Non-motoring > One's home needs refurbishment Miscellaneous
Thread Author: The Melting Snowman Replies: 14

One's home needs refurbishment - The Melting Snowman
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38025513

Maybe the Duke of Edinburgh has inspected the electrics.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Fri 18 Nov 16 at 16:41
 One's home needs refurbishment - CGNorwich
I guess that whoever lives there the work needs to be done. The cost is peanuts compared with that for the Houses of Parliament rebuild which is currently estimated ar around £5 billion pounds.

Costs likely to soar for both projects if we send all the Polish builders home :-)

One's home needs refurbishment - Dutchie
The contractors will be milking these projects for all it's worth.Government (Our) money,>:)

Can't get my head around this.Watching the news, little kids in total despair in Syria.What a weird world we live in.
 One's home needs refurbishment - Falkirk Bairn
Get the BBC DIYSOS crowd - re-wiring/re-plumbing might take more than the usual week or two!
 One's home needs refurbishment - Fullchat
So who does the Palace belong to??
>> So who does the Palace belong to??
>>
The Crown Estate. It's neither owned by the govemment nor is it the personal estate of the Crown. The Queen has the right to reside there but could not for example sell it.
Some interesting info from the Crown Estate website.

www.thecrownestate.co.uk/our-business/faqs/#royalfamilyinvolved

The Crown Estate contributed over £300 million to the treasury last year.
 One's home needs refurbishment - Ian (Cape Town)
Interesting.
was watching The Crown the other day, and there was one scene where the cooks were preparing the King's (George VI) breakfast in a decrepit kitchen, with mice in evidence.
 One's home needs refurbishment - legacylad
Don't suppose that was The Old Crown down Ivegate in Bradford? The strippers I saw there scared off all the mice.
 One's home needs refurbishment - VxFan
I can't see why it can't be opened all year round as a tourist attraction instead of the 6 or 7 weeks of the year that it's currently opened.

Surely the extra revenue raised would go some way toward the refurbishment costs?
Because it's the Queen's private residence?
 One's home needs refurbishment - VxFan
Yes, one of many.

Plus it's not as if the whole of Buck House is open to the public when the tours are actually available. Surely she can go hide oneself in one of the areas not open to the public?

Or go on another jolly abroad somewhere at the tax payers expense, as she does now.
 One's home needs refurbishment - The Melting Snowman
The cost of the refurbishments amount to the equivalent of about two days' interest on the UK deficit. Sort of puts things into perspective.
Last edited by: The Melting Snowman on Sat 19 Nov 16 at 18:13
 One's home needs refurbishment - Roger.
Yeah - the size of our deficit - that DOES need putting into perspective.
 One's home needs refurbishment - Cliff Pope
>> I can't see why it can't be opened all year round as a tourist attraction
>> instead of the 6 or 7 weeks of the year that it's currently opened.
>

Perhaps half the attraction is because the queen lives there?

If she moved into a suburban semi and the palace was converted into affordable workers' flats, may be no one would want to go and see it?
Latest Forum Posts