Non-motoring > Occupied Hotel Room Miscellaneous
Thread Author: zippy Replies: 15

Occupied Hotel Room - zippy
So I am travel about 200 miles to my medium grade hotel (legal sounding name) and get my room card, get to the room and find in it a suitcase, clothes personal things belonging to a woman.

Luckily there was no one in the room!

Reception apologies profusely and upgrade me - nice room with Sky Movies, mini bar and complimentary drinks.

I insisted that they confirm that the room is in fact supposed to be occupied (it is, the occupant was having dinner) because otherwise there would be a huge unaccompanied suitcase right in the middle of the financial district of a medium sized city.

Thing is, this isn't the first time this has happened to me. A month ago in Belfast - but the room was occupied - very embarrassing for the poor couple!
 Occupied Hotel Room - Dog
- - - unluckily there was no one in the room!
 Occupied Hotel Room - MD
Menage a Trois!
>> Menage a Trois!
>>

They were a little too grey for me!
 Occupied Hotel Room - Mike H
We got to our pre-booked chain hotel in France late one night after a hard day's driving, one of those where you put the credit card in and get a room number and a code. Manager disappears at 7pm, this was around 11pm. When we got to the room, found that it was as the previous occupant had left it - luckily no occupant! We had no choice but to buy another room with the credit card. The manager was apologetic and sorted out the paperwork for us to get a refund, but it took a few weeks.
>> one of those where you put the credit card in and get a room number and a code.
>> Manager disappears at 7pm, this was around 11pm.

I avoid those types of hotels as I don't like there being no one on call in case of emergency (noisy other guests etc.).
>> I avoid those types of hotels as I don't like there being no one on
>> call in case of emergency (noisy other guests etc.).
>>
Never had a problem at this one, it's an Accor Budget on the outskirts of Lille, we've stayed there a number of times in the past, in fact the manager recognizes us and always takes care to personally greet us. It's OK for just a bed, and the breakfast is passable. Coffee used to be good but in the interests of cost cutting they've switched to a cheaper brand which isn't great.

But I agree, the past is no guide to the future as they say.
Just remembered that we nearly did have an unwanted accidental visitor in our hotel room in Denmark one night. A group of revellers came back and were trying to get the key into the lock on our room door - not out of mischief, but it was one of those hotels where all the floors looked the same and he'd mistaken which floor he was on before realising.
 Occupied Hotel Room - legacylad
Easily done. I've staggered home from my village local and tried to get into both my adjoining neighbours houses within the past year. And one neighbour has two big Alsations barking their heads off which I mistook for my Lakeland.
How we laughed
 Occupied Hotel Room - sooty123
We once stopped in Edinburgh went out for the day, when we came back to our apartment we had rented for a couple of nights, all our things had been packed up and/or binned. Some how they'd got the date wrong for us leaving. Manager immediately replaced everything and got us a large hamper. All sorted within an hour, the manager was excellent in sorting it out.
None of this contact our customer service line and they'll reply with 28 working days rubbish.
 Occupied Hotel Room - bathtub tom
Many years ago I stopped in an hotel nearly opposite Euston station.

Whilst SWMBO was having a shower some complete stranger let himself into our room with his pass card. He apologised and promptly left.

I met him shortly after at the reception, where a young girl was trying to explain 'we treat security very seriously'. She soon left in tears!

I've never had a HOLIDAY IN Near countries since.

John Peel said something similar and died shortly after.........................................................
 Occupied Hotel Room - smokie
Happened to me once, at the time I was a Platinum cardholder at Holiday Inn and was supposed to get free automatic room upgrades.

Sullen mare on reception told me they had no upgrade rooms available and gave me the card to my room.

Arrived at the room only to find someone else's clothes and belongings all over it. Person not there though.

When I went back and complained to the manager, surprisingly an upgrade room had become available...
>>Happened to me once, at the time I was a Platinum cardholder at Holiday Inn and was supposed to get free automatic room upgrades

I used to be a Platinum member and rarely got an upgrade, even when in a hotel that was clearly not busy!
 Occupied Hotel Room - smokie
I used many of the points I got on leisure trips to the States, and used the last of them in the past couple of weeks, in 3 separate hotels. Even though I am now just lowly Bronze, each time I was welcomed as a "club member" and given a goody bag. In general, they do that kind of thing much better over there.
 Occupied Hotel Room - mikeyb
>> I used to be a Platinum member and rarely got an upgrade, even when in
>> a hotel that was clearly not busy!
>>

Same here!
 Occupied Hotel Room - Fursty Ferret
Happened to me last week in France. I always throw the deadbolt when I'm in the room for exactly this reason.

There has been the occasional time I've forgotten which room I'm in - and once which hotel - but it's a lot easier with NFC room keys to quietly make your way down the corridor until one lock flashes green and lets you in.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Wed 9 Nov 16 at 14:51
Latest Forum Posts