Non-motoring > Taking in parcels for neighbours Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dulwich Estate II Replies: 41

Taking in parcels for neighbours - Dulwich Estate II
I did, but don't anymore.

The neighbours often don't bother to come around for a few days and need to be chased. They order the stuff but don't make arrangements to be in to receive it.

Last week I turned away 5, yes 5 separate deliveries in 6 days.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - CGNorwich

>> The neighbours often don't bother to come around for a few days and need to
>> be chased.

Don't you take it round then? I often take in parcels for my neighbour and take them round when they return. They do the same for me. No big deal really
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Bromptonaut
>> Don't you take it round then? I often take in parcels for my neighbour and
>> take them round when they return. They do the same for me. No big deal
>> really

That's what happens here. Eight houses round head of a cul de sac with six of us still original occupiers from new in 1998. Three houses occupied by semi or wholly retired.

If I see a courier looking lost I'll offer to take package in.

Either I deliver or consignee knocks on my door; depends who clicks first.

Wouldn't dream of declining anything unless I was VERY suspicious.

Maybe a village v town thing.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Roger.
We, retired, are the local drop-off point for a good few of our neighbours (except our other half of the semi next door, as they are horrid people)
I do expect the addressees to collect their own parcels though.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Falkirk Bairn
>>I often take in parcels for my neighbour and
>> take them round when they return

It's a bit like bringing the Bins in, taking in parcels, signing for a registered envelope, cutting a small piece of communal grass/ weeding in an area that is common...........

It's perfectly OK when everyone takes their turn.............unfortunately everyone does not take their turn.

The bin can sit in the street for days, take it in for them to the near the front of the house & it sits there in your line of sight & they walk past it.

They fail to put their bins out then have them overflowing for birds & cats etc to get at it or they dump surplus loose rubbish in your bin that then requires you to do bin cleaning.

To many it is of no importance but when the wind blows & you live on the corner plot all the rubbish of the day comes into your garden.............Nobody who has overflowing bins comes to help.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 22 Nov 16 at 01:34
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Ted

I'll take in parcels for anyone..except the slimy tossoir across the drive. I don't want him taking in my stuff either..I don't trust him one little bit.

For anything that won't go through the letterbox, I arrange to be sent to my nearest collection point which happens to be the Post Office run by my mate Ali up the road. The same Post Office which Mr Slimy threatened to 'torch ' after a minor dispute....not of Ali's making....between them. he was barred on the spot and now goes somewhere else for his paper and fags.

If the sender doesn't use the collection point facility I always put my address as ++1/ ++3.....My attached neighbour's...and they do the same. It's worked so far.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Old Navy
While chatting with a painter who works in our area he said he likes working in our small estate of bungalows, it is the only place he knows where there is a race to return the empty wheelie bins. A friend complained that the bungalows rarely come on the market and the local estate agents have lists of potential buyers. Parcels, no problem, I had a pallet of dining furniture put into my garage for the folk over the road as they were both at work.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - martin aston
We live in a close where people take parcels in for one another.

We also put out/take in bins for neighbours who ask but you now need to check delivery drivers haven't left parcels in there. Their putting a note through the neighbours letter box saying that's where they've left it is not foolproof if you're not doing their mail!

Delivery schedules must be very tight for some of the drivers. Last week the bell rang and I went immediately to the door to find a parcel in full view on the step and the driver already back in his van and underway. He must have run at some speed to achieve this and made no attempt at all to conceal the parcel let alone get a neighbour to take it in.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - devonite
Talking of bins, last year I put our bin out for collection, and later when I went to reclaim it I saw that the Bin-men had dumped two black bags of rubbish that were sat on top of the 3-door away Neighbors bin into the bushes nearby. As I was passing the library (council office) I popped in and mentioned it. Next day they were gone, but a couple of days after I received a "Warning Letter" with photo's of offending bags opened, ... and It was my rubbi8sh!!

Some bounder (I have suspicions who) had lifted and dumped the bags out of our bin and put their own in...so inadvertently I had reported myself!
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Mike Hannon
And the councils that seem now (to an outside observer) to spend all their time whining about scarce resources can employ people to open bin bags, study and photograph the contents? Jesus wept.
Now I am ageing it saddens me very much that I don't think I'll ever be able to stomach living in the land of my birth again.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Manatee
>> Now I am ageing it saddens me very much that I don't think I'll ever
>> be able to stomach living in the land of my birth again.

You are de-institutionalised. I think when you give up the working life, leave the urban sprawl, or whatever then after a while it can be difficult to go back.

It took me about a year after redundancy in 2012 to realise that I was no longer able to bear going back to the corporate zoo as an employee; rather longer to decide that it would be next to impossible to live now in the urban jungle of the West Yorkshire conurbation where I grew up. Lots of 'country' locations to reside around the main towns, but getting around is complete torture. I can feel my nerves jangling when I hit a 10 minute traffic queue these days.

I had to work in London yesterday. I cannot imagine doing that utterly enervating commute a few times every week.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - commerdriver
>> I had to work in London yesterday. I cannot imagine doing that utterly enervating commute
>> a few times every week.
>>
>>
Totally agree and I have been doing it for the last 2 or 3 years.
It is preferable to the routine for the previous 5 years plus, which was leave home Monday morning stay in a hotel near the client for 3 nights and go back home late on Thursday evening.
London is a pain but I get home every night, probably less than a year to go before retirement so no point in trying to find another job.
>> I have been doing it for the last 2 or 3 years.
>> It is preferable to the routine for the previous 5 years plus, which was leave
>> home Monday morning stay in a hotel near the client for 3 nights and go
>> back home late on Thursday evening.

I hate that. Being away when it becomes regular is not living, it's like giving a period of your life away.

That and excessive travelling can seem bearable, even OK, and having the choice would be a luxury for many. But when you finally stop doing it, you realise what it was taking out of you.
>> That and excessive travelling can seem bearable, even OK, and having the choice would be
>> a luxury for many. But when you finally stop doing it, you realise what it
>> was taking out of you.
>>

I agree, I have done some stressful jobs and some enjoyable ones, you don't realise how stressful some can be until you move on. A few days ago we were driving home and exiting Edinburgh at rush hour, we commented on how lucky we were to never have had a stressful commute. We were in no rush but many drivers were obviously stressed and agitated which displayed itself as aggressive driving. They made no better progress than anyone else.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Pat
I don't agree with you!

Both Ian & I worked away all week living in our respective lorries for over 6 years and only saw each other at weekends.

We both thoroughly enjoyed it and both miss it now.

It's certainly horses for courses and it isn't for every one, but there are some of us that have itchy feet and need a base only for weekends too.

Pat
>> I don't agree with you!
>>
>> Both Ian & I worked away all week living in our respective lorries

>> Pat
>>

You should try a submarine, that can be stressful, no commute though. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Wed 23 Nov 16 at 17:32
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Harleyman

>> If I see a courier looking lost I'll offer to take package in.
>>
>> Either I deliver or consignee knocks on my door; depends who clicks first.
>>
>> Wouldn't dream of declining anything unless I was VERY suspicious.
>>
>> Maybe a village v town thing.
>>

Likewise here. Small hamlet of about 20 houses, not often we end up actually accepting parcels for our neighbours as we're both out at work most days, but they being retired often accept deliveries for us; favours usually returned by loans of ladder, cement mixer or similar.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Dulwich Estate II
"Don't you take it round then? I often take in parcels for my neighbour and take them round when they return."

Tried that - often they don't open the door - bathing the children or some other excuse. I've even taken to texting asking for them to collect.

Taking bins in ? They are the only people in a road of 200 houses who leave their bins on the pavement all week.

I am a reasonable bloke, but will not be taken for a mug. Remember we're talking several times a week - every week !

Take look at Mumsnet where you will find the vast majority say they have given up being neighbourly regarding parcels.

Last edited by: Dulwich Estate II on Mon 21 Nov 16 at 22:07
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - legacylad
Small culdesac of 12. I often take parcels in for neighbours if I'm around. Only one tossoir I won't do that for, but it's reciprocal!
When away on holiday we keep an eye open, take out bins, check doors & windows. Blowing a gale here so will check next doors property tomorrow as they are away.
It's lovely to live in such a friendly environment
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Stuu
I don't take parcels in, I am not in that often and I don't fancy playing chase the neighbour to get things delivered.

I have all parcels sent to my dads as he is almost always at home these days, so makes for a useful drop off point.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - sooty123
No issues with collecting or receiving parcels for our neighbours. We've had 6 or so this week. If we did have someone not pop round straight away, I'd just leave it in the porch until they came round. Bins are quite often left out by our neighbours but it doesn't bother me in the slightest when they are.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - VxFan
Used to be able to get stuff delivered to my work address until one day someone had a flat pack green house delivered there!!

Up until that point my employer was happy if the item was small and collected promptly from reception. Typically though someone had to go and spoil it for the rest of us.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Pat
I take in parcels for neighbours who are working or away and do the bins, but they are asked not to collect them after 7pm in the evening.

We politely explain we won't answer the door, but Ian will knock them up and deliver the parcel the following morning at 1.30am on his way to work!

It works well for everyone and is always taken in the spirit intended.

Pat

Taking in parcels for neighbours - Dog
I've only taken in one parcel for a neighb in the 5.5 years I've lived up here ... but then I only have one neighb :)
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Mike Hannon
When we were in a block of eight flats in the UK last summer I was amazed to see the Royal Mail and some courier drivers just dump parcels in the hallway - sometimes literally throwing them through the door - with no thought of a signature or anything else.
The (almost all Polish) neighbours were very friendly and obliging though...
At home we are the first house in a hamlet of half a dozen or so and right by the road so giving directions, taking stuff, etc, comes with the territory. At odd times I've thought about putting up one of those boards outside with a diagram of the area and names.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Cliff Pope
We don't have any neighbours - anyone trying to deliver things here for someone else is lost and needs re-directing.

For our own stuff I always tick the box for driver's instructions and say leave in porch or yard or barn depending on the size.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - madf
Only one neighbour on our side of the road. No parcels as are late 70s.

I do various jobs for neighbours to help- grass cutting , shopping , etc. Those who are physically able do the same.
No hassle with horrible neighbours except the cows who try to eat my raspberries.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Ted

What was your biggest delivery to the house ?
Mine was four brand new Ford Fiestas which arrived on a transporter. I was expecting them and soon had them tucked away round the back waiting for our fleet service manager to come over from Leeds and do all the commissioning work to get them ready to go out on hire.

I'm not sure I would've taken them in for a neighbour !
I am expecting a delivery today, I have had an email with a link to the vans position on a map, it is on delivery 2, I am delivery 7 and it will be here in 1 hour 15 minutes, I even have the drivers name. Clever this interwebby thingy.

Glad I proof read this post, the predictive thing changed interwebby to intersex!
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 22 Nov 16 at 11:50
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - TheManWithNoName
I wonder what the legalities are if RM, Parcel Farce or any other delivery company takes it upon themselves to deliver your goods to a neighbour especially if that address has not been specified. It smacks of laziness by the courier.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - movilogo
Don't know about RM but I have seen fine prints in private courier service contract that as soon as someone (whoever on addressed receiver's behalf) receives the parcel and signs, their responsibility ends.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Crankcase
>> I wonder what the legalities are if RM, Parcel Farce or any other delivery company
>> takes it upon themselves to deliver your goods to a neighbour especially if that address
>> has not been specified. It smacks of laziness by the courier.

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/my-parcel-was-left-with-a-neighbour-who-denies-having-it
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Ambo
>> It smacks of laziness by the courier>>

Infuriating, I know, and I imagine Black Friday is leading to a lot more fury, as online purchases increase exponentially. However I have considerable sympathy for Amazon drivers after seeing a recent TV documentary on them. The pressure on them is so relentless that they often have to exceed speed limits to achieve targets. They work very long hours, often being supplied with dodgy vehicles and have to contend with a dubious payment system. In fact working for Amazon in any capacity seems akin to slavery.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 23 Nov 16 at 12:59
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - Falkirk Bairn
>>In fact working for Amazon in any capacity seems akin to slavery.

Lots of jobs out there that are akin to slavery.

Used to tell kids at school that they had to learn a skill of some sort to earn a living - "arms & legs" type jobs do not yield a living in most cases.

You then had the kids saying they did not need any Maths etc as they were going to be aa joiner / plumber etc - I pointed out that being good at the Maths might see them as the owner/ supervisor rather than the "hands on tools job"

My kids did Supermarket, barman, del drivers jobs when students - it was a factor that drove the 3 of them on to do well @ Uni. I am not saying Uni is the only answer to earning a good living BUT it is for many.
I agree, slavery is back, well almost.

We will always need people to collect the bins, drive vans, clean our streets and hospitals, all the low-skilled stuff that is now in the realm of outsourcing and zero hours contracts. And there will always be people who need those jobs.

It is shameful that in a wealthy society such as ours in the 21st century, the people who do these jobs cannot have any reasonable expectation of what most think of as a basic, secure, normal life - decent housing, reasonable hours, holidays and the prospect of raising a family. Pre-1980s, many of these jobs were with local authorities, health authorities, and other public sector employers. There were decent conditions and pension schemes. There was decent social housing, after a few years on a waiting list.

The folk who now strive to survive on those jobs now either subsist on meagre in-work benefit levels or have several jobs to keep their heads above water and allow for some discretionary spending.

Market forces have been allowed adversely to affect the weakest in society to the greatest extent. We have gone backwards, and I am ashamed for us. If Corbyn can convince me that Labour can deal with this I'll vote for them. Labour, under Blair of course, joined enthusiastically in the destruction of the prospects for the working class.

My Amazon parcel is late again, but I don't blame the van driver.
Last edited by: Manatee on Wed 23 Nov 16 at 12:44
>> It is shameful that in a wealthy society such as ours in the 21st century, the people who do >> these jobs cannot have any reasonable expectation of what most think of as a basic, secure, >> normal life - decent housing, reasonable hours, holidays and the prospect of raising a family.

Totally agree, but to look back to the 1970s or even 1980s is the wrong way, lots of unsustainable jobs in unsustainable industries with a catastrophic economy (Although given current debt levels it's not much better now but in a different way).
We need a balance between the zero hours economy which gives us higher employment but at a lower quality and employment rights which is not the way to full employment but is better for those in employment.
Part of it has to start with the message getting through to schools, as FB said, that education is the best the way out of poverty and the best place to get that is in school.
Corbyn has, so far, shown no ability to look forward only backwards.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - henry k
>> Part of it has to start with the message getting through to schools, as FB said, that education is the best the way out of poverty and the best place to get that is in school.
>>
Plus parents involved but I fear that would take a generation or two.
Being able to communicate with those around you is hampered by many poor role models - no wot aye meen mate.

>> Corbyn has, so far, shown no ability to look forward only backwards.
>>
He has had a life time of complaining so he will not change now.
I agree fully on the value of education proper parenting etc but those jobs need doing. And the people who do them have a poor shake.

Some proper public social housing would be a start. At the moment the money spent on it in the form of housing benefit just enriches private landlords.
Unfortunately we live in a society which wants everything as cheap as possible, free if possible. While that sort of consumer attitude prevails the money available for delivery people, cleaning people and other low skilled service type jobs will never be available and cutting employee hours, rates and job security and conditions is the simplest way to achieve the low cost targets.

I agree on social housing but that means people who have money being prepared to pay more in taxes and council charges and society, as a whole, is not willing to do that.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - BrianByPass
>> I agree on social housing but that means people who have money being prepared to
>> pay more in taxes and council charges and society, as a whole, is not willing
>> to do that.
>>

I think a right wing vs left wing test is in order.

I'll start a new thread.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - BrianByPass
Neighbourhood I live is a cul-de-sac with 20 houses and has been very friendly, until two recent arrivals in last three or four years. They are professional middle-class couples, one couple is Doctors.

People take in parcels, look after pets (cats, fish, dogs, rabbits, ..), leave keys with each other, etc.

Most are in fifties or older and know what being a good neighbour means.

They don't mix (at the annual residents' summer barbecue), don't bother with greetings - not even a simple "hello", and don't even say thank you for taking in parcels. This behaviour isn't just with us, it is with all the neighbours.

They park on the pavement despite having driveways big enough for four cars, and leave their bins out for days on end, and they put out all the bins regardless of which collection it is (food plus alternate weeks for recycling and general waste).

Now we refuse to take in their parcels.
 Taking in parcels for neighbours - madf
"they put out all the bins regardless of which collection it is '

= no collections at all according to our local rules.
Latest Forum Posts