Non-motoring > You can't drink that Buying / Selling
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 58

You can't drink that - legacylad
My brother & a few of his friends have season tickets for Bradford City FC. Yesterday, at half time, one of them went to buy a coffee. It was poured, but the vendor realised they had no more lids, so was unable to sell it sans lid.
Wouldnt want to get hot coffee on yourself walking back to your seat. Nasty injury.
I'm assured it's a true story
 You can't drink that - Stuartli
...or trip and spill it over one or more unfortunate other spectators?
 You can't drink that - mikeyb
Sadly in this day and age some will look for an opportunity to claim so all bases have to be covered.

One of my old offices had spiral staircases and we were banned from carrying drinks, or using mobiles on them
 You can't drink that - CGNorwich
It used to seem odd to me why so many people couldn't walk down the high street without a bottle of water clutched in their hand. It now seems you need to carry a pint of coffee.

Takeaway coffee, a definite candidate for room 101 along with, of course, all takeaway food other than fish and chips.

You can't drink that - Falkirk Bairn
Older generation here - 3 meals a day, drop into cafe/pub for a drink if I'm walking in the High Stout during the day or maybe a quick swig from a bottle in the car (uncommon) - I would never consider walking along the road with a bottle of water / gallon of coffee.

Many younger of the generation graze throughout the day rather than eat a meal @ specific times of the day.
Same here . If I want a drink I go in a cafe or a pub. Even Waitrose are giving away cups of takeaway coffee now. It's the end of civilisation as we know it.
>> Same here . If I want a drink I go in a cafe or a
>> pub. Even Waitrose are giving away cups of takeaway coffee now. It's the end of
>> civilisation as we know it.
>>
I would happily stay and drink it in the cafe but its always jammed full of old codgers
 You can't drink that - Cliff Pope
>> It's the end of
>> civilisation as we know it.
>>
>>

Sadly, yes.
Nothing short of severe dehydration in Death Valley would induce me to swig drinks out of bottles. Cup, mug or a glass please - not plastic.

>> Many younger of the generation graze throughout the day rather than eat a meal @
>> specific times of the day.
>>

Off topic, but I watched a tv show on this where they fed a test group 2 (or 3 - I cant remember) large meals, and the second group 12 small meals a day, but the same calorific content. The group on smaller meals lost weight and were more satisfied with more stable blood sugar levels
This walking around outside with a cup of coffee I find perplexing. I first came across it in the States over a decade ago, and it has spread. It's not an age related thing, at least not in Settle. You see the school kids walking to school with their cup of Joe, and my local Booths supermarket give it away with certain purchases. The local middle school is next door so you see lots of parents with their free coffees after dropping off the children.
And the pensioners.
Personally I wouldn't be seen dead walking around with a coffee or tea outside, although in warmer climes I often carry water with me, or when walking home from the gym / sauna.
Please don't tell me that's just as bad!
 You can't drink that - John Boy
>> Personally I wouldn't be seen dead walking around with a coffee or tea outside, although
in warmer climes I often carry water with me, or when walking home from the gym / sauna.
Please don't tell me that's just as bad!

Wouldn't dream of it! They like coffee, you like water. :-)
 You can't drink that - Focal Point
"... I wouldn't be seen dead walking around with a coffee or tea..."

Me too, and, as Waitrose has been mentioned, I really cannot get into the heads of people who grab their free cup of coffee when they enter and then juggle coffee, shopping trolley and whatever it is they're buying.

I even saw one woman with a baby on her hip, a coffee in one hand and her other hand on the trolley. Dunno what she did when she wanted to put something in the trolley. And what about the risk of spilling coffee either on the floor or on the baby? It just seems daft to me.
 You can't drink that - R.P.
I'm with you two.. Coffee/Tea is to be enjoyed in the privacy of your own home, a cafe or in the Office at ones desk.
 You can't drink that - Pat
Why has the world turned into such a judgmental place to be?

Everyone has an opinion on everything and if anyone's preference is different it is automatically wrong.

Wouldn't it be nice if we all asked ourselves three questions before being critical.

Does it affect me?

Does it affect anyone else who I know?

Does it really matter?

Pat
 You can't drink that - sooty123
Welcome to the world of the Internet forum ;)
Of course it matters. Takeaway coffee is one of the major issues of modern day Britain surpassing even Brexit in its devisive nature. It affects us all and is the beginning of the end of our way of life. Surprised at you holding such wishy washy liberal views on this subject.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 13 Dec 16 at 06:23
If I wanted to be really "devisive" I could point out that "devisive" should be spelled "divisive".

Some people think it matters, some do not.
"Why has the world turned into such a judgmental place to be?"

Point taken, but I was expressing an opinion I normally keep to myself (though I may share it with Mrs FP) and wouldn't mention to the people concerned.

"Wouldn't it be nice if we all asked ourselves three questions before being critical.

Does it affect me?"
- In the case of the woman in Waitrose, probably not, unless I slipped on her spilt coffee.

"Does it affect anyone else who I know?"
- No.

"Does it really matter?"
- Possibly, if the hot coffee gets in the wrong place.

It's a trivial example which hardly violates anyone's morals, but I think having an opinion about the behaviour of others is inevitable if one tries to uphold standards oneself. Most of the time it's best to keep such opinions private, of course. But if I were bringing up a child I would definitely discourage eating and drinking on the move.
 You can't drink that - Pat
It wasn't really meant just in this thread.

It seems to be a general thing now everywhere.

People make assumptions on appearance and never stop to ask if there could be a reason, but are happy to criticise.

We see on our local forums photos of cars not parked entirely straight between the lines in our town car park with people demanding they have their licence took away if they can't do better.

I certainly would bring children up not to eat and drink on the move but that's very olf fashioned now and we have to leave the old ways behind and embrace the new, but form those new ways in a respectful manner.

In my opinion, of course:)

BTW, nice one FP, love to see two pedants go head to head.

FP 1
CG 0

:-)

Pat
"BTW, nice one FP, love to see two pedants go head to head."

Pedant, moi?

Educated, yes. Pedant - surely not? It was merely a smart-a*** retort I couldn't resist.

OK, then, if you insist.
 You can't drink that - Armel Coussine
Late friend of mine was persuaded by his then gf that he needed to keep his fluid intake up. Thereafter he was always clutching a bottle of expensive water and slobbering at it from time to time (he was an untidy eater and drinker, bad background).
 You can't drink that - Clk Sec
I was a cross country runner / jogger for over 40 years and never felt the need to carry a bottle of water. Now I rarely see a jogger without one. Who knows, perhaps they are right and I was wrong.
 You can't drink that - madf
>> I was a cross country runner / jogger for over 40 years and never felt
>> the need to carry a bottle of water. Now I rarely see a jogger without
>> one. Who knows, perhaps they are right and I was wrong.
>>

I never ever carried water or runs under 8 miles or so.. Above that, I would be running for over an hour so some drink would be needed. Half marathons and above had drinking stations so that was OK.

At home, I only carried water for LONG training runs - and ONLY in summer.. (I trained in the mornings before 8am when it was cool).
I ran is SA for two years and the same applied.. Even 35C in Singapore was not hot enough to carry water...
 You can't drink that - The Melting Snowman
No I don't think you're wrong. It's just a fad and like most fads, it will pass.

In my last few years of working there seemed to be this annoying habit of people turning up to meetings with a water bottle, slobbering at it like babies. On the rare occasion that I'm called back to work I don't see this happening nearly as much.
> In my last few years of working there seemed to be this annoying habit of people turning up to meetings with a water bottle, slobbering at it like babies.

I noticed that on a training course, about one third of people had a bottle with them all day. It wasn't hot at all inside (unusually). But perhaps that's it, when I have to occasionally pop inside to an office from working outside i nearly always find it too warm inside. Perhaps too many offices have the heating on too high?
>> "... I wouldn't be seen dead walking around with a coffee or tea..."
>>
>> Me too, and, as Waitrose has been mentioned, I really cannot get into the heads
>> of people who grab their free cup of coffee when they enter and then juggle
>> coffee, shopping trolley and whatever it is they're buying.

Cant say I've ever found one hand pushing the trolley and a coffee in my otherwise redundant hand an issue, but my local have now changed their policy and you have to show your card first, so I usually pick it up on my way out
 You can't drink that - Bromptonaut
Several of my colleagues arrive clutching coffee from Starbucks or the Greggs next door. This in spite of fact we have free tea/coffee (albeit instant) in the office.

I think that people today are (rightly) much more conscious of need to keep hydrated than we were thirty or more years ago.Our Admin supervisor, who's desk is immediately behind me, has something like a cyclist's bidon that she refills several times a day from the watercooler. And of course the cooler and it's stock of refills is an invention of last 15 years. Used to be a tap labelled 'drinking water' somewhere in the building.

I'm sure I saw somewhere a chart that, by comparing the colour of your wee with different styles of white wine, assessed if you were adequately hydrated. Pino Grigio and you're fine, Riesling = drink more and Muscat or Graves indicated serious dehydration.
I'm sure I saw somewhere a chart that, by comparing the colour of your wee with different styles of white wine, assessed if you were adequately hydrated. Pino Grigio and you're fine, Riesling = drink more and Muscat or Graves indicated serious dehydration.

Having worked in a few hot and sandy countries there are in plenty of similar charts in the toilets there. Although not wine related (wouldn't go down very well with locals) straw coloured is what you are aiming for.
Last edited by: sooty123 on Tue 13 Dec 16 at 18:49
 You can't drink that - henry k
We(e) are all different.
I have never found the need to drink on the hoof be it coffee or water.
That includes places like Saudi Arabia in the summer.
Weak milky breakfast tea or decaf instant coffee is fine for me.

1.5 L of water/tea/coffee seems to be enough for most folk doing normal activity.
Gulping excess expensive water is an example of marketing to the gullible !
Too much liquid can lower the salt level in your system and cause many problems
SWMBO had a drug side effects do just that and was rushed to A&E.
Two/ three days treatment restored things.

Re Waitrose. I have two cards and ferry home two doses of coffee for SWMBO.
Only once had a query about it.
>> We(e) are all different.
>> I have never found the need to drink on the hoof be it coffee or
>> water.
>> That includes places like Saudi Arabia in the summer.
>> Weak milky breakfast tea or decaf instant coffee is fine for me.
> 1.5 L of water/tea/coffee seems to be enough for most folk doing normal activity

yes wee all are ;) i suppose that depends on normal activity, in the ME in the summer for me working outside, sometimes shaded sometimes not, I'd say 1.5L of water isn't near enough.

>> Gulping excess expensive water is an example of marketing to the gullible !
>> Too much liquid can lower the salt level in your system and cause many problems

i just drink tap water and if it's not safe then just whatever is provided. You can indeed but it's really high iirc, in the tens of litres per day.
 You can't drink that - Crankcase
1.5 litres a day is way in excess of what I normally drink - a back of the envelope puts mine at under a litre, and Mrs C is less than that, and her mum is less than her.

Sounds like a lot of liquid to me.

We've noticed that when we go on our long distance walks over hill and dale, all the books go on and on about taking forty eight gallons of water up the mountain. We will do a whole day on a couple of 500ml bottle of water with no issues, and usually don't finish that.

>> 1.5 litres a day is way in excess of what I normally drink - a
>> back of the envelope puts mine at under a litre, and Mrs C is less
>> than that, and her mum is less than her.
>>
>> Sounds like a lot of liquid to me.

My reference to that amount of water was if you are working outside, in the ME, in the summer.
"Re Waitrose. I have two cards and ferry home two doses of coffee for SWMBO."

Which must be lukewarm by the time you get them home. (Don't say you then microwave them.)

For God's sake, man - do the right thing and get a coffee machine!

The things people will do just for freebies! :-)
Last edited by: Focal Point on Wed 14 Dec 16 at 10:48
I would not even consider drinking that stuff.
I just about tolerate weak / milky coffee.

Coffee machine? Sire you jest! Another must have item to get stuffed in a cupboard :-(
Plus it would have to be me operating /dealing with it as SWMBO cannot do it.
"Coffee machine? Sire you jest! Another must have item to get stuffed in a cupboard :-(
Plus it would have to be me operating /dealing with it as SWMBO cannot do it."

This is getting truly dispiriting, Henry.

A man who says he would "have" to play with a mechanical toy?

BTW, you can make coffee as weak or strong as you like with a proper coffee machine - not one that takes these pod things. Mine gets used most days and lives on the worktop.

Time to man up, Henry.

P.S. Has your good lady not yet awoken to the delights of flavoured lattes? Mine chooses between six irresistible syrups.
>>A man who says he would "have" to play with a mechanical toy?
>>
It is a case of I just do not want/need one. :-)
As a life time non cooking male I have enough new "skills" to master.
I have in the distant past managed to attempt to boil an egg but ....
I wrote off the egg, the magic plastic hard/soft indicator and redecorated the the kitchen wall.
So Yes I managed to burn the water ?
>>
>>P.S. Has your good lady not yet awoken to the delights of flavoured lattes?
Mine chooses between six irresistible syrups.
"Sounds" 'orrible to me

Sadly SWMBO no longer remembers things so the Waitrose offering is always greeted with delight.
Oh dear. I'm sorry if I've overdone things with the teasing, Henry. I had no idea - maybe you've mentioned it in the past and I've missed it. I read only a small fraction of what gets posted.

My apologies.
FP
Humour makes the world go round IMO
Absolutely no offence taken.
 You can't drink that - MD

>> Having worked in a few hot and sandy countries there are in plenty of similar
>> charts in the toilets there. Although not wine related (wouldn't go down very well with
>> locals) straw coloured is what you are aiming for.
>>
"Aiming for". Very good Sooty.
I can honestly say I hardly ever drink water - can't remember the last time. Must be several weeks ago at least. Fluid intake consists of coffee and tea supplemented by beer and wine. Did have a Gin and Tonic on Sunday though.
When backpacking in warmer climes, I always think 'Clear & copious'. I never drink coffee whilst on such trips, although lots do. Some people consider it a diuretic. One mug of tea to start the day, and two to finish the day, with lots of filtered water from my trusty Katadyn.
 You can't drink that - rtj70
And be wary of jugs of coke wherever you are .... may contain brandy :-)

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/13/manchester-citys-yaya-toure-denies-consuming-alcohol-intentionally/

As if he didn't realise it was't coke! Hefty fine mind - £54k but he can afford it.

I am surprised he 'lives' in London and works in Manchester and drives. You'd get the train surely and have a car in Manchester and a flat or something. There's no way he commutes during the week.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 13 Dec 16 at 19:13
So he can't taste the difference between normal Coca Cola and some with brandy in it? Or notice any effects on bodily functions.
Really?
>> So he can't taste the difference between normal Coca Cola and some with brandy in
>> it? Or notice any effects on bodily functions.
>> Really?

I've been accustomed to drink since I was a kid. 'Tastes' of parents' sherry, wine, brandy etc plus being given tots of whisky for coughs around my teens saw to that.

Yours too?

Not sure experience as a Muslim in Ivory Coast would be same.

He's held his hand up and taken the punishment.
Last edited by: Bromptonaut on Tue 13 Dec 16 at 20:00
I think his background/upbringing would be all the more reason to spot it.
>> So he can't taste the difference between normal Coca Cola and some with brandy in it?
>>Or notice any effects on bodily functions.
>> Really?
>>
Many folks appear not to really notice the effects of a few pints are having on their actions.
He did not question "Why is my coke in a big jug?"

i did once offer a Libyan guy, I was working with, a Maynards wine gum.
He was not at all convinced it was how I described it.
>> I am surprised he 'lives' in London and works in Manchester and drives. You'd get
>> the train surely and have a car in Manchester and a flat or something.

A motoring forum where posters believe people would get the train rather than drive.....
 You can't drink that - Mapmaker
>> A motoring forum where posters believe people would get the train rather than drive.....

I'm going up to Cheshire by train for Christmas. Somebody else takes the strain; I can read and doze and drink gin. What's not to like?
 You can't drink that - VxFan
>> What's not to like?

Other passengers.

Or more specifically those wearing earphones but with the volume turned right up so everyone else can still hear what they're listening to, or continually playing with their smartphone / tablet but not putting it on silent, or those people who think everyone else would also like to hear their phone conversation. etc etc
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 14 Dec 16 at 09:23
 You can't drink that - Duncan
>> Me too, and, as Waitrose has been mentioned, I really cannot get into the heads
>> of people who grab their free cup of coffee when they enter and then juggle
>> coffee, shopping trolley and whatever it is they're buying.

In Surrey, Waitrose offer drinks at the end of the shopping expedition, cups and lids are issued at the checkout, so one does not walk round the store with a drink in one's hand.
>> In Surrey, Waitrose offer drinks at the end of the shopping expedition, cups and lids
>> are issued at the checkout, so one does not walk round the store with a drink in one's hand.
>>
A similar procedure at Surbiton but lids are with the dispensing machine.
A free twin cup carrier is also available so I can carry the cups to my car where they then fit perfectly in the cup holders.

They also have a small dustbin nearby into which the coffee grounds are dumped.
Anyone can help themselves to some free soil enhancer.
Is it due to "The good life" of Surbiton fame ?
"In Surrey, Waitrose offer drinks at the end of the shopping expedition, cups and lids are issued at the checkout, so one does not walk round the store with a drink in one's hand."

That sounds very proper to me.

But in "my" Waitrose (in St Albans, if you must know) there are coffee machines just inside the entrance AND near the exit AND a café where you can also get coffee in paper cups with lids. (All of this in a quite modest-sized supermarket.)

There's prosperous middle-class coffee-mania for you!
Last edited by: Focal Point on Wed 14 Dec 16 at 10:54
 You can't drink that - smokie
On a tangent, my local Tesco has a help-yourself fruit bin to eat while you are shopping. I've a feeling it's really aimed at children but it probably isn't policed too heavily. I've managed to resist so far. :-) It did used to surprise me when the person in front at the checkout paid for some half eaten product, sometimes fruit, sometimes sweets/crisps. (I suspect there were some who grazed while shopping and didn't pay too)
Once had fruit from the little help yourself rack, i didn't notice it was for kids only.
 You can't drink that - rtj70
>> I've a feeling it's really aimed at children but it probably isn't policed too heavily.

The signs in our Tesco certainly says it's for the children.

I sometimes see discarded food/drink packaging around the store where someone has obviously been eating/drinking but not paying for the item.
 You can't drink that - VxFan
>> The signs in our Tesco certainly says it's for the children.

And here too.

EDIT mentions it on their website
www.tescoplc.com/news/news-releases/2016/free-fruit-for-kids-at-tesco/
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 14 Dec 16 at 12:51
EDIT mentions it on their website
>> www.tescoplc.com/news/news-releases/2016/free-fruit-for-kids-at-tesco/
>>

Ahh well, the grapes were still tasty
>> But in "my" Waitrose (in St Albans, if you must know) there are coffee machines
>> just inside the entrance AND near the exit AND a café where you can also
>> get coffee in paper cups with lids. (All of this in a quite modest-sized supermarket.)
>>
>> There's prosperous middle-class coffee-mania for you!
>>

The same as ours, only the entrance and the exit are one and the same. Ours is a fairly modest size to. The coffee used to be a free for all, but the cups were removed a few months back and are now on request from the tills or customer services.

I would be interested to know what the free coffee costs them over a year
 You can't drink that - Ted

The other day, I discovered that the RAVer4 has horizontal slide out bits in the two front cupholders which adjust the size of the hole to suit the cup. Probbabbly for serious off roading...I wish !

There's posh....Innit ?
Latest Forum Posts