Plenty of "free" news sources available online so why pay to get the same information in most cases?

Same way I won't pay Sky or BT for football coverage - can get it for free online. Or pay my club direct to watch it.

free= licence fee money or on-site advertising that is ultimately paid for by us consumers anyway.
 Paywalls. - Dog
There are some good articles in the Torygraph, such as this one, which is only accessible if you cough up the spondulics:

www.telegraph.co.uk/wellbeing/diet/what-you-should-really-be-eating-to-protect-yourself-against-dem/
 Paywalls. - helicopter
I have just renewed the Telegraph and ST annual subscription this month.

£385 for a year works out at just £ 1.04 a day.

I consider that good value .I have the paper delivered and have already finished my morning pleasure of a read through of the main paper in bed with a cup of tea, now about to head for the gym and then will move on read the business and sport with breakfast later.

It is terrible being retired...

Paywalls. - Roger.
I have a social secretary to carry money!
 Paywalls. - CGNorwich
Not allowed out by yourself then? :-)
 Paywalls. - Falkirk Bairn
There is saving money e,g, challenging an Insurance Co on house / car premium - saving ££s & feeling good in the process..

Then there is depriving yourself or your family of something you can afford which would be of benefit to yourself, you could enjoy, etc etc

I remember a writer to Telegraph letters saying she had had a smart meter intalled & found it cost 60p! She vowed to give up a daily bath & bathe twice a week...............

I spend £112 month with Sky - TV, Telephone & BB - a lot of cash but as I cannot go easily to football (walking problems), I watch 2/3 films per month, the grandkids like Disney & Cinema - it's my 2nd biggest DD after Council Tax!

£8 to the Telegraph is great value.
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Mon 7 Nov 16 at 10:09
 Paywalls. - movilogo
IMHO traditional newspaper is an archaic concept.

There was a time when people would not get the news without newspapers. In modern always-connected-to-internet era, people get news as these are generated - often faster newspapers update their websites.

Many newspapers now buy the news from same local agencies. The editorial etc. are often biased view to suit political view of their owners.

Also, I am not sure if paywall feature actually helps the newspapers. It seriously reduces their reader count and thus make them unpopular and possibly irrelvant in the long run.
 Paywalls. - madf
Telegraph Paywall is an irrelevance to the technically illiterate like me who use Chrome incognito for browsing and clear their cache of the odd cookies..
 Paywalls. - Stuu
I feel your pain Roger, but I have just moved onto other sources.

I have found CapX, Heat Street and Reaction to be interesting alternatives, not to mention currently free.
 Paywalls. - Roger.
Well, when one has to manage on a combined income of around £17k per annum (No secrets in my case about money!) priorities count. A car and decent internet come far and away above SKY and other paid entertainment, including on-line news etc.
We send £25 a month to our daughter to help with school costs and from time to time make lump sums available so that our grandchildren do not miss out on too many school trips & outside activities.
We are profoundly grateful that our grandchildren have this educational opportunity: know how tightly our daughter & S.I.L. have to budget to pay their share, so that is OUR priority.
 Paywalls. - Falkirk Bairn
I can sympathise with your daughter & SiL - bringing up kids is EXPENSIVE.

Our first arrived sooner than expected. 2nd time (planned) we got a BOGOF offer - twins - NOW that was drastic but fortunately got a new job, doubled my salary in just 2 years & that was great.

Big problem 17 years later 3 @ Uni at same time - hard times again!

OK now retired & although income drop was huge, expenses contracted at same time - Happy days!
 Paywalls. - henry k
>> I can sympathise with your daughter & SiL - bringing up kids is EXPENSIVE.
>>
>> Big problem 17 years later 3 @ Uni at same time - hard times again!
>>
I had a similar expenses but my daughter did six years at a London Med school while my son was at Uni only 60 miles away/ 75mins. Surprisingly, I did an awful lot of commuting to from Uni due to changing from one room to another, twice a term plus other "support" trips.
I enjoyed meeting all their friends and still do seen some now and then.
Great memories from thst time.

>> OK now retired & although income drop was huge, expenses contracted at same time -
>>
I chose to retire early while extra funds were on offer but took a lump sum due to concerns re the last two years funding and awaiting the state pension top up.
 Paywalls. - Manatee
>> Telegraph Paywall is an irrelevance to the technically illiterate like me who use Chrome incognito
>> for browsing and clear their cache of the odd cookies..

I am inferring that is no longer the case. You have to be registered and signed in. If you pay, you get everything. If not, you get access to less than everything. I haven't tested that fully, but it is certainly asking me to sign in.

I take the point about false or illogical economies etc., but £400 a year for that tripe was too much for me. If one enjoys it of course, that's fine.

I don't think there are any good newspapers now. The Times and the Grauniad are probably the best of a bad lot. It's uneconomic to do it properly, and they are all full of low-quality 'features', flip comments labelled "analysis", adverts in the form of "fashion", "travel" etc., and poorly written daily/weekly columns about nothing much.

'i' is now £20.15 per quarter by DD, and is enough for me. That has its share of twaddle too, but as often as not I don't get any further than the lead items and the crossword and it takes up less room in the recycling bin. A lot less than the Telegraph, which I have the joy of assembling 30 or so copies of on Saturday mornings. The finished pile is over 2 feet high, and seems to grow a bit every week.
 Paywalls. - Mapmaker
I've been reading the Telegraph on my iPhone for a couple of years now. Don't miss the physical newspaper one bit.
 Paywalls. - commerdriver
>> A lot less than the Telegraph, which I have the joy of assembling
>> 30 or so copies of on Saturday mornings. The finished pile is over 2 feet
>> high, and seems to grow a bit every week.
>>
Tell me about it, my younger lad had 10 copies on his paper round a few years back, every Saturday and Sunday he had to have a trolley (or a lift from Dad :-), especially on Saturdays when he had swimming club practice at 7am)
 Paywalls. - madf
>> I am inferring that is no longer the case. You have to be registered and
>> signed in. If you pay, you get everything. If not, you get access to less
>> than everything. I haven't tested that fully, but it is certainly asking me to sign
>> in.

Still works for me.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 8 Nov 16 at 01:21
 Paywalls. - Manatee
Working for me now in an incognito window. As you were.
 Paywalls. - Manatee
...although, it won't let me read the 'premium' dementia article, which I had forgotten about:)
 Paywalls. - Dog
I did mention that earlier.

I think I mentioned that earlier.

Didn't someone mention that earlier.

Hal, my mind is going...
 Paywalls. - BrianByPass
>> Working for me now in an incognito window. As you were.
>>

Doesn't for me for "premium" marked content. Shows three or four paragraphs, then this message:

Subscribe now for full access
Premium /£2 per week
30-day free trial, cancel anytime
Unlimited Premium articles
Exclusive Subscriber Events
Enjoy Telegraph Rewards including free Google Play Music
Comment on articles
Newsletters and daily briefings
Complimentary digital access to The Washington Post

OR
or register to continue reading
Register / free
No Payment details required
One Premium article per week
Newsletters and daily briefings
Comment on articles

It seems they have opened up comments to paying customers - that avoids the problem they had with nasty comments by anonymous trolls.
Last edited by: BrianByPass on Mon 7 Nov 16 at 19:32
 Paywalls. - Roger.
From Guido Fawkes' site;

order-order.com/2016/11/07/losing-faith-telegraph/

Some of the comments about the paper's journalism and content ring very true.
 Paywalls. - madf
>> From Guido Fawkes' site;
>>
>> order-order.com/2016/11/07/losing-faith-telegraph/
>>
>> Some of the comments about the paper's journalism and content ring very true.
>>

Most of the few comments I read about its business models seem to me written by people who have no clue and don't read the Telegraph :-)

"Image result for daily telegraph profits
Telegraph Reporters.
3 September 2016 • 12:05am.
Telegraph Media Group (TMG), the publisher of The Daily Telegraph, The Sunday Telegraph and Telegraph.co.uk, has reported an operating profit before exceptional items of £51.7m for 2015."

It is one of the few profitable papers like the Faily Mail which makes money..Unlike the Guardian which:

"Guardian's losses hit £69m but it gains more than 50,000 paying members
Publisher faces tough print and digital ad markets as asset writedown leads to total loss of £173m for group"

I agree with the comments about the journalism though..
Last edited by: madf on Tue 8 Nov 16 at 12:26
Latest Forum Posts