Non-motoring > Consumption on the network.. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 9

Consumption on the network.. - R.P.
www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Interesting to watch changes over a couple of hours tonight.
 Consumption on the network.. - Ambo
Just gives me "This page can't be displayed".
 Consumption on the network.. - henry k
>> Just gives me "This page can't be displayed".
>>
I get the same response but it worked yesterday

Overload ?
 Consumption on the network.. - Old Navy
Me too, the link was ok yesterday. Maybe the grid does not want to advertise how close a few million turkeys cooking put us to a blackout.
 Consumption on the network.. - Dutchie
Interesting to see reminds me of my old job for years on process.

Happy Christmas to all.
 Consumption on the network.. - smokie
It's OK here, now. Last update 12:15

Happy Christmas everyone!!
 Consumption on the network.. - zippy
I know its not full capacity at the current time and its windy but it is interesting to see that wind power, which is derided by so many of a certain political stance, is generating 23.4% of the required demand. Nuclear is generating 31% at full capacity - with 15 power stations.

Given the cost of nuclear power stations and the potential danger. I think that a few extra wind mills are not a bad thing.
 Consumption on the network.. - spamcan61
>>
>> Given the cost of nuclear power stations and the potential danger. I think that a
>> few extra wind mills are not a bad thing.
>>
Good luck when the wind isn't blowing or blowing too strongly. A fundamentally unreliable energy source until a widely usable method of large scale energy storage is found.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Sun 25 Dec 16 at 20:42
 Consumption on the network.. - spamcan61
>> Me too, the link was ok yesterday. Maybe the grid does not want to advertise
>> how close a few million turkeys cooking put us to a blackout.
>>

The site has no connection with the generation companies, indeed the guy (presumably) who set it up did so, it would seem, to show how big a gamble shutting down reliable means of generation and 'replacing' them with renewables is. He posts over on uk.d-i-y as 'The Natural Philosopher', e.g:-

groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.d-i-y/gridwatch%7Csort:relevance/uk.d-i-y/UlOOi6xxrHA/IQpleoXhBQAJ

The site is run as a hobby, finance wise, so it does fall over sometimes, usually when there's a sudden burst of traffic due to media exposure of the site.
 Consumption on the network.. - zippy
Renewable energy alone is not a panacea. The next step is to store the energy generated for use at a later stage.

With solar steam plants they are storing the energy of the sun by melting salt. When power is needed the hot salt is used to generate steam for turbines.

With wind and solar power lithium batteries are suggested to be used on an industrial scale.

If these can reduce coal burning and contribute to an overall reduction in pollution then surely they can't be a bad thing?
Latest Forum Posts