Non-motoring > Only 7 sleeps to go Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 25

Only 7 sleeps to go - legacylad
I took the oldies out yesterday... 89 yo to visit 98yo, then her big sis, 91yo and niece, 69yo!
Quite the fun day as you can imagine. We all agreed that Christmas, for us at least, is a total waste of time. We would happily pay good money for a knock out tablet that wakes you up on January 2nd. Even friends with family, who gather together for festivities, driving all over the country, agree that it's all a big hoo ha & general major inconvenience.
So far I've written 5 cards, given to family and special friends. I was going to write more but cba.
With one exception, I don't do presents to anyone, but one of my best friends will be getting a 2017 Ansel Adams calendar. So Christmas will cost me £15. No extra food or drink. Probably less drink because I'm not visiting my local watering holes Xmas Day night, although I'll be there noon till 3pm.
 Only 7 sleeps to go - smokie
Any holidays lose some of their importance once you are no longer working, for sure.

I am the worst for saying that the shops have Christmas too early, and I don't go for the extremes of decorations and festivities which some do. I'm a bit bah-humbug about many aspects of Christmas and I find some of it quite hard work ( - I don't mean physically). I am not keen on how commercial it's all got but that's the way these days.

However I think Christmas remains important even if you ignore the religious bits. It's a time when most people will get in touch, even if it's only a few lines in a card, with friends and family they otherwise maybe don't see much of. It's also a time when at least some people are out there "doing good" for charities and less fortunate people, and it's all very visible and reminds us how lucky we are. And of course it's a time when families can have quality time together, especially the kids who maybe don't see a lot of their parents due to work etc. I could go on with why I like Christmas but I won't.

I also think it's possible you have probably influenced your discussions and therefore your conclusion by framing your discussion in line with your agenda, and people have simply gone along with it.

However we are all different and you and your family and friends are welcome to your knock out drops. Maybe you could buy them for each other for Christmas... oh, no, wait a minute :-)

Merry Christmas... :-)
 Only 7 sleeps to go - The Melting Snowman
>>Any holidays lose some of their importance once you are no longer working, for sure.

Agree totally. This year has been the year when I have largely given up work. I get dragged back to work occasionally if the contract is both interesting and lucrative enough, although in truth we don't need the money. I find holidays rather odd now because in many ways it's not a holiday anymore. It's just life, everyday seems a holiday. I have started to do more charity work to give me some focus and will soon start training for school lollipop duties for the primary school.

I'm looking forward to Christmas Eve though. The usual party in the pub with the darts team. We start off at 6pm with steak and chips, then darts and beer until about 9pm when the bar maid brings out sandwiches. By about 10pm we have given up on darts as not many can see straight enough and we just drink beer. My missus picks me up at about 1am after the pub have kicked us out. I used to walk back to the house but when I didn't make it back one year my missus has insisted she picks me up.
I think I became jaded with regard to Christmas when I changed career and went into retail some 25years ago. Being self employed, and with both large business loans ( plural) and mortgage, I saw it purely as a money making exercise, to stave off the lean times from mid Jan to end February.
Fortunately I really enjoyed my work, and 7 days a week from mid Nov until Xmas Eve, with final deliveries to my customers around 9:30 or later when the children were in bed, was never a chore. Now that I'm no longer involved in the retail industry.... some building work, painting, gardening, office chores at a solicitors, I see it from the outside.
I shall send half a dozen animated ecards to overseas friends nearer the time, but am so glad I don't have to entertain family on the big day. Quite a few of my friends, and their spouses, who all have grown up children living a few hours drive away, escape to our local pubs 12-2:45 then go for a nice curry @3pm, which this year is costing £25 per head. No meal to cook. No special food shopping. No washing up. And bring your own booze to the curry house. Sorted.
 Only 7 sleeps to go - Fullchat
Christmas? Worn out before it gets here. :[
 Only 7 sleeps to go - Bobby
When I worked in the supermarkets I loved Xmas day as it meant a day off! But I also got a buzz just helping folk out in the shop, corny I know but to know that you had helped customers get what they wanted to make sure they had a good xmas was very satisfying.

I always go to "midnight mass" which is usually about 9pm. I wouldn't say I am religious but our local Chapel does put on a very good mass with great singing, very solemn but also plenty of time for reflection.

Have sent & received loads of xmas cards and pretty sure every present I have bought for others will be appreciated and useful rather than just buying something for the sake of it.

Christmas day will have the family round. Wife is working (nurse in a Hospice) and rather than be fed up about working, she feels honoured to be able to spend time with her patients at what will probably be their last Christmas.

Dinner will start when she comes home, about 3.30, and finish around 10pm. A great family time, with kids aged 22 and 19, don't get enough of sitting together as a family without someone having something to rush away for.

(sorry of this doesn't fit into this bah humbug xmas thread :))
 Only 7 sleeps to go - CGNorwich
Nice to here that someone sees the sunny side of life. A bit early but have a great Christmas, actually I know you will.
I'm glad to hear that Bobby. A good friend of mine is a palliative nurse and she always enjoys working Xmas Day, as does my SiL, a midwife.
I just think it sad that for many families, Xmas Day is the only time they sit round the table to dine en famille. Too much time shopping for scran, prepping, and not enough together time. I was fortunate that in previous lives I could spend at least 2 hours over a meal with family at least once a week.
 Only 7 sleeps to go - Ted
The two eldest are at their in-laws this year so we've had an invite to youngest daughter in Stockport...partner and two boys 6 and nearly 12. Already played one game with the 6 yr old. Box of jelly beans, spin an arrow and land on a colour and that's the bean you have to eat Half are nice...other half flavours of...baby wipes, rotting food, dead mice, etc. I got 'vomit' and spat it out straight away ! Still taste it now !

Seventeen here on Boxing Day for a big curry and buffet. No doubt all the kids will be on the computer all the time. My 26 inch monitor beats an I.Phone anytime for games !

I haven't bought any pressies, nor do I expect any. SWM dealt with the grandkids and also the cards although I printed the address labels out.
 Only 7 sleeps to go - Dutchie
Full of a nasty cold at the moment won't leave me yet.Lost a bit of weight not eating enough Diana is worried about me.

Never mind, we have the granddaughter with us for a few days.Daughter is busy at work and G.D.Dad is in Poznan to see his family.For a little girl 4 and a bit she speaks fluent English and reasonable Polish and a few swear words in Dutch>:)

One of our sons who lives in London is stopping for a week with his girlfriend at our house.Eldest son is visiting and daughter also over Christmas.

I've sent cards to family in the low lands and wished them all the best.Live goes on in this turbulent world full of unrest.
 Only 7 sleeps to go - Roger.
We are in Northern Ireland staying with daughter, son in law and our two grandchildren. Security is ever present here on base with armed guards on the gate.
 Only 7 sleeps to go - Focal Point
"Only 7 sleeps to go"

Why is it "sleeps"?

Why not 7 breakfasts, 7 showers, 7 whatever-most-people-do-every-days?

If I have a sleepless night, does that count?

At least "days" as a measure of time are the same for everybody.

And while I'm in the merry Christmas mood/mode, why do people say, "See you later" when they have no plans to see the other person at any particular time, let alone the same day? Why not just say, "See you"?

Grumpy - moi?
 Only 7 sleeps to go - Duncan
>> "Only 7 sleeps to go"
>>
>> Why is it "sleeps"?

It's a kids thing. That's what they call it.

>> And while I'm in the merry Christmas mood/mode, why do people say, "See you later"
>> when they have no plans to see the other person at any particular time, let
>> alone the same day? Why not just say, "See you"?

What is wrong with Goodbye?

>> Grumpy - moi?

Certainly not. Completely normal, healthy, irrational response.
It's particularly prevalent on Trip Advisor forums for places like Corfu and Tenerife where the members excitedly count down the days to their annual visit to the land of sunbeds and cheap lager
 Only 7 sleeps to go - sooty123
Big reader of such forums? ;)
Oh yes. They can be very entertaining.
I didn't know they even had forums on TA, however i think I'll leave that particular stone unturned.
Every destination has one They can actually be a source of useful information. They can also provide an amusing insight into the mindset of the average British Tourist
I have used the TA forums extensively. When visiting somewhere new, or planning a route, advice provided by local knowledge can be most helpful. In addition to guidebooks etc pre trip.
That's the problem sorting the wheat from the chaff. I just buy a book or if I'm away with work just have a wander about or occasionally a brief look online.
 Only 7 sleeps to go - rtj70
Sometimes guide books are written by people who haven't visited the location. That's how it seems when you know the destination well and what has been said is so far from being correct or useful.
I don't find them too bad, although mainly I'll just ask someone who's been there. If neither then I'll just cuff it.
'7 sleeps' is how Asda advertise it on their digital readout at the Griefley store
>> Why is it "sleeps"?
>>

Why not?

why do people say, "See you later" when they have no plans to see the other person at any particular time, let alone the same day?

Well unless you never see them again in your life, inevitably you will see them later on. ;)
 Only 7 sleeps to go - The Melting Snowman
That's one of my fears, meeting people I don't want to in the next life. Can't make up my mind whether I want to go upstairs or down. I think down may be preferable, it certainly seems to be where some of the more interesting people I've met are heading. If one believes in all that of course.
 Only 7 sleeps to go - BiggerBadderDave
18 ham-shanks to go.
Latest Forum Posts