Non-motoring > Remote Control signal "light" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bobby Replies: 5

Remote Control signal "light" - Bobby
I remember a while back, probably Nokia phones, if you pressed a remote control button and looked at it through a phone camera, you could see a white "light" being emitted.
I am having problems with my fire remote and tried this with my iphone6 but no light showing. Also tried with another couple of remotes that I do know are working and still no light?

Anyone care to test theirs and let me know if it works ?
 Remote Control signal "light" - VxFan
The fire remote is Bluetooth, that's why you can't see the sensor flashing on the camera screen.

However, an infra-red remote should still be seen on a digital camera. Saying that though, I've just tried it with my iPhone SE and it didn't work with the main camera, but when I switched it to the FaceTime camera it did. Looks like whatever camera lens Apple use in the iPhone 6 & SE can't see infra-red.
I've also just tried it with my old iPhone 4, and both cameras still see the infra-red light.

Another way to test a remote is to hold it near a radio that's tuned to AM that's not tuned to a station. You should hear beeps coming from the speaker. n.b. it won't do this with your fire remote btw.

EDIT - a quick google mentions that the latest digital cameras have UV and infra-red filters which explains why your iPhone 6 and my iPhone SE cannot see the sensor. The FaceTime camera doesn't have such filters fitted as they're just designed for video calling.
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 19 Dec 16 at 01:25
 Remote Control signal "light" - rtj70
As VxFan says the Amazon FireTV remote is Bluetooth. It has to be because it will usually sit behind the TV plugged into an HDMI socket so no line of sight.

What's your problem with the remote? Has it become unpaired? Have you tried the FireTV remote app on your phone? It will connect over WiFi and let you select a FireTV - it auto connects if there is only one on the network.

You can go into the Settings menu and check on the remotes the FireTV box has configured.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 19 Dec 16 at 11:06
 Remote Control signal "light" - Bobby
Cheers for info re cameras but to stress, this is not for my Firestick but for the remote control of my gas fire!
I can turn the controller up and down with a remote control.
Will check the FaceTime camera out when I get home as opposed to now when I am half sozzled on a train!!!
 Remote Control signal "light" - rtj70
So does anyone in the house have a phone with IR? Because you could put it in learning mode and see if a signal is received from the fire remote. If not a phone what about a tablet with IR capability?

If everything is now an iPhone or iPad then this idea is a non-starter. I've found the IR-blaster capability on the Samsung Galaxy S6 and the HTC One M7 before it very useful.
 Remote Control signal "light" - VxFan
>> Cheers for info re cameras but to stress, this is not for my Firestick but
>> for the remote control of my gas fire!

Easy mistake to make, when described as "I am having problems with my fire remote"

;)

Anyway, like I've previously said, try the FaceTime camera, or the radio tuned to AM/MW.

Or even an older digital camera.
Latest Forum Posts