Non-motoring > Banking error - What would you do? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 4

Banking error - What would you do? - Falkirk Bairn
For about 8 years I had a "micro business" that involved maybe 1/2 hour a week in a busy week & often 5/10 minutes. It netted " a week in the sun for 2" after expenses & Income Tax. The rate per hour was great BUT not enough hours - I tried to boost the T/O by adverts, website etc etc but spent more than it brought in.

I still have the Bank Account which is "dormant" - a few ££s in it but no transactions for some 7 months as I gave up in March.

Out of nowhere I had £35 paid into the account on Friday.
It quotes a Coded Invoice number format I used - Invoice from January 2010.
However, I have no idea of the invoice name / address as I have disposed of the copies.

1) Contact my Bank to see if they can repatriate the money (and maybe incur Bank Charges??)
2) Do Nothing & hope the person claims it back
& Give it to charity if not reclaimed in say 2 months?

I would say it is a keying error in "Home Banking" - they still have my account as a Payee & have selected my Bank Acct in error rather than one above /below.

Just shows how important it is to clean out Payees, Direct Debits & Standing Orders THAT are DEAD!!
 Banking error - What would you do? - Ambo
If it is in late payment of your own invoice the money belongs to you and surely need not be "repatriated"? Presumably your bank can tell you where/who its comes from. I wouldn't keep mum as there have been several cases recently of banks freezing accounts if they suspect jiggery-pokery. That may not be a problem with this account but might affect others you have.

Banking error - What would you do? - Mapmaker
>>1) Contact my Bank to see if they can repatriate the money (and maybe incur Bank Charges??)

You won't incur charges. I'd be inclined to write to them as otherwise you'll be on hold for ages... It's so little money, I wouldn't think anybody would care.
 Banking error - What would you do? - Falkirk Bairn
Letter from Faster Payments saying they have taken it back - into a holding account.

I had to phone them to release the money back to a LLoyds Bank customer "who paid in error"

Still cost me 5 mins of my life holding on to the phone until a UK person answered.
 Banking error - What would you do? - BrianByPass
In this type of situation, I ask myself "what would I do in the other person's shoes".

>> Letter from Faster Payments saying they have taken it back - into a holding account.
>>
>> I had to phone them to release the money back to a LLoyds Bank customer
>> "who paid in error"
>>
Did you initiate it or the Lloyds Bank customer?

>> Still cost me 5 mins of my life holding on to the phone until a
>> UK person answered.
>>
Is that more or less than time spent talking to anonymous people on here? ;-)
Latest Forum Posts