Non-motoring > Garden Compost - Health Warning Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 5

Garden Compost - Health Warning - Falkirk Bairn
D-i-L is off to a funeral today.

62 yr old former neighbour died from inhalation of garden compost spores etc.

Breathless the GP sent him to hospital & he never came home. 3 months later he has died as a result of "potting a few plants" for the winter.

Gloves & face mask when potting plants is the order of the day.
 Garden Compost - Health Warning - CGNorwich
Sounds like accute aspergillosis. It not potting plants or potting compost you have to worry about. It's the fungal form Aspergillus spores that you sometimes get on rotting vegetation especially if its in an enclosed container like a plastic bag and left for a long while. I think you have to be pretty susceptible to lung problems for it to be a real issue. Gloves and face masks might be a bit OTT when potting up your geraniums
 Garden Compost - Health Warning - madf
Not affected my lungs yet after 40 off years of gardening.
No face masks ever used.

Can't answer for my brain.
Last edited by: madf on Thu 8 Dec 16 at 11:46
 Garden Compost - Health Warning - Falkirk Bairn
>>I think you have to be pretty susceptible to lung problems for it to be a real issue

I do not know of him BUT he was 62 & working 5 days a week - as an industrial development chemist all of his life.
 Gardening is Dangerous! Fact - BrianByPass
Solicitor dies from sepsis five days after scratching her hand gardening
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/03/solicitor-dies-from-sepsis-five-days-after-injuring-her-hand-gar/

Disease and plant risks
www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=541
many obvious risks associated with gardening – stepping on a rake, tripping over a hose, etc – but it is good to be aware of some of the less apparent ones

But then living is sure to lead to death.
 Garden Compost - Health Warning - slowdown avenue
opened a bag of rotting leaves one day, and the dust and fumes whatever, knocked me sideways . take care
Latest Forum Posts